Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

• 2 weeks later...

I made a conscious decision to stop reading newspaper funnies a couple of years ago. I don't miss them. I do miss not missing them. There are still a handful of decent strips out there, but not enough to justify having garbage delivered to my house every day.

Don't get me started on the "news" in the newspaper.

What's with the news?

I got tired of opening the newspaper to read all the stories I'd read on the internet the day before.  And local coverage is awful.  I don't blame the journalists--I get that there's no money in news anymore, especially local news.  But I have to contribute to the death spiral by not having garbage delivered to my house any more.

I've tried to come up with a solution to the journalism death spiral, but so far I've failed, and I get the sense that I'm not the only one.

I gave up on the local paper when the Post-Intelligencer closed shop, leaving us with only one newspaper. The Seattle Times had been wannabee hereditary monopolists for so long that's all they could think of. Here, in one of the most liberal cities in on the Left Coast, they endorsed Dubya back in 2000 because he was the choice of hereditary monopolists. And they've complained that the population still holds that against them. Gosh! Your potential readership has a brain, and doesn't like it when you advocate things that are counter to their interests!

If they had real local news, and business stories about businesses that open (and close) locally, or anything that isn't a scandal, I would reconsider my blowing them off. But, it's what Old Man said....

I stopped reading out local paper years ago, because in large part it is part of Murdoch's News Corp. And like Old Man the funnies just wasn't worth getting it to read. I also only was interested in the weekly tv guide, but now I can get that with an app on my phone.

I gave up on the local paper when the Post-Intelligencer closed shop, leaving us with only one newspaper. The Seattle Times had been wannabee hereditary monopolists for so long that's all they could think of. Here, in one of the most liberal cities in on the Left Coast, they endorsed Dubya back in 2000 because he was the choice of hereditary monopolists. And they've complained that the population still holds that against them. Gosh! Your potential readership has a brain, and doesn't like it when you advocate things that are counter to their interests!

If they had real local news, and business stories about businesses that open (and close) locally, or anything that isn't a scandal, I would reconsider my blowing them off. But, it's what Old Man said....

The Seattle Times has always been a rag.

Well, I liked it back in the mid-1970s when I was in town as an undergrad, but that was two generations of Blethen's (the publishers) ... and forty years ... back.

Of course, at that time I was in my late teens, and I had moved in from the Spokane area, and Spokane at the time had two papers, but of them barking mad right-fringe nut farms, and just about anything would have looked good by comparison.

You're a monster.

I am.  But I didn't realize at the time that scanning barcodes in Borders and then buying the books for way cheaper off Amazon would really put an end to Borders.  Of course, we're talking about a store that devoted 30% of its floor space to compact discs.  But I digress.