Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

And that article was written in '82.

The damn monopoly has held, and I still won't buy the stupid shiny rocks.

I'm just waiting for our latest & greatest artificial diamond manufacturers to torpedo the DeBeers monopoly in the name of diamond CPUs.

Ah, DeBeers. The wonderful people behind the "How many months of your salary you use to buy your engagement ring is the only true measure of how much you love your soon to be spouse" crap. Fortunately my lovely wife bought into their line about as well as I did...

I've noticed, and I might be wrong it may have always been this way; however, the latest commercials I have heard seem to be speaking directly to women regarding their engagement rings.

I kind of thought it was to be a surprise?

Anyway, as to the whole jewelry thing...seems we've always warn it in some fashion, it's pretty, and yes, expensive. Beyond that I have no complaints. If a guy's idea of a great gift is a bass boat (for example) and his wife wants a necklace that costs the same as a bass boat; happy exchanging!

I've noticed, and I might be wrong it may have always been this way; however, the latest commercials I have heard seem to be speaking directly to women regarding their engagement rings.

I kind of thought it was to be a surprise?

When I proposed to Keri, I gave her a fairly straightforward solitaire. Knowing that she didn't like solitaires. And making sure with the store that if (or in this case when) my wife wanted to exchange it for a ring that she really liked it wouldn't be a problem. I looked for a while and finally decided that there was a chance that I could pick out the ring that she would most like, since she was going to wear it most every day for a very long time, I'd rather she have something that she liked.

So I bought the solitaire as a placeholder, since I also knew that Keri wouldn't take as serious a proposal that did not include a ring. And then we went back to the jewelry store the next day and exchanged it for the real deal.

The amusing part? Not only did she pick one of the two finalists from before I decided to just get a placeholder ring, but her two finalists were the same as my two finalists. :D

The amusing part? Not only did she pick one of the two finalists from before I decided to just get a placeholder ring, but her two finalists were the same as my two finalists. :D

It sounds like you picked a winner then, if you 2 understood each other that well.

For me, getting an engagement ring was easy - my ex once mentioned in passing (yeah, right!) if anyone were to ever give her an engagement ring, a simple platinum band would do, since she didn't like gemstones in rings. Well, I took that at face value, and got her a solid platinum band. She loved it.

And now that we're divorced, she can actually sell it if she wants too - I've never heard of anyone turning down platinum.

The irony is that had I told my mother ahead of time I was going to propose, she had an heirloom she wanted to give me: my grandmother's 1/2 carat diamond ring. So much for diamonds never going back into circulation ;)

By the way, I did eventually get that ring from my mom. If I am ever in desperate need of a diamond, I've got one. If not, someone else can inherit it to use when I pass away.

Heh. I remember saying to myself, "Two months' salary? WTF? How are my fiance and I supposed to eat, make car payments, and pay our rent? F*** that noise."

We went to the jewelry store together and picked out a beautiful amethyst stone (her birth stone!) with a gold and silver band -- for a helluvalot less than even a crappy diamond chip would've cost. I wouldn't want to marry a girl who demanded a diamond.

Heh. I remember saying to myself, "Two months' salary? WTF? How are my fiance and I supposed to eat, make car payments, and pay our rent? F*** that noise."

We went to the jewelry store together and picked out a beautiful amethyst stone (her birth stone!) with a gold and silver band -- for a helluvalot less than even a crappy diamond chip would've cost. I wouldn't want to marry a girl who demanded a diamond.

And I've seen two months listed as a bottom end kind of thing. 3-6 months seems to be what they are pushing now.

I got Keri a diamond ring (5 smallish ones in it in fact). But it cost nowhere near 2 months salary. Heck, it cost nowhere near 1 months salary.

I got my wife a platinum band with a diamond, it was about 3/4 of a months salary or something. Looks nice. She likes diamonds, but not huge ones, and the place I went doesn't push more carats.

In fact the saleslady spent way more time trying to get one with 'just the right flaw' to catch light in the ring I got than she ever did worrying about size or price.

Just finished watching season 7 of "24" on DVD.

Why do they have to leave this thing in such a god-awful cliff-hanger. :angst:

To make you watch next season.

Both me and my dad have decided not to watch it anymore.

The amusing part? Not only did she pick one of the two finalists from before I decided to just get a placeholder ring' date=' but her two finalists were the same as my two finalists. :D[/quote'] Nice story. I guess you two have great taste.

Destined to be together. Woot. :celebrate

The last time I got engaged, I did the same thing my brother in law did when proposing to my sister.

Spent the time, sweat and blood to make the ring from scratch.

C'mon, Diamond Thugs... TRY and tell me your hunk of upjumped coal means more than that.

I double dog dare you.

The last time I got engaged, I did the same thing my brother in law did when proposing to my sister.

Spent the time, sweat and blood to make the ring from scratch.

C'mon, Diamond Thugs... TRY and tell me your hunk of upjumped coal means more than that.

I double dog dare you.

Keri and I thought about doing that for our wedding rings. Even looked into a place that gave classes on it. We ended up not having the time to do it, but haven't ruled out the possibility of redoing our wedding rings at some point in the future. :)

boom.

I guess I'm still fine....and the universe is still crazy.

But I could have sworn I saw it in one of those motivational posters...

Lucius Alexander

Does the palindromedary think I'm nuts?