Kara Zor-El

Musings on Random Musings

Yup, the 1980 explosion.

My folks lived 60 miles as the crow ash flew, downwind from the mountain.  They had interesting stories.  And it took five days for me to reach them by telephone after the blast (I was off in Texas at the time).

The ash, btw, was several inches thick where they were, and a medium gray color.  In terms of getting around, it was kind of like snow, except that it didn't melt and it wouldn't float in water, and there was finer dust (not so much of that where they were) which could be very irritating in the throat and lungs.  The particles at their place were generally bigger than beach sand grains, but smaller than common clay kitty litter grains.  (Further away from the volcano the particles were much finer.)  You had to sweep it off roads and streets, and anywhere else where you didn't want it.  My folks mailed me a parcel with a few kilos of it: an expensive and inefficient way of disposal.  I didn't have much I could do with it, so I parceled it up into three or four dozen little golf ball sized packets, the ash wrapped up in plastic wrap, and gave it all away.  Considering how big a nuisance it was back home, people were strangely grateful to receive those packets.

I collected the X-Men from the start of the revamped team i.e. Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Colossus etc. I thus became familiar with their villains and the stories but X-Force brought in Apocalypse and the stories and the original picture in the comics were meh. Then there was Amahl Farouk who was another telepath and quasi mind-controller. I was never convinced by him. He seemed such Z grade material. Particularly as Professor X killed him in mental Combat. Unlike for example Mr Sinister, the Marauders, the Brood, the Sentinel Nimrod  and the Hellfire Club. The X-Men then introduced this powerful telepath called the Shadow King. He's awesome ! He's terrifying ! He's..... Amahl Farouk ? Oh Forget it.

Apocalypse was really given new purpose in the X-Men film. But from the comics ? Meh. Similarly Cameron Hodge in the New Mutants was meh. And they also made him quasi immortal. Which was a mistake.

I guess the biggest problem I have with the X-villains is they have no personality.  They're all Doom-lites, except for the Brood which is just bugs. 

The second biggest problem is that they tend to be poorly defined powerswise, usually as some vague Brick/EP variant.  That way even the combat is boring.