Urban gang warfare

teh bunneh

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Urban gang warfare

Mostly real simple....drive around and if you see a rival gang you shoot 'em...add in some set up using gang affilaited chicks and you got most of it...for a game I suggest "big show downs" so lots of bullets can fly and the heros can have time to show up.....

Don't forget turf, reputation, perceived slights and poor impulse control.

Don't know of any links off hand but you could probably start by searching the Department of Justice website.

http://www.usdoj.gov/

Also here is the site for the California Youth Authorty it has some links to gang related sites.

http://www.cya.ca.gov/juvenile/gangviolence.html

It depends from gang to gang. Bikers or gangstas usually just go trolling for whoever they can find and then proceed to waste them.

Your more sophisticated outfits like the varied Asian gangs or tongs tend to try for a 'set 'em all up and take 'em all down at once'. Usually in a restaraunt (note: avoid Chinese eateries when tong wars are going down).

And while I doubt you mean the Russian Mafiya by 'urban gang warfare', they usually just kill everyone in the room to make sure they got their guy. If that means shooting 50 people, then so be it.

Posting this for a friend:

-----

Does anyone know anything about the methodologies of urban gang

warfare? Or have a link handy they could send me?

Bill.

This is more generic, but useful.

Chicago Crime Commission's "Street Gangs: Public Enemy Number One". The links don't work, it's all on that page. Its' from 1995. This is missing the pages of gang data, like the dozens of street gangs in Chicago and their symbols. I think I have that somewhere. The 20,000 members of the Black Gangster Disciples Nation make an "interesting" problem for a game.

http://www.velocity.net/~acekc/CCC%20Gang%20Book%20-%20Main%20Text.htm You might be able to get the actual report from the CCC, it was online once.

This is more generic, but useful.

Chicago Crime Commission's "Street Gangs: Public Enemy Number One". The links don't work, it's all on that page. Its' from 1995. This is missing the pages of gang data, like the dozens of street gangs in Chicago and their symbols. I think I have that somewhere. The 20,000 members of the Black Gangster Disciples Nation make an "interesting" problem for a game.

http://www.velocity.net/~acekc/CCC%20Gang%20Book%20-%20Main%20Text.htm You might be able to get the actual report from the CCC, it was online once.

This is quite interesting, thanks!

Whoops, out of rep right now but will rep you later.

This is quite interesting, thanks!

Whoops, out of rep right now but will rep you later.

Don't worry, I got the "rep" for him on that one.

Interesting read... though somewhat hyperbolic. I'm sure the threat is real, but the report reads like a fire & brimstone sermon in some ways.

Interesting to note that they put the number of active gang members at 50K in the Chicago area. My question is, how affiliated are they? Is a bunch of crews of 20 loosely affiliated... or are there large gangs of hundreds in one tight organization? (I didn't finish the whole article... I'll go back to it.)

What is scary, is that if you tried to play a super vigilante/crime fighter game hard core... then what would happen is any straight up fight the hero would likely win... but the gangs would take it out on neighborhoods, civilians, any body they could actually touch. It would likely escalate to something more along the lines of urban terrorism. Could be an intense game... but not everyone's cuppa.

Don't worry, I got the "rep" for him on that one.

Interesting read... though somewhat hyperbolic. I'm sure the threat is real, but the report reads like a fire & brimstone sermon in some ways.

Interesting to note that they put the number of active gang members at 50K in the Chicago area. My question is, how affiliated are they? Is a bunch of crews of 20 loosely affiliated... or are there large gangs of hundreds in one tight organization? (I didn't finish the whole article... I'll go back to it.)

What is scary, is that if you tried to play a super vigilante/crime fighter game hard core... then what would happen is any straight up fight the hero would likely win... but the gangs would take it out on neighborhoods, civilians, any body they could actually touch. It would likely escalate to something more along the lines of urban terrorism. Could be an intense game... but not everyone's cuppa.

Ah, now you're getting all serious - I just liked it as RPG data, in which case hyperbolic is perfect (well, not for your more realistic campaigns, I suppose).

• 1 month later...

This is acutally a very common plotline in just about any action story involving organized crime. The hero can stand up to any gangsters thrown at him, but if the bosses find out who he really is then watch out! Anyone close to him, from family to co-workers, is likely to be targeted, and only the hero will know why.

Also organized crime of any sort is a very difficult nut to crack simply because it's organzied in such a way that a.) nobody is indispenable and b.) everybody is replacable. It's a lot easier to stop the Joker than it is to make a dent in Roderick thorne's criminal empire -- Thorne is the one villain in the Animated Series that Batman could never take down. In fact, he never even came close!

• 1 month later...

While it does not give details on the methodologies of gang warfare' date=' it is an interesting look into the lifestyle as told by one who has lived it;

That book was on the NYT Best Seller list for quite a while back in 1993 or so. It's a good read, even if you are not necessarily into the whole gang thing. It will really open your eyes.