Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Since it costs me $80/month for the privilege of just being hooked up to the city sewer system' date=' before I even use it for anything, I would actually want the city to check before signing me up for it. (Not that I have any other option, cesspools being illegal in my neighborhood. I guess I could just hold it all in.)[/quote']

I paid 25$/month after I had water put to my empty lot. They also wanted to charge me $3/month for TV, but I talked them out of that. 30 months later, I built a house and saved $8000 on impact fees that were put in place in that time.

Oh, and we do pay a sewer fee as well now. Even though we can't have sewer, we had to have septic.

Since it costs me $80/month for the privilege of just being hooked up to the city sewer system' date=' before I even use it for anything, I would actually want the city to check before signing me up for it. (Not that I have any other option, cesspools being illegal in my neighborhood. I guess I could just hold it all in.)[/quote']

Hey, if it's not in liquid form, it's not a cesspool. :D

Well, except at least in Pittsburg the person signing up for the service is who owes for it, not just the owner of the property. So before you can say "I want to take legal responsibility for the water/sewer bill at x address" you not only have to prove you are who you say you are (reasonable in my opinion), but you have to prove that you either own or are renting that property. Which seems strange to me.

Well' date=' except at least in Pittsburg the person signing up for the service is who owes for it, not just the owner of the property. So before you can say "I want to take legal responsibility for the water/sewer bill at x address" you not only have to prove you are who you say you are (reasonable in my opinion), but you have to prove that you either own or are renting that property. Which seems strange to me.[/quote']

Will Pittsburgh permit it if the property owner/renter accompanies you and signs their consent for you to take responsibility for the billing? That way, one could help support someone like a relative.

With the USA Presidential election only months away, this thought occurred to me today:

How much of America is controlled and directed by Americans?

Likewise, how much of Australia is controlled and directed by Australians?

My intention is not to be disingenuous, but to ask honest historical questions without moving (not the best word for what I mean) into conspiracy theory.

(more in a follow up post)

I would think it primarily depends upon what you mean by "controlled" and "directed". If it is restricted to just the control and direction of who to vote for, then there is very little (if any) crossover of control & direction. If you expand it to include things like economic influences (owning of property/businesses, international trade), and signed treaties, then it's a bit more, since that "control" is exerted upon the people who are currently in office at the time.

I would think it primarily depends upon what you mean by "controlled" and "directed". If it is restricted to just the control and direction of who to vote for' date=' then there is very little (if any) crossover of control & direction. If you expand it to include things like economic influences (owning of property/businesses, international trade), and signed treaties, then it's a bit more, since that "control" is exerted upon the people who are currently in office at the time.[/quote']

I don't mean any of those things.

Doesn't seem that strange to me at all' date=' if it prevents total strangers from signing up random properties for sewer access, or shutting it off.[/quote']

I can see not wanting to let random people shut off services, but I don't see the problem with letting random people pay for it. As I've said before from what I can tell the person that signs up for service is responsible for the bill. Not the person that lives there, but the person that signed up for service. So a random person signing a house that they don't live in up for sewer service has cost the resident absolutely nothing.

I can understand requiring that you prove who you are, and even them running a credit check on you. It is just the "prove you legally live there" that confuses me. Though not wanting squatters to be able to set up service makes some sense.

Care to define your terms? :)

I though it was obvious: ;)

or paraphrasing: how much of America is run under its own steam by Americans? I don't mean people you vote for, nor do I mean economic influences, signed treaties...maybe.

Gotta now get ready for work.

I can see not wanting to let random people shut off services' date=' but I don't see the problem with letting random people pay for it. [/quote']

I think it prevents people from breaking into a closed house, setting up service and living there while the home owner is somewhere else.

I think it prevents people from breaking into a closed house' date=' setting up service and living there while the home owner is somewhere else.[/quote']

Yeah, which is why I mentioned squatting later in the post. Though it seems odd to me that that would be a big problem. And for that matter that if it is a big enough problem why PG&E doesn't also require that kind of verification.

The fact that the City of Pittsburg doesn't seem to have access to Contra Costa County paperwork also seems odd to me. Presumably the sale of the property had to be registered with the county for a reason. I guess it is asking too much for the city to be able to directly ask the county records about such things. Rather than assuming that the person trying to set up the service to provide documents when they don't trust them to tell the truth...

I though it was obvious: ;)

or paraphrasing: how much of America is run under its own steam by Americans? I don't mean people you vote for, nor do I mean economic influences, signed treaties...maybe.

Gotta now get ready for work.

Guess you thought wrong then :)

Personally, I don't know how much of us is controlled by us.

I'd hazard it's less than we'd like to think, but more than we fear in our darkest hours of paranoia.

One answer with no answer? Check!

I would not be too surprised to find that most American economic giants have their main cash stores/assets out of the country for tax reasons and that foreign investors have theirs here for similar reasons.

But I have no concrete or even fanciful numbers.

Personally, I don't know how much of us is controlled by us.

I'd hazard it's less than we'd like to think, but more than we fear in our darkest hours of paranoia.

Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, and Colonel Sanders before he went tits up.

Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"

Oh, you know, just a general sense that my life has spiralled irreversibly out of control since I made one or two crummy decisions. Just self-centered whining, really. The job and the kids are great, but boy are they draining. And I'm pretty much stuck with them forever.