Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Thank you.

My flight used to sing it while running.

I'd like to think other flights heard it from them and passed it down and that it may still be chanted by airmen in basic training.....

But it's probably not.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary gives me a three forty one.

I also think your marching song is really good. It's not a form I think much about, but it does strike me when I hear it in popular culture, and interesting as to the tribal nature of such things.

Cute cat. I'm always amazed on how animals can come back from that sort of trauma. I've seen too much of that.

We have a couple cats that recently arrived at the sanctuary that had lighter fluid put on them and lit. They've healed pretty well, even though Bo is missing the tips of his ears. Tiny is still a bit wary of people, but it doesn't take much to win her over. Bo runs right up to people.

3433045081_7790ed9d49.jpg

That's why I couldn't do what you do, but it's (truly) awesome that people like you (and you yourself) do. A tragic story comes to mind but I won't bother to repeat it.

I knew the name' date=' and i knew he was scifi, but i didn't realize how much of it was property writing.[/quote']

He did the novelization of The Last Starfighter too. And his original works about a wizard who used Rock music were quite good as well...wish I could remember the titles...

He did the novelization of The Last Starfighter too. And his original works about a wizard who used Rock music were quite good as well...wish I could remember the titles...

The Spellsinger Series. I enjoyed them quite a bit back in high school.

Steady paychecks' date=' and with property, the writing doesn't have to be good. In fact, I had the impression that the opposite was required. :straight:[/quote']

I'm waiting for Alan Dean Foster's novelisation of Lord of the Rings.

( :D )

. . . That gave me a headache because it's believable. :nonp:

That being shorthand to "I wonder if a book was turned into a film and they did a novelisation of the film".

Like Alan Dean Foster's novelisation of Ron Howard's "Angel and Demons" or his novelisation of "The Ten Commandments" or Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ. :P

The Spellsinger Series. I enjoyed them quite a bit back in high school.

Oh, THAT guy.

After reading the first book I wanted to track him down, slam him against a wall, get right in his face, and say

Arboreal means it has to do with trees you idiot, it does NOT mean "flying." The word you wanted was ""aerial" not "arboreal!" A squirrel is arboreal, because it lives in a tree! A bat is NOT arboreal because it lives in a freaking cave! Got it?? Now repeat it. Now say "I will know the meaning of a word before using it in a book." You're going to repeat THAT sentence umpteen hundred times, or I'm putting your head through the wall. Do you want to know why you're saying it umpteen hundred times? Because that's how often you abused the word "arboreal" in the novel Spellsinger and by the time I got to the end of the book it was ANNOYING AS HELL!!

*ahem*

Annoying is probably the wrong word. The first time, it was annoying. When he continued to do it consistently and frequently, especially in a book that was otherwise a fine and interesting novel, it went way beyond annoying.

Of course, I suppose it's possible that Foster actually used the right word (in which case he'd simply be guilty of overusing a single word way too many times in one novel) and it's some ignorant proofreader at the publisher that vandalized his work. In which case some anonymous ignoramus needs his head beaten against a wall and needs a stern warning to find some other line of work and to never, ever presume to correct someone else's writing as if he had a clue what he was doing. In fact, that anonymous ignoramus should be fired and defenestrated anyway for not catching the error even if they didn't perpetrate it. They're a total incompetent either way.

Lucius Alexander

:rofl: Watching a palindromedary try to demonstrate "arboreal" but the palindromedary is out of its tree.

I never watched LOST but I've heard so much about it that I got the first disc on Netflix. I finally got around to watching it today and I have two questions.

1) How much of this is shot in shaky cam? Another episode of that crap and I'm stopping.

2) Am I supposed to like any of these characters? I find I'm more interested in watching these people die. Right now I think a better title for the series would be "Ass****$ on a Beach."

I hope it gets better. Or maybe I'm just not the audience.

Only Ep 1 is shot like that. Some other episodes have action, but they don't have the budget for full-bore shakycam.

Some flashbacks use the footage again.

All the main characters are jerks, but Jack, John, Kate and Sawyer take the cake and I still wish them death. Unhappy death.

Lesson One for Lost: Your survival rate goes up with the level of backstabbing @$$hattery you do.

My wife is still an avid Lost Fan, and while I quit paying much attention 3 or 4 Ep into Season 2 she is now on Season 4. She loves it. Dunno why.

The Island is the best character on the show, too bad the writing tanks it for me. But the wife watches it in the background when we're in the office so I've seen snippets of many ep and have heard most of them.

My advice - if you can hang in through the halfway point of Season 2 or so you will probably like the show.

Watching a palindromedary try to demonstrate "arboreal" but the palindromedary is out of its tree.

So the palindromedary is out on a limb this time? :D

Marshmallows coated with Oreoes and dipped in melted chocolate and marshmallow are yummy yummy yummy !

That sounds good enough to risk the insulin shock. :yes:

Is it just my perception, or are people here on the Hero Board becoming less tolerant and civil?:confused:

If so, I think that's a very bad thing. :(

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks the answer is militant moderism. All you extremists, up against the wall!

I think it's more a perception thing. Most of the views are similar as they have been over the last couple years, but sometimes someone just posts more and it hits other peoples thresholds. Which spikes up the energy for a bit.

One of our cats was found in Henderson yesterday.

AC called me up, and since we had a transport in Vegas, we picked him up right away.

A little skinny and scared last night, but doing well this morning.

I try to contact the adopter.

Her numbers are all disconnected, but since we did have a change of address, I start looking into things. Every number I find for her, invalid. Email bounced as well.

I look at property records.

She and her husband bought Property A, in 2003 for $135k.

They adopted in 2007.

House is foreclosed upon in 2008. They owe 390K. House is sold for $250K.

I check the new address. It's owned by someone with the first name and initial that are the same as the husband, but different last name. It had been bought in 2002 by a single guy.

He and I'm guessing ex-wife had bought a different house in 1999. She was the only seller in 2002.

A lot of spaghetti, but very little leads anywhere. I did find the adopter's work place and facebook page though. Perhaps contacting on Tuesday.

Grrrrr. Bad ownwers! No kitty! :no:

Grrrrr. Bad ownwers! No kitty! :no:

Well, it could be he got out. Accidents happen, though they are supposed to contact us when the address changes so that we can contact them.

Right now, I'm more worried about the two cats roaming the sanctuary right now. We have traps with people checking on them regularly. Just hoping we get the cats before the coyotes do.

In related news: Kitten Season floods local shelters

Though it's more than just Salt Lake from what I hear from people in Phoenix & Las Vegas. Spay & Neuter folks.