Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Sigh...

My sister lost her baby. Almost died during the surgery. I heard there were "complications" but I didn't know the half of it. I'm glad she called and I'm probably glad I didn't know all the details as they were happening as it would have been unbearable.

She's ok now, relatively speaking. And her husband Joe has been awesome. It's tough when they're halfway around the world.

I'm sorry to hear about the baby, but glad that your sister's going to be okay.

I wrote this jody (marching song) many years ago while I was in the Air Force.

I don't know but so I've heard

Flying high is for the birds.

But the powers that made us gave us wings:

Mind that makes and heart that sings.

Born to suffer, born to die -

Born for freedom, born to fly!

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

I wrote this jody (marching song) many years ago while I was in the Air Force.

I don't know but so I've heard

Flying high is for the birds.

But the powers that made us gave us wings:

Mind that makes and heart that sings.

Born to suffer, born to die -

Born for freedom, born to fly!

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

That is awesome!

That is awesome!

Thank you.

My flight used to sing it while running.

I'd like to think other flights heard it from them and passed it down and that it may still be chanted by airmen in basic training.....

But it's probably not.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary gives me a three forty one.

Just singing it to myself almost makes me feel reconciled to being mortal.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suspects that Lucius will never be totally reconciled to mortality. Like Fritz Leiber's Adept: "As if every cubit he could not see and tread upon were a silver manacle upon his wrist, every moment before or after his own life, a silver crucifying nail."

A co-worker sent me an adopt-a-pet page spotlighting a dog that her mom wants to adopt. At the bottom of the page were other pets, including a cat that looks like Hitler. I clicked on his picture to read his story. My heart broke.

Someone go adopt Willie. I can't because I'm not in Iowa. :(

Cute cat. I'm always amazed on how animals can come back from that sort of trauma. I've seen too much of that.

We have a couple cats that recently arrived at the sanctuary that had lighter fluid put on them and lit. They've healed pretty well, even though Bo is missing the tips of his ears. Tiny is still a bit wary of people, but it doesn't take much to win her over. Bo runs right up to people.

3433045081_7790ed9d49.jpg

The last Hubble Servicing Mission was launched today with Atlantis.

I was at the meeting in January 1994 ... over 15 years back now ... when they announced the results of the first servicing. Near the end of the talk, after the ooh-aah pretty pictures from the newly corrected optics, the reporters and spouses and other non-astronomers were baffled near the end when the scientists (myself among them) broke into spontaneous applause at an ugly, skimpily-labeled black-and-white Y-versus-X dot diagram put up on screen ... applause that had not happened for the earlier pretties.

But in that diagram, there ... there, for the first time ... was the science the telescope was supposed to be able to do, science that could not be done from the ground or from any other orbiting instrument that had yet flown. For over a decade the community had waited for that, tormented by the heartbreaking disappointment in the discovery of the misfigured primary mirror, ... and there in one casual working diagram was the irrefutable evidence that HST was, indeed, going to be the Great Observatory everyone hoped for.

When the data-handling hardware gave out last fall, science from the telescope went into arrest. We shall see in the coming month or so if the old lady can be woken for another few years of things we have never been able to see before.

Collection of the coolest Hubble Space Telescope pictures -- http://www.collthings.co.uk/2009/04/hubbles-greatest-photos.html

Cute cat. I'm always amazed on how animals can come back from that sort of trauma. I've seen too much of that.

We have a couple cats that recently arrived at the sanctuary that had lighter fluid put on them and lit. They've healed pretty well, even though Bo is missing the tips of his ears. Tiny is still a bit wary of people, but it doesn't take much to win her over. Bo runs right up to people.

3433045081_7790ed9d49.jpg

Looks like he's wearing a batman mask

I missed my first California earthquake. Apparently, everyone else in town felt it, but I didn't notice a thing.

I expect it is because the weighty power of my mighty tread prevented the earth from shaking in my immediate vicinity. Even the very world itself ph3ars my might! :king:

Was it that 5.0 (maybe 4.7?) that happened (IIRC) Monday evening very near/under Los Angeles? I get earthquake email alerts for the California area.

Cabbie: So, what are you in town for? Business or pleasure?

Me: Just business.

Cabbie: Oh, business is so terrible these days. I just don't know what to do! I've never seen it like this, and I've been in this country for thirty years. People losing their jobs, their houses. It's crazy! So how's business with you?

Me: Pretty good, actually.

Cabbie: So, what do you do?

Me: I'm a hit man.

Cabbie: *silence*

Cabbie: *laughter* You're a hit man. Ha! You don't look like a hit man.

Me: What does a hit man look like?

Cabbie: Well... he's... he wears a suit and looks like a monster*.

Me: Is that so?

Cabbie: Sure! ... Isn't it?

Me: Sometimes, sometimes not.

Cabbie: *silence:

Cabbie: If you were a hit man, you wouldn't tell me about it. That's crazy!

Me: It's OK. You won't tell anyone.

Cabbie: Are you sure?

Me: Well... even if you did, no one would believe you. Your friends would all think it's a load of bulls**t.

Cabbie: I think it's a load of bulls**t.

Me: You don't believe me, your friends won't believe you... So it's OK I told you. Nobody ever believes it, at least, not until it's too late to do anything about it.

Cabbie: *silence:

* Or maybe it was "mobster"

So hitman is better than art director or working in the p**n industry hey?

So how is the 6e of Dark Champions coming along? :winkgrin: