Favorite Pulp Character

Metaphysician

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Favorite Pulp Character

The Avenger and The Rocketeer.

The Avenger had the ability to mold the features of his paralyzed face. Combined with make-up, elevator heels, and inflatable pouches in his clothing to simulate girth or muscles, this would either be Disguise or Shapeshift. Not sure how I'd but it.

As for the Rocketeer's rocketpack, there's a write-up for a jetpack in the margin of page 115 of the Big Black Book. I might increase the speed a tiny bit, as well as ad some sort of disadvantage to simulate that the rocketpack was either on or off, with no speed in between. And I might require some sort of Dex or Acrobatics roll to land succesfully without hurting oneself; in the comic he had a lot of rough landings.

Doc Savage and Tarzan are my two big favorites. I'm also very fond of Richard Henry Benson' date=' aka the Avenger, and John Carter of Mars (who I classify more as pulp than SF/fantasy).[/quote']

John Carter "The Martian Manhunter" is a main character in the Doc Caliban campaign I'm running now. :) Great books, and certainly Pulp-Sci-Fi. There was a great deal of overlap there.

Another vote for The Shadow. Especially the Orson Wells version. They did more mystical/paranormal type stories with Wells, and Margo Lane (Anges Moorhead) was actually useful. She would tap phone lines and help Lamont solve cases. By the 1940s, she screamed alot and was the subject of many "women driver" jokes.

BTW - how do I get a job like "wealthy young man about town"?

I'm fond of the genre, but I don't have any favorite character (I don't think Sherlock Holmes count?). Really, I usually like Philip José Farmer's reinventing of the characters more than the originals.

I guess Farmer is for the pulps what the Ultimate Universe if for the regular Marvel Universe...

I'd have to go with Tarzan and the Shadow. There are write ups for them on the web, and some people have elaborated on their abitlites in the past, so I don't think too much has to be said. High end stats for the Lord of the Jungle- with a few superskills- and either a mental power framework (radio) or a large crimefighting skillset (magazines) for the Shadow. Followers for both.

In the "pulpish" vein, I've always liked The Phantom. He's practically a fusion of Tarzan and the Shadow, so you could base a simple write up on those two.

I'm kinda partial to Conan the Barbarian' date=' but if you are talking about any pulp-style hero, [i']Indiana Jones[/i] bumps Conan out of the number one spot. :D

Mags

If Indiana Jones is there then Brandan Frasers character from the Mummy movies must be close behind. I thought they were pretty decent modern pulp movies.

Shem

G-8, first, last, and always.

And his villains were out of this world -- Herr Doctor Krueger, maddest of mad scientists; Stahlmaske, forerunner of villains ranging from Darth Vader to Doctor Destroyer; Herr Grun, the American ape-man; The Vampire Hag, the Sky Wolves, and multitudes more.

Anyone else here have G-8 in the background of their game universe?