Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Pulled this off a different discussion 'cause I didn't want to derail.

The whole Minbari/Blackstar thing always confused the hell out of me. Tell me if I got this wrong:

1. Earth and Minbar went to war.
  2. The Minbari, with their superior technology, kicked Earth's adze. Destroyed every single ship the Earth fleet had. Won every single encounter. Massacred whole colonies. Killed millions (if not billions) -- civilians, soldiers, women, children, didn't matter. Brought the war right to Earth's doorstep, and were prepared to render the whole human race extinct.
  3. Humans, in the entire course of the war, destroyed exactly one Minbari ship -- the Blackstar. One. One ship, against the hundreds (thousands) of Earth ships that the Minbari destroyed. Just one.
  4. And so the Minbari warrior caste wanted vengeance against the Earth captain who did it? Dude, seriously, WTF??? Our one against your several hundred -- how about if we just call it even?

Jebus, I liked the show but that one thing always confused the hell out of my poor bunny brain. :confused:

??

You mean, you don't understand how a supposedly alien species can think and act in a manner so exactly like Humans?

As I understand it, it turns out later that the Minbari basically ARE Human, or vice versa. Time travel is involved. So things like having them act in such an obviously Human way are probably just foreshadowing the big reveal that they're even less "alien" than they look.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is more alien than it looks.

God' date=' grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.[/quote']

Grant me the courage to change the things I can, the power to change the things I can't, and the wisdom to change things for the better.

Lucius Alexander

And I am grateful for the palindromedary

God' date=' grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.[/quote']

Grant me the courage to change the things I can' date=' the power to change the things I can't, and the wisdom to change things for the better.[/quote']

Goddess, bless me with wisdom. :P

Pulled this off a different discussion 'cause I didn't want to derail.

The whole Minbari/Blackstar thing always confused the hell out of me. Tell me if I got this wrong:

1. Earth and Minbar went to war.
  2. The Minbari, with their superior technology, kicked Earth's adze. Destroyed every single ship the Earth fleet had. Won every single encounter. Massacred whole colonies. Killed millions (if not billions) -- civilians, soldiers, women, children, didn't matter. Brought the war right to Earth's doorstep, and were prepared to render the whole human race extinct.
  3. Humans, in the entire course of the war, destroyed exactly one Minbari ship -- the Blackstar. One. One ship, against the hundreds (thousands) of Earth ships that the Minbari destroyed. Just one.
  4. And so the Minbari warrior caste wanted vengeance against the Earth captain who did it? Dude, seriously, WTF??? Our one against your several hundred -- how about if we just call it even?

Jebus, I liked the show but that one thing always confused the hell out of my poor bunny brain. :confused:

That part confused me too. But I remember an episode a season or two later where a Minbari was talking to Delenn. He said Sheridan didn't destroy the Blackstar in an honorable manner but used subterfuge instead. That could have been the problem some Minbari warriors had with Sheridan.

Conquer the world...

http://www.ikariam.org/

There's also Travian. Everybody starts as a leader of a Roman, Gaul, or village. Trade and conquor your way to the top as the game progresses.

That part confused me too. But I remember an episode a season or two later where a Minbari was talking to Delenn. He said Sheridan didn't destroy the Blackstar in an honorable manner but used subterfuge instead. That could have been the problem some Minbari warriors had with Sheridan.

If I were Sheridan, my reply would be "Hey, any victory that keeps me alive is an honorable one."

If I were Sheridan' date=' my reply would be "Hey, any victory that keeps me alive is an honorable one."[/quote']

He pretty much said that early during his tenure. He told Ivanova he wasn't about to apologize for the only real victory Earth had in the war.

God, I feel geeky remembering all this when I haven't seen those episodes in years.

Reportedly, before Islam, the Kaaba in Mecca was home to the images of 360 Deities.

It sounds like the ancient Arabs had a well-rounded religion.

Nah, it's just a religion of degrees.

We could still Blue Box it. And did so. Luckily someone also had a Red Box on them' date=' made things easier. If we had a Black Box Wagon Mound would have lost phone service. Alas, that is non-standard equipment.[/quote']

Phreaky! :winkgrin:

, grant me the wisdom to know what things I can change, the courage to make the change, and the firepower to get the job done. :D

So' date=' I'm watching Quantum of Solace and 3/4 of the way through the movie I start thinking: "That blood stain on Bond's shirt should be a deep russet brown by now," and it starts annoying me that its still a dusty lipstick red color. Then it hits me: if they made it a deep russet brown 95% of the audience would freak out because it was red even though dried blood turns a brownish color. You can't win for losing.[/quote']

Haven't seen it yet. Perhaps he was still "leaking", thus keeping the stain refreshed and moist?

He pretty much said that early during his tenure. He told Ivanova he wasn't about to apologize for the only real victory Earth had in the war.

God, I feel geeky remembering all this when I haven't seen those episodes in years.

Geeky? I have autographed pictures of all the main cast (except Boxleitner/Sinclair and O'hare/Sheridan). I even have Stephen Furst (Vir), Wayne Alexander (Lorien/Sebastian), Robin Atkin Downes (Byron), Walter Koenig (Bester), Marjorie Monaghan (Number One), and Maggie Egan (ISN Anchor) to name a few. :D

Buy your tickets soon. The prices go up as it gets closer to Labor Day weekend. All of the host hotels are already full, so don't even try, unless you can snag a cancellation.

Basically, I start planning next year's Dragon*Con as soon as I get home from last year's. I even buy my membership for the next year there, because it saves me something like 20 bucks for 2 tickets.

The popularity of Dragon*Con is insane.

Geeky? I have autographed pictures of all the main cast (except Boxleitner/Sinclair and O'hare/Sheridan). I even have Stephen Furst (Vir)' date=' Wayne Alexander (Lorien/Sebastian), Robin Atkin Downes (Byron), Walter Koenig (Bester), Marjorie Monaghan (Number One), and Maggie Egan (ISN Anchor) to name a few. :D[/quote']

You win! :winkgrin:

I've known a couple of Bill Smith's, and my RL surname is Brown. I know of no cousins of mine named Joseph. Browns have a relatively long list of given names that should be avoided, not merely because of historical notoriety (John Brown, e.g.; the Browns I've known whose legal name was John tended to go by Jack), but because they turn into bad puns (Russell --> Rusty Brown; Sandra --> Sandy Brown; u.s.w.). Consequently, I can say from personal knowledge that there's some non-statistical selection working in there.

I've known a couple of Bill Smith's' date=' and my RL surname is Brown. I know of no cousins of mine named Joseph. Browns have a relatively long list of given names that should be avoided, not merely because of historical notoriety (John Brown, e.g.; the Browns I've known whose legal name was John tended to go by Jack), but because they turn into bad puns (Russell --> Rusty Brown; Sandra --> Sandy Brown; u.s.w.). Consequently, I can say from personal knowledge that there's some non-statistical selection working in there.[/quote']. . . No Charleses?