Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I am officially sick of hearing about Michael Phelps.

If he actually achieves his goal, maybe people will stop talking about it 24/7, at least after the hype dies down. That will also be the case if he fails, but we'll probably be subjected to it again in 2012.

Last night Georgia beat Russia in beach volleyball.

My reaction on hearing which teams were playing?

"Oh hell, no!"

Y'know, when I think of Russia, "beaches" is one of the last things I associate.

I have known for some time that people like to appear stupid.

What I have only just come to realize is that people actually like to feel stupid, too.

Welcome to the Real World, Log-Man! But what is worse is when the stupid think they are actually smart by believing in the "Conspiracy Theory Du Jour". Like "chemtrails". :rolleyes:

Reminds me of that ST:tnG episode where the bad guys kept stating "We are Smart". As if saying it made it so.

If he actually achieves his goal' date=' maybe people will stop talking about it 24/7, at least after the hype dies down. That will also be the case if he fails, but we'll probably be subjected to it again in 2012.[/quote']

Hey, at least he pushed Brett Favre off the front of the sports section.

Hey' date=' at least he pushed Brett Favre off the front of the sports section.[/quote']

And since he just beat Cavic by 0.01 seconds, he'll stay in the news. Gotta hand it to him, though; this was even more dramatic than the gymnastics events.

It requires remarkable lack of smarts to click on a link that ends in ".exe".

Sigh.

If you get an email like the one below, please do NOT click the link. Never open a link with a ".exe" at the end.

If you have clicked on one of these please let me know ASAP so I can clean your machine.

Thank you,

((snip))

Systems Administrator

Looks like he has a full day ahead of him. :mad:

EDIT: Sigh, now the Center director felt like he had to spam the whole organization telling folks not to chase those links. Good grief.

Sigh.

Oh man.

Reminds of the night I spent an entire shift cleaning parasites off of a machine at Kinko's. "I didn't do anything, I swear! I only install what I need to to play games and listen to music from these untrustworthy sites. I swear!" :ugly:

I once ran from one end of a building to the other and ripped a machine's connection out of the wall. Seems a sales weasel had disabled his anti-virus and then got hit with an virus that first mails itself off and then starts walking thru directories deleting them. Good thing it hit the local machine first before hitting the networked drives. I happened to have been in his email list.

This was when I was working at McAfee. I got a reprimand for swearing. :rolleyes:

I came into the office one morning and from the console messages decided my machine was being used as a spam springboard, so I yanked its cable out of the wall. Our sysadmin's office was across the hall from mine, and he went downstairs and disconnected the whole department while we figured out just what was going on.

Can someone tell me why it's so shameful and humiliating to "only" win a Silver or Bronze at the Olympics?

I swear to god, I will never understand sports fans. :no:

No idea.

Especially since the scores are often SO close, or even a matter of conjecture with some of the events.

Frankly, it's one of the reasons I just don't enjoy the Olympics ANYWHERE quite as much anymore, though for me a bigger turn off is the snarky commentators. Good lord, at every gymnastic or figure skating event it seems like they have one guy who's acting as if his lover just passed him up for a younger option or something and he's bitter... very very bitter about -all- the athletes, catty even.

I concur with both of you.

No there is no greater offense than coming in second. When we're very young they tell us otherwise but it's a lie to make us play sports and hopefully be good enough to support our parent's dreams of living vicariously through us.

And I LOVE sports. But man, I can see why those who don't, don't.

I think the whole "living vicariously" thing cited by Enforcer84 is the key to the issue. Most sports fanaticism comes out of people living vicariously through their favorite teams or players; I remember one study a few years back that found that the fans of winning teams showed elevated testosterone levels for up to 4 hours following a game, while fans of losing teams showed lower testosterone levels and elevated cortisol for up to twelve hours (so, if you want to build maximum muscle, follow a winning team). When a true fan sees his hero "fail", he feels as though he has failed; the fact that the player performed at a level far beyond the fan's ability, and that the player's performance had nothing to do with the fan at all, doesn't enter into the fan's point of view.

Of course, the other guys hobby always looks moronic if you don't share it.

Personally, I follow sporting events for good, healthy reasons; to view the exhibition of extraordinary skill; to see the goals to which I may aspire; to see athletic young women in skimpy outfits run and jump and play.

OK, so maybe that last one might get me into social trouble. Still, every man has his reasons.

I think the whole "living vicariously" thing cited by Enforcer84 is the key to the issue. Most sports fanaticism comes out of people living vicariously through their favorite teams or players; I remember one study a few years back that found that the fans of winning teams showed elevated testosterone levels for up to 4 hours following a game, while fans of losing teams showed lower testosterone levels and elevated cortisol for up to twelve hours (so, if you want to build maximum muscle, follow a winning team). When a true fan sees his hero "fail", he feels as though he has failed; the fact that the player performed at a level far beyond the fan's ability, and that the player's performance had nothing to do with the fan at all, doesn't enter into the fan's point of view.

Of course, the other guys hobby always looks moronic if you don't share it.

Personally, I follow sporting events for good, healthy reasons; to view the exhibition of extraordinary skill; to see the goals to which I may aspire; to see athletic young women in skimpy outfits run and jump and play.

OK, so maybe that last one might get me into social trouble. Still, every man has his reasons.

Beach Volleyball for the ..er respectable showing that showcased the participants skill and desire without focusing on the arbitrary standards of victory versus failure.

Of course' date=' the other guys hobby always looks moronic if you don't share it.[/quote']

"Hell is other peoples' hobbies." ;)

Personally, I follow sporting events for good, healthy reasons; <...> to see athletic young women in skimpy outfits run and jump and play.

Finally, someone's talking sense! :thumbup:

Sigh.

EDIT: Sigh, now the Center director felt like he had to spam the whole organization telling folks not to chase those links. Good grief.

That SysAdmin should add .scr, .com and possibly .bat to that list of "never click these".

Last night I dreamed that a coworker, obviously distraught, said he had to leave work. I thought it had to be a death in the family.

Okay, it was just a dream. I brushed it off.

Today, that same coworker had to leave work early when he found out his dog had died.

Unfortunately, I can't rep this yet.....

Lucius Alexander

And a reputable palindromedary