Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Captain Obvious

Re: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Blackjack, Mentor and I went to see it yesterday along with Mentor's 3 kids (Two of whom play in our campaign as Thunderbird and Vesuvius). We all really enjoyed the flick. I thought it was a really well done "serial pulp" fiction movie; almost a filmed version of an old radio serial. I recognize that pulp fiction isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you like The Shadow, The Avenger, Flash Gordon and Doc Savage stories then this flick is right on the money. It wasn't perfect, but overall it's the best pulp fiction movie I've seen since Buckaroo Bonzai.

I'll be buying this one on DVD. My vote: :thumbup:

Blackjack, Mentor and I went to see it yesterday along with Mentor's 3 kids (Two of whom play in our campaign as Thunderbird and Vesuvius). We all really enjoyed the flick. I thought it was a really well done "serial pulp" fiction movie; almost a filmed version of an old radio serial. I recognize that pulp fiction isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you like The Shadow, The Avenger, Flash Gordon and Doc Savage stories then this flick is right on the money. It wasn't perfect, but overall it's the best pulp fiction movie I've seen since Buckaroo Bonzai.

I'll be buying this one on DVD. My vote: :thumbup:

Agree with above, will want on DVD. Everyone who likes pulp or needs an intro into what pulp is should see it!

My only gripe is Gwyneth Paltrow, who played Polly Perkins. Her acting was poor for the role, another actress (I do not know who I would have cast) might have done a better job.

Agree with above, will want on DVD. Everyone who likes pulp or needs an intro into what pulp is should see it!

My only gripe is Gwyneth Paltrow, who played Polly Perkins. Her acting was poor for the role, another actress (I do not know who I would have cast) might have done a better job.

I don't know. I thought she was doing a pretty good Veronica Lake imitation. It might have been interesting with Kate Winslet or, for pure looks, Liv Tyler, but I think they wanted blonde.

I would have gone with someone else for Joe/Sky Captain. I was thinking Brendan Fraser, but he already had his pulp role in The Mummy.

I don;t know if this movie is goign to make back its costs. There was about a 70% dropoff between its first weekend and its second, critical reaction was mixed to poor ("like watching a video game for two hours and not getting to play") and "Artificial movies" have never had box-office success (TRON may be a cult classic, but when it was first released nobody saw it.)

I think you'll get your chance to own the DVD a lot sooner than you thought you would.

Hmmm...Sky Captain isn't doing too well. Thus far its only garnered around 25 million at the box office. (Only 25 mil? How jaded is the movie industry when 25 mil is considered peanuts? I remember when 20+ million was considered fantastic) Its still got time to perform, but I don't expect it to break much more than 30-35 million in theatres (but there's always DVD and the foreign market. It'll probably kill in Japan.)

However, Hero is doing pretty well at nearly 50 million. Not CTHD money, but still damn good for a foreign language film. Probably #2 after CTHD, which bodes well for other high-budgeted Chinese martial arts films threatrical releases stateside in the future.

Hmmm...Sky Captain isn't doing too well. Thus far its only garnered around 25 million at the box office. (Only 25 mil? How jaded is the movie industry when 25 mil is considered peanuts? I remember when 20+ million was considered fantastic) Its still got time to perform, but I don't expect it to break much more than 30-35 million in theatres (but there's always DVD and the foreign market. It'll probably kill in Japan.)

However, Hero is doing pretty well at nearly 50 million. Not CTHD money, but still damn good for a foreign language film. Probably #2 after CTHD, which bodes well for other high-budgeted Chinese martial arts films threatrical releases stateside in the future.

Violence is a universal language, after all. :) In the end HERO will probably make around 80mil of so with DVD sales and second run screenings. I wonder if it will be like CTHD, a film I universally find in almost everyone's DVD collections when I visit other people's homes.

As for Sky Captain, there's nothing wrong with the way it was presented, it was the bad writing and acting that killed it. The cool visuals could only take it so far, and the rest just didn't measure up.

Rob

Sky Captain's still being advertised as the #1 movie in America, so it must not be doing too bad.

I know I'll be buying the DVD. Hopefully enough interest has been shown in this movie to encourage other filmmakers to try out the pulp sci-fi genre. A new Flash Gordon would be awesome.

Well, a thing to remember is that the budget for Sky Captain was reportedly lower due to not having any actual sets, so it's profit margin could still be adequate even if it's not a huge block buster.

It's also a late summer release, which is a traditionally sluggish box office market, particularly for a non-franchise movie, and paticularly for such an innovative movie.

As for Sky Captain, there's nothing wrong with the way it was presented, it was the bad writing and acting that killed it. The cool visuals could only take it so far, and the rest just didn't measure up.

Yes, thank you. No one I know seems to share my opinion on this except for you, UltraRob. Visually, I was blown away, but I thought the story was very poorly told. Just a lot of sloppy, lazy writing.

Sky Captain: Dex! How'd you get free?

Dex: I escaped somehow. Let's go!

Grr. A friend of mine defends it on these very grounds-- that is, in his opinion, it's perfect because it's not well done. The serials from which it takes its inspiration weren't very well written, he argues, so this shouldn't be either, and I can't seem to persuade him that maybe every movie should be well-written.

I don't know what I think of that guy anymore.

Yes, thank you. No one I know seems to share my opinion on this except for you, UltraRob. Visually, I was blown away, but I thought the story was very poorly told. Just a lot of sloppy, lazy writing.

Sky Captain: Dex! How'd you get free?

Dex: I escaped somehow. Let's go!

Grr. A friend of mine defends it on these very grounds-- that is, in his opinion, it's perfect because it's not well done. The serials from which it takes its inspiration weren't very well written, he argues, so this shouldn't be either, and I can't seem to persuade him that maybe every movie should be well-written.

I don't know what I think of that guy anymore.

I had to keep reminding myself through the whole movie that it was supposed to be written to mirror the pulp serial style. Which was bad most of the time. Seeing all the George Lucas references helped remind me of that. :snicker:

I had to keep reminding myself through the whole movie that it was supposed to be written to mirror the pulp serial style. Which was bad most of the time. Seeing all the George Lucas references helped remind me of that. :snicker:

Why deliberately film a bad script? I know Hollywood does this all the time, but I just can;t comprehend it. Some of the movies that get made today boggle the mind in their sheer ineptitude, especially when compared to the brilliant efforts that sit in the slush piles.

Geroeg Lucas hired some of the worst screenwriters in history. Remember Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? Utterly wretched script. Made a mockery of a great cinematic icon. Yet it did so well at the box office that Lucas commissioned another film from those very writers. the title of their magnum opus? Howard the Duck, the biggest megabomb of its decade.

While, alos in the '80s, two utterly brilliant films, Empire of the Sun and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen , lost nearly $100 million at the box office between them.

In the old days if you didn't deliver they ran you out of town. Now, the director of Sky Captain will probably be back -- and I feel sorry for his next studio.

While' date=' alos in the '80s, two utterly brilliant films, [i']Empire of the Sun[/i] and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen , lost nearly $100 million at the box office between them.

In the old days if you didn't deliver they ran you out of town. Now, the director of Sky Captain will probably be back -- and I feel sorry for his next studio.

I think that has more to do with what the general public are willing to pay to see. Hollywood gives us what they think we want. They decide what we want based solely on the box office. You're right Empire of the Sun and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen are great movies, but not a lot of people went to see them.

Sky Captain was a mediocre movie, but it was also better than a lot of things that have been released this summer. I want you to think about Alien vs. Predator before you really call this movie a complete disaster. How about that latest zombie movie based on the video game.

Overall I gave this movie a C+. I liked the imagination that went into the blending of old references.

Overall I gave this movie a C+. I liked the imagination that went into the blending of old references.

I never see anything in the theatres that gets a grade lower than B. I figure it it's not that good but has some interesting ideas I can wait to rent the DVD.

In the old days if you didn't deliver they ran you out of town. Now' date=' the director of [i']Sky Captain[/i] will probably be back -- and I feel sorry for his next studio.

Kerry Conran, the creator / director behind Sky Captain will indeed be returning - he's signed on as the main man for the movie version of 'Princess of Mars' by ER Burroughs.

Kerry Conran' date=' the creator / director behind Sky Captain will indeed be returning - he's signed on as the main man for the movie version of 'Princess of Mars' by ER Burroughs.[/quote']

Conran will be directing, Ehren Kruger will be writing the script. Kruger's previous listed work is 'The Ring 2' which I haven't heard anything about. So can't make any predictions about the writing yet.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-10/12/10.00.film

Read an interview with Jude Law in one of the UK papers at the weekend. He was talking about making a sequel. Apparently, and I am quoting from memory here so the numbers are not exact, the film cost about 40 million dollars to make and has pretty much made that back already so the producers are keen.

Read an interview with Jude Law in one of the UK papers at the weekend. He was talking about making a sequel. Apparently' date=' and I am quoting from memory here so the numbers are not exact, the film cost about 40 million dollars to make and has pretty much made that back already so the producers are keen.[/quote']

Maybe this is the world of tomorrow for science-fiction filmmaking. If something with that amnye ffects costs so little to make, can you imagine coupling that with a vital, imaginative screenplay?

My understanding is that the film is also developing a sort of "cult" following, which would also fuel demand for a new adventure for Sky Captain.

And no, I still haven't seen it.