Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

See my blog' date=' baby![/quote'] Re: your blog entry Freedom of the press. Your blog entry (the first couple of paragraphs could fit in in the random musings thread) reminded me of this quote:

One night, probably in 1880, John Swinton, then the preeminent New York journalist, was the guest of honour at a banquet given him by the leaders of his craft. Someone who knew neither the press nor Swinton offered a toast to the independent press. Swinton outraged his colleagues by replying:

"There is no such thing, at this date of the world's history, in America, as an independent press. You know it and I know it.

There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the streets looking for another job. If I allowed my honest opinions to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone.

"The business of the journalists is to destroy the truth, to lie outright, to pervert, to vilify, to fawn at the feet of mammon, and to sell his country and his race for his daily bread.

You know it and I know it, and what folly is this toasting an independent press?

We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance. Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes."

(Source: Labor's Untold Story, by Richard O. Boyer and Herbert M. Morais, published by United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers of America, NY, 1955/1979.)

This is your "freedom of the press" that provides a check and balance to democracy...according to John Swinton.

edit: quote missattributed see link and this one before replying. Consider me 'snooped'. :(

See my blog' date=' baby![/quote'] that being said (previous post) I've enjoyed the two entries on your blog, I haven't read the most recent one.

The first blog entry gives me empathy on the situation in Isreal. Good luck being a anachist-rebel(1) with a democratic cause. Sounds like Isreal needs it.

(1) As you are going agaist the established system, and promoting a better, fairer one, to the general view of society, to me, that makes you a rebel. From what you have said (not putting words in your moth, just my impression) the Establishment would see you as an anachist.

I thought that was pretty good' date=' btw, though I only checked out the first page referred to.[/quote']

I just started it yesterday, so you... um... checked out the... um... only page. Its got three entries now, though.

that being said (previous post) I've enjoyed the two entries on your blog, I haven't read the most recent one.

The first blog entry gives me empathy on the situation in Isreal. Good luck being a anachist-rebel(1) with a democratic cause. Sounds like Isreal needs it.

(1) As you are going agaist the established system, and promoting a better, fairer one, to the general view of society, to me, that makes you a rebel. From what you have said (not putting words in your moth, just my impression) the Establishment would see you as an anachist.

I'm not a dissident yet, but I'm working on it!

Bringing Israeli society under the iron heel of my boot so my fellow citizens can know true liberty...

I *almost* believe it too. A megalomanic selling liberty and freedom to the unwashed masses. Umm, yeah, that'll work.

re: Von D-Man's recent blog entry where he quotes The Clash.

I reply whith my own quote from "punk" band The Who on the closing of the song Tattoo from The Who Sell Out: "Radio London reminds you: Go to the church [synagogue] of your choice."

I *almost* believe it too. A megalomanic selling liberty and freedom to the unwashed masses. Umm' date=' yeah, that'll work.[/quote']

You will accept freedom - even if I have to bring it at the point of a gun!

Okay, maybe that's self defeating....

I have a university exam tomorrow. Thanks to my assignment marks' date=' I need a mere 43 out of 170 to pass the subject. And I'm nervous as hell because I understood very little of the subject, in spite of my results to date, and I struggled mightily with the practice exam papers - and that was without a time limit!![/quote']Yeah, I'm responding to my own old post, but these are Random Musings...

Anyways, I just passed with a Distinction. I say "just passed" because I found out AFTER the exam that you have to get 50% for the Exam to pass, regardless of your overall result, and the way the marks add up (I already had 28.5% from my assignments, and a Distinction is 75-84%), I know I got between 50 and 55% for the Exam. Due to my assignment marks, my only three options were High Distinction, Distinction, and Fail!!

Yeah' date=' I'm responding to my own old post, but these [i']are [/i]Random Musings...

Anyways, I just passed with a Distinction. I say "just passed" because I found out AFTER the exam that you have to get 50% for the Exam to pass, regardless of your overall result, and the way the marks add up (I already had 28.5% from my assignments, and a Distinction is 75-84%), I know I got between 50 and 55% for the Exam. Due to my assignment marks, my only three options were High Distinction, Distinction, and Fail!!

congrats.

You will accept freedom - even if I have to bring it at the point of a gun!

Okay, maybe that's self defeating....

We were playing a game of Aeon, we had finished defeating some terrorists and freed the hostages, my character was asked to give a quote on camera, so I came up with:

"Once again, a threat to freedom has been ground under the steel boot of justice."

So what you're saying is' date=' there is not enough storage in all the world for Zornwil to start a blog.[/quote']

Well, there's enough storage for everyone, as long as we all use write-only memory.

• 2 weeks later...