Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

My first memories of growing up were with my mother living with her parents right after she divorced my dad. They (the grandparents) were very Catholic, so they were always going to Church, and usually taking us (me and mom) with them. My mom was not very religious, though, so once she re-married and we moved out, that was the last I saw of Church. Then I was sent to a Catholic High School. True, mom sent me there mainly because it was a college prep school, but religion was still pretty unavoidable.

For most of my life, I considered myself Christian and spiritual, but never religious. Then, in late 2008, early 2009, I had a pretty severe case of cognitive dissonance with certain important elements of Christianity, which (to me) made it impossible for me to keep calling myself Christian. I was spiritually adrift for a while, and found my way into Paganism. There is really no "label" for my Path, though I once heard someone describe me as a "solitary shamanic eclectic practitioner". In other words, I'm not part of a group or coven, and most strongly resonate with shamanism, but will still draw elements from other traditions which also resonate with me.

In fact, today my wife and I are marking the Solstice by driving to the Luray Caverns to pursue personal spiritual guidance.

I think Ben Franklin came to fear lightning at some point in his career. Or at least respect it.

I don't empty my bowels at the thought of it, but I fear lightning enough to get inside when it's lightninging out.

But Franklin figured out how to protect you and the building from lightning which also pissed off some religious types at the time.

I've never understood that attitude.

If science explains lightning, then the sheeple will have one less reason to fear the man in the sky. Fear of the man in the sky is the primary means of control we have over the sheeple, therefore scientists must be burned at the stake. QED.

If science explains lightning' date=' then the sheeple will have one less reason to fear the man in the sky. Fear of the man in the sky is the primary means of control we have over the sheeple, therefore scientists must be burned at the stake. QED.[/quote']

Hahahah. Thanks for the laugh Old Man With Christian God avatar.

I'm so proud to be a Floridian.

Manatee riding? 911 phone sex? That's weird Fla.

" In 2012, Florida was a state where a lifeguard got fired for saving a life, a woman got arrested for riding a manatee and a man repeatedly used 911 as a phone sex service.

Think that's weird? It gets worse and more tragic.

In one of the state's most horrifying stories of the year, a man stripped a homeless man naked and attacked him in Miami, chewing off most of his face before police fatally shot him. And it wasn't the only story of its kind. In Manatee County, deputies used multiple Tasers to subdue a naked man who bit off part of another man's arm.

Later in the year a man won a roach-eating contest outside a Deerfield Beach pet store and then dropped dead in front of the store when body parts of the dozens of roaches he swallowed blocked his airway. ... "

And that's just the beginning. http://www.gainesville.com/article/20121227/WIRE/121229731/1034

Florida: The state that even Nevada can point to and laugh.

JG