Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Care to elaborate?

There is some accuracy to the statement that "all Western philosophy is basically the footnotes and commentary to Plato." Unfortunately, Plato was the first major philosopher to promote the concept that the Ideal was not only a model to emulate in physical existence, but ontologically more REAL than physical existence, meaning that any fool with an Ideal could promote a way of living completely at odds with the needs of existence and get people to follow it, and any attempt to argue with it on the grounds that it didn't fit the physical world was considered ultimate evidence of its worth.

To give an idea of how this actually plays out, read "The Emperor's New Clothes." Or the history of the Catholic Church.

JG

There is some accuracy to the statement that "all Western philosophy is basically the footnotes and commentary to Plato." Unfortunately, Plato was the first major philosopher to promote the concept that the Ideal was not only a model to emulate in physical existence, but ontologically more REAL than physical existence, meaning that any fool with an Ideal could promote a way of living completely at odds with the needs of existence and get people to follow it, and any attempt to argue with it on the grounds that it didn't fit the physical world was considered ultimate evidence of its worth.

To give an idea of how this actually plays out, read "The Emperor's New Clothes." Or the history of the Catholic Church.

JG

Just so i understand you, you are saying that the Ideal realm is used for justifying behaviour that unnatural?

One example i can think of is during the Middle Ages when the priests, pope said that those who fight in the Crusades and reclaim Jerusalem will have their sins forgiven and be given a place in heaven. That one of the ten commandments specifically is against killing is well forgotten. Ditto, the selective amnesia that Jesus gave two commandments, to Love God and Love yourself and your neighbour.

Just so i understand you' date=' you are saying that the Ideal realm is used for justifying behaviour that [is'] unnatural?

No, more like impractical to the point of impossibility.

One example i can think of is during the Middle Ages when the priests, pope said that those who fight in the Crusades and reclaim Jerusalem will have their sins forgiven and be given a place in heaven. That one of the ten commandments specifically is against killing is well forgotten. Ditto, the selective amnesia that Jesus gave two commandments, to Love God and Love yourself and your neighbour.

That could be counted as an example. Jesus was clearly more willing to die than to shed someone else's blood. But Christian doctrine does recognize a "just war" concept. So on one level that's reconciling the ideal to reality. On the other hand, it's failing to acknowledge that the ideal either is not being practiced sincerely or CANNOT be practiced sincerely.

JG

Dear Death Tribble:

I pay less than no attention to the Oscars, or any other media prize event, and I think that people who do pay attention to them (unless they are actually in that racket so it qualifies as a profession interest) are foolish.

Oh, one other thing I took away from the Oscars. Never host them. They'll tear you apart, the ungrateful SOBs. I think the only positive reaction I can recall was for Billy Crystal's first time.

I was thinking about the discovery of the Higgs Boson' date=' and about the theory that the inteaction with the Higgs Field is what gives matter mass. Why is it that it only gives matter mass, when matter and energy are supposed to be equivalent according to Einstein?[/quote'] But what then gives Higgs Field & Higgs Boson substance?

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down]Turtles all the way down[/url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down)

• 2 weeks later...