Vanguard (the one from the books)

Vanguard00

Heya, folks. As you probably know, the hero Vanguard died saving Millennium City from Dr. Destroyer's asteroid attack. He was an iconic figure from the 70s, 80s and 90s. I know he's vaguely "Superman-ish", but that's about it.

I've spoken with a DoJ contact, and while it's thought that Darren might have more info on him, he's in San Francisco and the other folks at DoJ don't have much information at hand.

Does anyone here have either, a) More official information, or B) Their own version? I'd do a search but I keep pulling up mine and the other Vanguard's posts...

Any help y'all can provide would be appreciated.

Re: Vanguard (the one from the books)

Vanguard will get his origin story in Silver Age Champs (and a writeup there of his early stats) and probably will get more story in the proposed Champs Universe update. Basically, he's Jeffrey Sinclair, a mightily-powerful flying brick type given his powers by an "alien artifact" in 1959. He teams up with several semi-retired Golden Age heroes in New York later that year and re-forms the Justice Squadron (which had been the #2 hero team of WWII after the Defenders of Justice), with that original group remaining the core of the team for decades (as opposed to the Sentinels, who have a lot of membership turnover. In many ways, the Justice Squadron is seen as "Vanguard and his buddies," which is probably unfair, though he clearly was the heart and soul of that team for more than thirty years.)

One of Earth's most famous and respected supers, he sacrificed his life in the orbital portion of the Battle of Detroit in 1992. That's all we've established about him so far. dw