Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Worked outside in my yard all weekend. I'm pretty stiff and sore, but worst of all is my left hand. I tore the skin off my palm while digging out/prepping our vegetable garden. Hurts like a summagun. It's like a giant blister, about an inch and a half square. I've got it all bandaged up, and have been slathering it with neosporin every night and every morning.

On the plus side, I got a lot of work done. We planted tomatoes and peppers and squash and pumpkins and cucumbers and sunflowers. And some other types of flowers too. I still have to mulch the garden, and install some sprinklers for the new flowers. But it's fun. I enjoy it. Except I'm not going to be doing any digging for a while now.

Sorry to hear about the hand, but good on ya for the veggies. With food prices where they are and where they're going, I wish I had land for a garden.

Also, gardening is a good workout in and of itself.

As to the blisters, have you tried soaking your hand in Epsom salts 20 minutes or so a day? It sometimes helps.

Sorry to hear about the hand, but good on ya for the veggies. With food prices where they are and where they're going, I wish I had land for a garden.

Also, gardening is a good workout in and of itself.

Yeah, it's fun. Don't know how many veggies we'll get out of it this year -- this is the first year we've tried it at our new house, and if past experience is any guide it'll be a year or two before we get the hang of this location's particular vaguaries. :)

Have you guys tried container gardening? That's what we did at our condo, and it worked pretty well.

As to the blisters, have you tried soaking your hand in Epsom salts 20 minutes or so a day? It sometimes helps.

Not blisters, blister (singular). Spoilers cause the following description is icky and shouldn't be read by people with queasy stomachs...

See, a large chunk of the top layer of skin on my palm basically separated and tore off, leaving this big flap of skin. I didn't even notice it at first (the palm of my hand kinda hurt, but I figured I was just getting a small blister, no big deal). I was wearing gloves at the time, and when I finally took my glove off was when I noticed it.

It was seeping a clear fluid, not blood. I went inside, washed it off as best as I could (hurt like a mutha), then got some surgical scissors and trimmed off most of the loose skin. I poured some hydrogen peroxide on it, which burned like a summagun (it seemed to cauterize the wound, actually).

I figured the palm of the hand was a bad place for a bandage, so I brushed some "liquid skin" on it. Which also hurt, a lot. And it didn't really help -- the liquid skin started peeling off almost immediately. So now I'm smearing it in Neosporin and covering it with an extra-large bandaid. Yesterday it bled a little but that seems to have stopped.

It looks pretty gross. If it starts to get infected or doesn't start healing, I'll go see the doc. Otherwise I think I'm doing everything I can.

Bill, I'd go see a doc anyway; there may be some therapy things he/she would advise to keep the skin healing up straight so you don't lose some mobility to scarring that might form. I doubt there's a problem but you never know.

Have you guys tried container gardening? That's what we did at our condo, and it worked pretty well.

Good thought.

Not blisters, blister (singular). Spoilers cause the following description is icky and shouldn't be read by people with queasy stomachs...

See, a large chunk of the top layer of skin on my palm basically separated and tore off, leaving this big flap of skin. I didn't even notice it at first (the palm of my hand kinda hurt, but I figured I was just getting a small blister, no big deal). I was wearing gloves at the time, and when I finally took my glove off was when I noticed it.

It was seeping a clear fluid, not blood. I went inside, washed it off as best as I could (hurt like a mutha), then got some surgical scissors and trimmed off most of the loose skin. I poured some hydrogen peroxide on it, which burned like a summagun (it seemed to cauterize the wound, actually).

I figured the palm of the hand was a bad place for a bandage, so I brushed some "liquid skin" on it. Which also hurt, a lot. And it didn't really help -- the liquid skin started peeling off almost immediately. So now I'm smearing it in Neosporin and covering it with an extra-large bandaid. Yesterday it bled a little but that seems to have stopped.

It looks pretty gross. If it starts to get infected or doesn't start healing, I'll go see the doc. Otherwise I think I'm doing everything I can.

Yikes! I agree with Cancer (the Hero Boards poster, not the star sign or family of diseases); even if it seems under control, a visit to the doc may be a good idea.

Of course, I type that as someone who avoids visiting the doctor unless I'm actually losing blood, and sometimes even then. ;)

I did the same thing to my palm a couple months back. I used a large bandaid with neosporin as well. As long as I kept changing the bandage and keeping it clean, it healed up pretty fast.

The skin on your palm usually heals pretty well and since it was just a blister, you'll probably be fine.

Note this comes from someone who only visited the ER three times between 1 & 18. And one of those times was a friend's mom. I already knew how to clean and dress a wound at five.

And what's a small copay for peace of mind?

My back hurts

My pride is faded

My curiosity is piqued

I want to be sedated.

Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated

Nothin' to do and no where to go-o-oh I wanna be sedated

Just get me to the airport put me on a plane

Hurry hurry hurry before I go insane

I can't control my fingers I can't control my brain

Oh no no no no no

Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go....

Just put me in a wheelchair, get me on a plane

Hurry hurry hurry before I go insane

I can't control my fingers I can't control my brain

Oh no no no no no

Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go I wanna be sedated

Nothin' to do and no where to go-o-o I wanna be sedated

Just put me in a wheelchair get me to the show

Hurry hurry hurry before I go loco

I can't control my fingers I can't control my toes

Oh no no no no no

Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go...

Just put me in a wheelchair...

Ba-ba-bamp-ba ba-ba-ba-bamp-ba I wanna be sedated

I always thought Eliza Dushku was kind of average looking' date=' but I'm not male so what do I know ? Also, I never went ga-ga over David Boreanaz. Not smart enough. I mean he wasn't smart enough.[/quote']

Well, I'm male and was never particularly impressed either. :)

Yeah, she's "average looking" in the Hollywood sense. On an absolute scale, if this woman walked down the street in your neighborhood in RL, she'd have a substantial fraction of the heterosexual male population following her drooling. Even the "ugly" chicks on TV shows look a lot better than average compared to people riding the bus home in the afternoon.