Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

We have these running around here wild. People catch them and sell them as pets for twenty bucks. For a while I had three that I'd found and kept as pets, but they turned out not to be compatible with the cat. I wound up letting the survivor go.

These are an invasive species here, but then so is almost everything else. That's what happens when you live in the extinction capital of the galaxy.

JacksonMale%284%29.jpg

We have these running around here wild. People catch them and sell them as pets for twenty bucks. For a while I had three that I'd found and kept as pets, but they turned out not to be compatible with the cat. I wound up letting the survivor go.

These are an invasive species here, but then so is almost everything else. That's what happens when you live in the extinction capital of the galaxy.

JacksonMale%284%29.jpg

That was something I found quite humerous when I visited the big island. It was like a giant game of the old lady who swallowed the fly. Rats came with ships, so they brought in mongooses (mongeese?), but they are out during the day and rats out at night. Someone brought in Cane Toads to eat insects in the sugar cane fields, but the toads are on the ground, and the pest insects at the top of the stalk...

I felt kind of bad about the Nenes, very sweet birds, but dumb as a rock.

Loved all the fruit though, had many dinners of fruit salad the three weeks I was there.

That was something I found quite humerous when I visited the big island. It was like a giant game of the old lady who swallowed the fly. Rats came with ships, so they brought in mongooses (mongeese?), but they are out during the day and rats out at night. Someone brought in Cane Toads to eat insects in the sugar cane fields, but the toads are on the ground, and the pest insects at the top of the stalk...

I felt kind of bad about the Nenes, very sweet birds, but dumb as a rock.

Loved all the fruit though, had many dinners of fruit salad the three weeks I was there.

It's be funnier if those were the only examples, but there are so many others. Like the carnivorous snails they brought in to control the African snail population, which promptly ignored all the African snails and ate all the native ones.

We have plenty of less-disastrous introduced species too. We have wild parrots now after some pets got out and bred. And there are currently plenty of brown ankle lizards that are all over the place eating bugs and each other. I'm not sure if the wallabies are still around; I think they became popular with the local pig hunters.

Saw Margaret Cho live this weekend. She led off by mentioning that the LAPD manhunt guy called her one of the most beautiful women in the world on his manifesto. I checked his manifesto and' date=' lo and behold, he actually did. Not the most coherent manifesto I've ever read, though.[/quote']

This somehow fails to surprise me.

JG

It surprised me' date=' but then I hadn't realized how much weight Margaret Cho had lost. She looks pretty good now.[/quote']

She finally sold out? :winkgrin:

There's a coherent part?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says I'm partly coherent

http://atlantadailyworld.com/201302083721/ADW-News/full-text-of-christopher-dorner-s-manifesto

I ask that all journalist investigating this story submit request for FOIA with the LAPD to gain access to the BOR transcripts which occurred from 10/08 to 2/09. There, you will see that a video was played for the BOR members of Mr. ----- who suffers from Schizophrenia and Dementia stating that he was kicked by a female officer. That video evidence supports my claim that ----- kicked him twice in the upper body and once in the face. I would like all journalist to also request copies of all reports that I had written while employed by LAPD. Whether in the academy, or during my 3 years as a police officer. There are DR#’s attached to each report (investigative report) that I have ever written so they all exist. A FOIA request will most likely be needed to access these at Parker center or at the Personnel/Records. Judge my writin/grammar skills for yourself. The department attempted to paint me as an officer who could not write reports. Even though Sgt. ----- a training officer who trained me stated for the BOR panel that there was nothing wrong with my report writing and that I was better than all rookie/probationer officers he has ever trained. Officer ----- stated the same but refused to testify as he did not want to “get involved” with the BOR’s. Contact Sgt. -----,(now a Captain at Lompoc PD), Sgt. -----, and Sgt. -----. All will state that my report writing was impeccable. I will tell you this, I always type my reports because I have messy handwriting/penmanship. I never had a single kickback/redlined report at Southwest division and Sgt. ----- and Sgt. ----- can testify to that. I never received an UNSATISFACTORY on any day or week. The same can be said within the U.S. Naval Reserves. All commanders will state that my report writing was always clear, concise, and impeccable. Even search my AAR (after action reports),chits, Memorandum’s, IIR’s (Intelligence Information Reports) which were written in the Navy. All were pristine.

...Terminating officers because they expose a culture of lying, racism (from the academy), and excessive use of force will immediately change. PSB can not police their own and that has been proven. The blue line will forever be severed and a cultural change will be implanted. You have awoken a sleeping giant.

I am here to change and make policy. The culture of LAPD versus the community and honest/good officers needs to and will change. I am here to correct and calibrate your morale compasses to true north.

...If you had a well regulated AWB, this would not happen. The time is now to reinstitute a ban that will save lives. Why does any sportsman need a 30 round magazine for hunting? Why does anyone need a suppressor? Why does anyone need a AR15 rifle? This is the same small arms weapons system utilized in eradicating Al Qaeda, Taliban, and every enemy combatant since the Vietnam war. Don't give me that crap that its not a select fire or full auto rifle like the DoD uses. That's bull***t because troops who carry the M-4/M-16 weapon system for combat ops outside the wire rarely utilize the select fire function when in contact with enemy combatants. The use of select fire probably isn't even 1% in combat. So in essence, the AR-15 semiautomatic rifle is the same as the M-4/M-16. These do not need to be purchased as easily as walking to your local Walmart or striking the enter key on your keyboard to "add to cart". All the firearms utilized in my activities are registered to me and were legally purchased at gun stores and private party transfers. All concealable weapons (pistols) were also legally register in my name at police stations or FFL's. Unfortunately, are you aware that I obtained class III weapons (suppressors) without a background check thru NICS or DROS completely LEGALLY several times? I was able to use a trust account that I created on quicken will maker and a $10 notary charge at a mailbox etc. to obtain them legally. Granted, I am not a felon, nor have a DV misdemeanor conviction or active TRO against me on a NCIC file. I can buy any firearm I want, but should I be able to purchase these class III weapons (SBR's, and suppressors) without a background check and just a $10 notary signature on a quicken will maker program? The answer is NO. I'm not even a resident of the state i purchased them in. Lock n Load just wanted money so they allow you to purchase class III weapons with just a notarized trust, military ID. Shame on you, Lock n Load. NFA and ATF need new laws and policies that do not allow loopholes such as this. In the end, I hope that you will realize that the small arms I utilize should not be accessed with the ease that I obtained them. Who in there right mind needs a f***ing silencer!!! who needs a freaking SBR AR15? No one. No more Virginia Tech, Columbine HS, Wisconsin temple, Aurora theatre, Portland malls, Tucson rally, Newtown Sandy Hook. Whether by executive order or thru a bi-partisan congress an assault weapons ban needs to be re-instituted. Period!!!

Mia Farrow said it best. "Gun control is no longer debatable, it's not a conversation, its a moral mandate."

Law enforcement officer thinks more laws will end gun violence

Breaks the law to start gun violence

If possible, I want my brain preserved for science/research to study the effects of severe depression on an individual's brain.

Me too.

It's kind of sad I won't be around to view and enjoy The Hangover III. What an awesome trilogy. Todd Phillips, don't make anymore Hangovers after the third, takes away the originality of its foundation. World War Z looks good and The Walking Dead season 3 (second half) looked intriguing. Damn, gonna miss shark week.

Mr. Vice President, do your due diligence when formulating a concise and permanent national AWB plan. Future generations of Americans depend on your plan and advisement to the president. I've always been a fan of yours and consider you one of the few genuine and charismatic politicians. Damn, sounds like an oxymoron calling you an honest politician. It's the truth.

Hillary Clinton. You'll make one hell of a president in 2016. Much like your husband, Bill, you will be one of the greatest. Look at Castro in San Antonio as a running mate or possible secretary of state. He's (good people) and I have faith and confidence in him. Look after Bill. He was always my favorite President. Chelsea grew up to be one hell of an attractive woman. No disrespect to her husband.

Gov. Chris Christie. What can I say? You're the only person I would like to see in the White House in 2016 other than Hillary.

...The honorable President George H.W. Bush, they never give you enough credit for your successful Presidency. You were always one of my favorite Presidents (2nd favorite). I hope your health improves greatly. You are the epitome of an American and service to country.

General Petraeus, you made a mistake that the majority of men make once, twice, or unfortunately many times in a lifetime. You are human. You thought with your penis. It's okay.

...Tebow, I really wanted to see you take charge of an offense again and the game.

...Jennifer Beals, Serena Williams, Grae Drake, Lisa Nicole-Carson, Diana Taurasi, N'bushe Wright, Brenda Villa, Kate Winslet, Ashley Graham, Erika Christensen, Gabrielle Union, Isabella Soprano, Zain Verjee, Tamron Hall, Gina Carano, America Ferrara, Giana Michaels, Nene, Natalie Portman, Queen Latifah, Michelle Rodriguez, Anjelah Johnson, Kelly Clarkson, Nora Jones, Laura Prepon, Margaret Cho, and Rutina Wesley, you are THE MOST beautiful women on this planet, period. Never settle, professionally or personally.

Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" is the greatest piece of music ever, period. Hanz Zimmer, William Bell, Eric Clapton, BB King, Bob Marley, Sam Cooke, Metallica, Rob Zombie, Nora Jones, Marvin Gaye, Jay-Z, and the King (Louis Armstrong) are musical prodigies.

...Anonymous, you are hated, vilified, and considered an enemy to the state. I personally view you as a culture and a necessity that brings truth to a cloaked world. Forge ahead!

Charlie Sheen, you're effin awesome.

Chris Dorner could be the coolest serial killer since Charlie Manson. :D

JG

Asked in my class this morning:

"How many of you are comfortable with your math?"

(rather small number of hands)

"How many of you are comfortable with your sexuality?"

(More hands, though still a small portion of the class)

More than likely they've had more time to practice the latter by themselves.

JG

Last Friday I got my introduction to Plato that I ordered. The author of the 80 page volume is R. M. Hare which was recommended from another book, also on Plato. I have read about half of it and have found it really interesting and not dull. Unfortunately I haven't picked it up again for a few days, however from what I have read a summary is below:

Plato, he thought of the children. Namely how to educate them to live good lives. The children would naturally ask, "why?" and so Plato sought to answer this question posed by the kids into finding out what is "Good"; how do we reliably (and sustainably) know "Good"; then how can we pass this on through education, and also ergo how should a society be structured if governed by Good people. The last part is important as this enables those who have been educated into Good, to pass this onto the next generation and being reliable and sustainable understanding/knowing, this Goodness will cycle from one generation to the next.

Plato thought of the children as the solution for the politics of everyman-for-himself in his home city of Athens -- where democracy was born -- Plato, friend of parents.

The early chapter on the historical background of Athens in the time just before and during Plato's life really captured and provided impetus to aim (in part) to Plato's philosophy (which I have commented above). I also feel that this motivation to discover a sustainable and reliable understanding of Good that could be taught to children is largely continuing the mission of his mentor Socrates. We know that Socrates was condemned to drink hemlock on trumped up charges of disbelief in the gods and corrupting the young.

In many ways I feel that Socrates "corruption of the young" through Plato is still as relevant today as it was then. Yes, the thinking of Plato maybe more than out-of-date but I feel we can follow Plato's process using modern thinking/philosophy* and better answer his question: how do we educate our children to know right from wrong, good from bad (or evil), and structure our society on such an sustainable & reliable answer that can be carried over from one generation to the next?

*According to Alfred North Whitehead, "The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato" (Process and Reality, p. 39, Free Press, 1979).

So for those who reckon Plato is droll and boring, I hope that this might have made you reconsider said opinion, just a bit.

Plato isn't dull and boring, he's extremely scary. ;)

JG