Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Two deaths' date=' unrelated but almost exactly (off only by hours) a year apart, in our department. Both senseless; both accidents, I hope; and summing the ages of the deceased yields a number distinctly less than mine.[/quote'] condolences to the university and family involved.

In the last week I have read four articles saying the US economy is going great. Someone is trying to herd the suckers together with that sort of media campaign. This makes me deeply suspicious of another bubble collapse' date=' and I am considering cashing out all my investments and burying the cash in a coffee can in the back yard. [/quote']

Compared to Austerityland, I mean Europe, the US economy is doing fine. Despite the best attempts of Congress to kill growth in a recession.

Of course, I wonder who the target audience is for the articles you mention. If you're in the top 5%, the economy is probably doing okay. The stock market is going nuts, and housing is taking off as well. Unfortunately all that activity is being driven by the hedge funds and speculators, so things aren't getting much better for real people. Unemployment is slooooowly getting better, or it was before sequestration, which is only now starting to really have an effect. Housing is absolutely a bubble. The stock market might be.

Seriously the system is rigged heavily in favor of the financial sector right now and I honestly don't think things are going to improve until that changes. Instead of five 2B2F banks, we now have four 2Bigger2F banks. Those banks still get to mix banking with investments, and they're actually starting to securitize other things the way they did with mortgages. No one responsible for the crash has even been charged with a crime, let alone jailed, or put up against a wall and shot like they deserve. The bankers game LIBOR, and they pay a small fine. They fradulently approve mortgages, and they pay a small fine. And they buy off one political party just to make sure it stays that way.

In the last week I have read four articles saying the US economy is going great. Someone is trying to herd the suckers together with that sort of media campaign. This makes me deeply suspicious of another bubble collapse' date=' and I am considering cashing out all my investments and burying the cash in a coffee can in the back yard. [/quote']

Compared to Austerityland, I mean Europe, the US economy is doing fine. Despite the best attempts of Congress to kill growth in a recession.

Of course, I wonder who the target audience is for the articles you mention. If you're in the top 5%, the economy is probably doing okay. The stock market is going nuts, and housing is taking off as well. Unfortunately all that activity is being driven by the hedge funds and speculators, so things aren't getting much better for real people. Unemployment is slooooowly getting better, or it was before sequestration, which is only now starting to really have an effect. Housing is absolutely a bubble. The stock market might be.

Seriously the system is rigged heavily in favor of the financial sector right now and I honestly don't think things are going to improve until that changes. Instead of five 2B2F banks, we now have four 2Bigger2F banks. Those banks still get to mix banking with investments, and they're actually starting to securitize other things the way they did with mortgages. No one responsible for the crash has even been charged with a crime, let alone jailed, or put up against a wall and shot like they deserve. The bankers game LIBOR, and they pay a small fine. They fradulently approve mortgages, and they pay a small fine. And they buy off one political party just to make sure it stays that way.

Everything Is Rigged: The Biggest Price-Fixing Scandal Ever

The Illuminati were amateurs. The second huge financial scandal of the year reveals the real international conspiracy: There's no price the big banks can't fix

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/everything-is-rigged-the-biggest-financial-scandal-yet-20130425?print=true

Just reading through The Economist from back in 1939 (because of reasons). One of the big stories of July 1939 was the Republicans ganging up with conservative Democrats in the Senate to move amendments to a bill that would have destroyed the American (and by extension, world) financial system.* It actually worked (for the five days the bill was held in committee), but the Treasury used technical arguments to avoid the bad thing happening.

Apparently it was worth it because it showed that Roosevelt was a "dictator." America. Never change.

*Details as follow: blah blah gold-silver-dollar peg Agricultural Adjustment Act Monetary Stability Act blah

Dear Oklahoma' date=' What did you do to piss off mother nature so badly? With sympathy, Old Man.[/quote'] Dear Old Man,

Wouldn't you like to know. And remember to eat your brussel sprouts

Mother Nature

It figures that Mother Nature would be from Australia.

• 4 weeks later...
Why is it in Star Trek whenever some Vulcan rejected logic and lack of emotion' date=' he/she became fanatical and/or violent? Why couldn't they ever portray Vulcans who just wanted to boogie-woogie?[/quote'] Because Vulcans are illogical.

I'm out for a week and no-one posts a Where is Death Tribble thread or even laments/rejoices at the fact
because there have been problems with the forums, two hard drives in the RAID went.

for laments and rejoices check out recent posts to Random Video thread...if you dare...

I'm out for a week and no-one posts a Where is Death Tribble thread or even laments/rejoices at the fact
because there have been problems with the forums, two hard drives in the RAID went.

for laments and rejoices check out recent posts to Random Video thread...if you dare...

Yeah, I couldn't even log on for several days. I was about to stoop to reading rpg.net.