Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

• 1 month later...

Within the space of a week two ex-Chancellors of the Exchequer have died, Dennis Healey and Geoffrey Howe. These things come in threes so Norman Lamont, Nigel Lawson, John Major, Kenneth Clarke, Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling and George Osborne must be worried as these things tend to come along in threes.......

Pick your favorite and make it happen!

• 4 weeks later...

Right pay attention !

I am going to be offline for a few days. I have noted in the past a tendency for the posters to get rather silly while I am away. It has to stop. So while I am away no funny business.

Right get on with it.

While you're away?  Seems like there's a lot of silliness here normally.

He knows well that of which he spake.

Not that we'll heed him, or anything.

Right pay attention !

I am going to be offline for a few days. I have noted in the past a tendency for the posters to get rather silly while I am away. It has to stop. So while I am away no funny business.

Right get on with it.

Probably the silliest thing we could do is ... do as he says.

:rofl:

Though it seems odd that DT vanishes on November 4. Got some explosives to haul before tomorrow night? Or a few masks to distribute?

Apparently the Steve Jobs movie is a flop.

Despite all the praise it is getting from Hollywood critics and the like. It's weird, how offended some in the Hollywood set seem to be that folks aren't rushing to see it.

I suppose to the tech gurus out there, he's either a patron saint or the second coming of Edison (As in ripped off folks and knew how to market), but to most folks, he made a big splash, made his millions, and died. Movies about Silicon Valley and so on have been done, so this movie really just sounded...

dull.

Add to this that you couldn't escape the marketing if you watched TV at all. It was so darn pervasive that I know I felt something of a growing contrariness about it. The more times they showed those commercials on TV, Hulu, Youtube etc, the more and more I wished the movie would just go away. Maybe I wasn't alone in having a kind of hype resentment.

Is it a good movie? Very likely. Does that in any way engender an obligation on the average movie goer to see something that doesn't interest them in the slightest? No.

But Hollywood (At least many in it) seems to have a hard time realizing that. They bitch and whine about superhero movies and/or action films getting all the love (And they take that money as they whine all the way to the bank). Look, people can love dramas and agree with the critics. To this day, the I am very glad I saw the King's Speech. But sometimes I think Hollywood's movie people aren't just disconnected from the populace, they're actively disdainful of that public unless the public claps and cheers to their every offering they claim is worthy.

Why am I posting about this? I'm not sure. Maybe I'm ironically emulating Hollywood by expecting folks to gasp in wonder at the "pearls of enlightenment" I drop here ;) Maybe I'm imagining that disdain and am totally wrong and would like someone to tell me "Dude, it ain't so." Maybe I'm bored.

Eh. Still rather be posting than watch a Steve Jobs movie. :D

Having lived in an intensely pietistic and cultish environment for almost two decades I know heirography when I see it.

This movie was a Silicon Valley heirogrophy. The biography of an industry Saint.

Of course, biographies of saints are, more often than not, white wash jobs.

Call me a non-believer, but nobody buys into the idea that Steve is deserving of beatification and canonization.

This is, mostly, the tech and tinsel set not recognizing that most of us don't live in their bubble.

Steve's not the Messiah. He won't be back. If you believe in that sort of thing at all, of course.

Having lived in an intensely pietistic and cultish environment for almost two decades I know heirography when I see it.

This movie was a Silicon Valley heirogrophy. The biography of an industry Saint.

Of course, biographies of saints are, more often than not, white wash jobs.

Call me a non-believer, but nobody buys into the idea that Steve is deserving of beatification and canonization.

This is, mostly, the tech and tinsel set not recognizing that most of us don't live in their bubble.

Steve's not the Messiah. He won't be back. If you believe in that sort of thing at all, of course.

Well, if they wanted religion, we have a wide selection in the aisles to choose from ;)

Television I've had enough of:

• Star Trek
  • X-Files
  • Anything Law & Order
  • Anything CSI
  • Anything NCIS
  • In fact, just about any ensemble cop, doctor, foreman, or lawyer show.

Ugh. I've had my fill of reboots, retreads, spinoffs and shows that don't know when to die.

And, for the record, Dr. Who. A single episode of that proved more than enough.

While I love Star Trek and could easily go another two series (3 if they're good, 1 if they're bad) I certainly can relate to the general feel.

Frankly, Police Procedurals, as a rule, bore me to ####ing death now. There are exceptions, but they're character driven, and I am not willing to get overly invested in new ones. 

Did you ever:

A. Suddenly remember different things you haven't thought about in years, perhaps decades, or

B. Meet all your friends & family (alternatively people you haven't seen in years) unexpectedly

then wonder if all this is a sign that you're going to pass away soon?

A happens every so often. B hasn't, except at a wedding in my wife's family. But, no, I am not yet seeing things as foreshadowing of my own death. Though that is a card I play when lecturing, actually; assuming I check out at age 75 (and both father and paternal grandfather did, within a few months either side of that), I will say that don't expect to live to see some event happen (humans landing on Mars, most often). For some reason this profoundly upsets some students.

Probably the silliest thing we could do is ... do as he says.

:rofl:

Though it seems odd that DT vanishes on November 4. Got some explosives to haul before tomorrow night? Or a few masks to distribute?

And we get silly things.

I mean to say George Lucas punching you in the gut ? I could excuse defecating from a great height.

I have noted some blasphemy regarding the work of the Divine Gillian and will take appropriate action.

I see that Anderson chick's false prophet is still on his soap-box on the street corner with a sharpied cardboard sign in hand.

Her divinity is not falsifiable and therefore cannot be objectively proven to the satisfaction of rational minds.

Its a diabolical imp of subjective perversity that has infected your mind and drives your devotion the the red-headed Jezebel.

Take your foul succubus and be gone!!

I see that Anderson chick's false prophet is still on his soap-box on the street corner with a sharpied cardboard sign in hand.

Her divinity is not falsifiable and therefore cannot be objectively proven to the satisfaction of rational minds.

Its a diabolical imp of subjective perversity that has infected your mind and drives your devotion the the red-headed Jezebel.

Take your foul succubus and be gone!!

Look. That is Hermit's gig.

Come off the fence and tell me what you really think.

Yes, but who are you?!

Who are you? Who, who, who, who?

I woke up in a Soho doorway

A policeman knew my name

He said, "You can go sleep at home tonight

If you can get up and walk away"

I staggered back to the underground

And the breeze blew back my hair

I remember throwin' punches around

And preachin' from my chair

Well, who are you?

(Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)

I really wanna know

Tell me, who are you?

'Cause I really wanna know

I took the tube back out of town

Back to the rollin' pin

I felt a little like a dying clown

With a streak of Rin Tin Tin

I stretched back and I hiccupped

And looked back on my busy day

Eleven hours in the tin pan

God, there's got to be another way

Well, who are you?

Who are you?

Come on Tell me, who are you?

Who the **** are you?

Who are you?

Ooh wa ooh wa ooh wa

Ooh wa ooh wa ooh wa

Ooh wa ooh wa ooh wa

I really wanna know

I really wanna know

Come on tell me, who are you?

'Cause I really wanna know

I know there's a place you walked

Where love falls from the trees

My heart is like a broken cup

I only feel right on my knees

I spit out like a sewer hole

Yet still receive your kiss

How can I measure up to anyone now

After such a love as this?

Who are you?

I really wanna know

Tell me, tell me who are you?

Come on come on who?

Who are you?

Who are you?

(Who are you?)

I really wanna know

I really wanna know

Come on tell me, who are you, you, you, you?

Who are you?