Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Well' date=' we could run....[/quote']

Can't do that, either. 'Bec is like the Reavers: if you run, you'll just draw his attention... and then the chase is on... and the chase has only one, very sad, ending. And, yes, I used the word "ending" on purpose.

Can't do that' date=' either. 'Bec is like the Reavers: if you run, you'll just draw his attention... and then the chase is on... and the chase has only one, very sad, ending. And, yes, I used the word "ending" on purpose.[/quote']

Very good Reavers analogy... add in a 50 gallon drum of chunky peanut butter, a wool brush, and a used jock strap to your usual Reaver welcome, and you'd have one heck of a party :D

Very good Reavers analogy... add in a 50 gallon drum of chunky peanut butter' date=' a wool brush, and a used jock strap to your usual Reaver welcome, and you'd have one heck of a party :D[/quote']

Yes, that did NOT need to be a duplicate post. :P

Edit: technical observation - I can see how it probably occurred. Pages apparently arent updating from a quick reply with quote. It tried to trick me, too. Funky.

Yes, that did NOT need to be a duplicate post. :P

Edit: technical observation - I can see how it probably occurred. Pages apparently arent updating from a quick reply with quote. It tried to trick me, too. Funky.

For me, it's been doing that on most of my posts since the problem this site had about a week ago, IIRC.

I love astrophysics. Where else would you encounter the phrase' date=' "post-impact silicate atmosphere" in reference to conditions on Earth (albeit right after the impact that caused the formation of the Moon)? [/quote']

Science Fiction?

Lucius Alexander

Pre Impact Palindromedary

My coworker tells me that today is Genghis Khan Appreciation Day. He's probably full of it' date=' but still, I do appreciate Genghis Khan and everything he did for the survivors of central Asia.[/quote']

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1350272/Genghis-Khan-killed-people-forests-grew-carbon-levels-dropped.html

Genghis Khan the GREEN: Invader killed so many people that carbon levels plummeted

By Daily Mail Reporter

UPDATED: 06:47 EST, 25 January 2011

Genghis Khan has been branded the greenest invader in history - after his murderous conquests killed so many people that huge swathes of cultivated land returned to forest.

The Mongol leader, who established a vast empire between the 13th and 14th centuries, helped remove nearly 700million tons of carbon from the atmosphere, claims a new study.

The deaths of 40million people meant that large areas of cultivated land grew thick once again with trees, which absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

And, although his methods may be difficult for environmentalists to accept, ecologists believe it may be the first ever case of successful manmade global cooling.

‘It's a common misconception that the human impact on climate began with the large-scale burning of coal and oil in the industrial era,’ said Julia Pongratz, who headed the research by the Carnegie Institution's Department of Global Ecology.

‘Actually, humans started to influence the environment thousands of years ago by changing the vegetation cover of the Earth's landscapes when we cleared forests for agriculture,’ she told Mongabay.com.

The 700million tons of carbon absorbed as a result of the Mongol empire is about the same produced in a year from the global use of petrol.

That's gotta count for something.

JG