Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Is thorazine named for Thor? And if so, does that make it the pharmaceutical equivalent of hitting the malady with a big thrown hammer?

For that analogy, radiotherapy might fit better.

So LM, you going to see Thor?

Unknown. Perhaps next weekend ... This weekend I'm working evening shift at the neurology ward.

I had a middle-school aged kid call me a "dirty Jew" at the pharmacy this week -- totally out of the blue.

I suspect it was the kippa and tzitzit that gave me away.

Anyhow, his aunt - who looked absolutely mortified - tore into him in a rapid-fire, napalm-hot Spanish.

I told him, "Young man, if you want to play the dozens you're going to have to up your game."

He had no idea what the dozens were.

I did not say, "your mother mistook you for afterbirth and left you for the strays."

When the aunt apologized to me I bows and said, "Madame, you appear to have things well in hand."

Which she did. Literally. Ear cartilage really bends between the fingers.

When she made him apologize, I told him: "Being a minority does not render you immune to bigotry and racist hatred."

He looked shocked.

In truth, when he said it, I almost laughed. And, I almost felt for the little bastard -- it was clear he'd get worse at home.

I am proud to be a Jew, and like most committed Jews I have a Jesuitical obsession with cleanliness.

Or, should I say Mosaic?

Well, there's one for the books -- welcome to the inner city.

I have never met a Jewish person I did not like.

I not sure if it because we have similar senses of humor or because my own worldview is closer to Judaism than Christianity? *shrug*

• 2 weeks later...

When I was but a youth, I decided to become a cultured and sophisticated gentleman. I found I had a genuine appreciation for classical music and fine art. I studied hard and learned many of the classics. I abstained from alcohol for many years, as drinking and smoking were against my principles. I still don't smoke, but I've learned to appreciate good wine. 

Then I realized what I've become. Good God, I'm Frasier Crane!  :shock:

What about Niles? :D but then, both don't do TKD, so you are safe. 

• 3 weeks later...

There's trouble a-brewin' in the Ukraine, as you probably have heard. I read a little gem just now (no link, because of Swedish) that said that Vesti, a Russian TV program about quite contemporary things, accuse our foreign minister of fomenting unrest as revenge for the loss of the Battle of Poltava in 1709.

I just can't stop snickering.

... That seems to be reaching a bit far back, but as an American I have an attenuated sense of history, I am told.

Poltava was Charles' fault, not the Russians'. Throughout the entire campaign the latter were the picture of a minimally competent army, led by a czar who would probably have benefited greatly from therapy if not psychotropic drugs. The only way Charles could have lost would have been to get overconfident and march his army way far away from any logistical or military support, delegate command to obviously incompetent subordinates, and launch a frontal assault against fortified lines at three to one odds. So that's what he did.