Favorite Pulp Character

Metaphysician

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Favorite Pulp Character

G-8, first, last, and always.

And his villains were out of this world -- Herr Doctor Krueger, maddest of mad scientists; Stahlmaske, forerunner of villains ranging from Darth Vader to Doctor Destroyer; Herr Grun, the American ape-man; The Vampire Hag, the Sky Wolves, and multitudes more.

Anyone else here have G-8 in the background of their game universe?

My long running non-supers PC was loosely modelled on him. Background indeed!

My long running non-supers PC was loosely modelled on him. Background indeed!

Myself, I always wanted to have my fellow superheroes & myself run into one of those super-tanks Stahlmaske was making; maybe I'll have his grandkid show up as a VIPER leader and bring one of the old tanks out of mothballs.

And when I remember all the beast-men G-8 and his flying Rover Boys ran into, I wonder if Phillipe Moreau's father was working for the Kaiser in WW1.

Myself, I always wanted to have my fellow superheroes & myself run into one of those super-tanks Stahlmaske was making; maybe I'll have his grandkid show up as a VIPER leader and bring one of the old tanks out of mothballs.

And when I remember all the beast-men G-8 and his flying Rover Boys ran into, I wonder if Phillipe Moreau's father was working for the Kaiser in WW1.

Kind of, yes: http://www.pjfarmer.com/secret/Immortal/moreau.htm

;)

You are like the third person on and off the boards who has mentioned that. I never read any of the Lensmen series. It appears I had better dig up some oldies. :)

They're well worth it, especially if you're any kind of Green Lantern, Star Trek, or Star Wars fan. :)

I sat there the first time I read the books going "Wow, that is so trite." Then I checked the dates and realized that this is where all of those "trite" galactic SF ideas came from in the first place. :)

They're well worth it, especially if you're any kind of Green Lantern, Star Trek, or Star Wars fan. :)

I sit there the first time I read the books going "Wow, that is so trite." Then I checked the dates and realized that this is where all of those "trite" galactic SF ideas came from in the first place. :)

Wow. As I am a fan of all of the above, I am sold. Thanks, guys. :thumbup:

I enjoyed Howard Chaykin's take on the Shadow' date=' back in the 80's. ;)[/quote']

I'd also say the Shadow, and I will go on record right now saying I LIKED Alec Baldwin in the 1993 (right year?) movie as well as the comics and the radio serial. So there. :D

Cheers,

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Wow. As I am a fan of all of the above' date=' I am sold. Thanks, guys. :thumbup:[/quote']

Suggestion: While the listings and such say that Triplanetary is the first book, its actually a prequel.

Read them in this order, instead: Galactic Patrol, Gray Lensman, Second Stage Lensman, Children of the Lens.

I like my Pulp heroes a bit closer to real life - thus Professor Challenger over Doc Savage, Biggles over G-8, etc. I actually find heroes with a 15- in EVERY skill a bit tedious.

But one name that I don't see much is RE Howard's Kirby O'Donnell. He only appeared in three stories (collected as Swords of Sharazar (sp?) and recently reissued). I really liked those stories and since almost no-one I know is familiar with them, used them as the basis of several adventures that gave me a couple of months of enjoyable gaming in my FH game.

cheers, Mark

But one name that I don't see much is RE Howard's Kirby O'Donnell. He only appeared in three stories (collected as Swords of Sharazar (sp?) and recently reissued). I really liked those stories and since almost no-one I know is familiar with them, used them as the basis of several adventures that gave me a couple of months of enjoyable gaming in my FH game.

cheers, Mark

Swords of Shahrazar was reissued? When and where, and by who?

By Ace - the reissue included some other stories IIRC. As to when.... not recently, I'm afraid - I think about 10 years ago. (can't have been much more than that because it has a Kelly cover). It's still easier to find than the older Orbit version (the one I have) which was released in the mid 70's with a rather inappropriate Achilleos cover :).

cheers, Mark

The recently put out a collection of Soloman Kane by Howard as well. I picked up the collection, but haven't had a chance to read it.

Favorite character; I enjoy Conan, but I have really been getting into the detective stories of the era. So I would go with Hammett's Continental Op or Philip Marlowe. Marlowe shows you don't needs tons of CSLs, you just need to be the toughest SoB on the block.

Favorite pulp character ? Hmm "Doc Savage", "The Shadow"(Although I have read very few of his adventures), "Professor Challenger", "Sherlock Holmes". The ones that I would like to read (but can't get hold of at the moment) are "The Avenger"and "G8". Oh yes and Ãndiana Jones"while i'm thinking about it !

• 2 months later...

Doc Savage was neat, but way back when my Great Grandfather got me these audio tapes of the radio classics. There was like 15 or 20 tapes and it was chock full of Abbott & Costello, The Shadow, Burns & Allen, RKO Radio Hour etc. I spent SO many nights listening to the 'radio.'

To this day, The Shadow has a special place in my heart.

"Who knows what lurks in the hearts of men?"

A good cardiologist, of course. :)