WWYCD #124 or so:Peace on Earth

nexus

Inspired by the Neutral Ground thread.

A being of vast cosmic power visits Earth (as they tend to do) and decides to mandate a "Day of Peace" for a single 24 hour period no one can commit violence on another. Defensive powers, gadgets etc still work, but offensive powers do not, nor does raw physical mayhem work.

In addition, supers since they are centers of conflict are forced to spend that period in the company of their worst enemy to see if they could foster an underestanding. Or at least gain more of perspective on why they fight.

How would that day for your character? Who would they be stuck with and what would they say if anything?

Re: WWYCD #124 or so:Peace on Earth

Interesting...

It occurs to me that many of my characters don't have an 'arch nemesis' , still, I'll get as close as I can.

Apex- It depends, if Apex realized his daughter was safe (And he'd do nothing to tip the villains off to the fact he had daughter) He'd relax a lot. He might then procede to lecture Granite (or which ever villain he was stuck with) into submission!

"You've got so many gifts, so much potential. How can you squander it like this?"

Might actually be fun in a cruel way.

Recluse- Shrink and/or hide and avoid the guy who Grandmother spider cursed. No conversation.

Wildcard- "I am so going to hurt you when this wears off... in the mean time, 5 card stud, jokers are wild. MM? Oh don't worry about it. They aren't loaded. Not THIS set anyways... trust me."

Starguard's worst enemy is apparently Luther Black(*), so I don't think it'd be a very productive day, given that his mere presence would trigger her Susceptibility(**) and leave her curled up on the floor in the fetal position after a couple minutes.

(*) Yes, I did create the character months before DEMON came out -- but she had a Mystery Hunted tied to her origin. After reading the DEMON sourcebook, the odds are quite high that Black will be that Mystery Hunted, as he fits the circumstances so much better than anything I was thinking of.

(**) One of the downsides of having Cosmic Awareness is that there's some things you really don't /want/ to look at, and if you're too inexperienced to know how to 'shut your eyes', just being near will cause you pain.

Luther Black's soul is one of those things.

Starguard's worst enemy is apparently Luther Black(*), so I don't think it'd be a very productive day, given that his mere presence would trigger her Susceptibility(**) and leave her curled up on the floor in the fetal position after a couple minutes.

(*) Yes, I did create the character months before DEMON came out -- but she had a Mystery Hunted tied to her origin. After reading the DEMON sourcebook, the odds are quite high that Black will be that Mystery Hunted, as he fits the circumstances so much better than anything I was thinking of.

(**) One of the downsides of having Cosmic Awareness is that there's some things you really don't /want/ to look at, and if you're too inexperienced to know how to 'shut your eyes', just being near will cause you pain.

Luther Black's soul is one of those things.

Damn, that's one evil bastard. What would happen if her Suceptibility was temporarily suspended in this case by the Entity of Great Power ? I'm really curious what she would have to say to this guy.

OK, given that she's a young girl trying to carry the mantle of a deceased archangel, and he's the most irredeemably evil and Qlippothic-tainted soul since the fall of Atlantis...

.. I think it'd be a very, very uncomfortable day.

Style - His worst enemy is in theory the Dragon, and in practice vast numbers of CU mystic villains. Spending a day with Dark Seraph would be less than productive. "So, how many people have you murdered this week" is not much of a conversation starter.

Flesh Gordon - Has no worst enemy as such, except possibly V'Han. He'll spend the day with a small mob of super-powered ex-girlfriends, who will in turn spend the day trading horror stories about him.

"...and then he told my mother, 'I thought it was attacking you'! I nearly died!"

"Oh, I know! Did I tell you about the time that I took him to the Viper Awards and he just started attacking people! He called us all 'Evil-doers' and kept shouting at everyone to mend thier ways, like he didn't even know I have to work with these guys!"

"Yes! Exactly! We were having a wonderful evening, dinner, dancing, and then he ..."

After the Omnipotent one leaves, the girls will form the "Flesh Gordon Revenge Squad."

Microman II would probably do a little experimenting to figure out the nature of the compulsion to not commit violence. Aside from that, well, its a new experience, so he wouldn't mind.

OTOH, he'd probably be forced to spend time with Mechanon, which is not going to be fun. Especially since odds are Mechanon wants to recruit him, rather than destroy him. . .

Southern Cross would most likely grab a few beers and him and Deathbolt(his hunted) would head for the nearest sporting event.

Why waste such a great day, in fact he'd probably suggest making an annual event of it.

Most likely the Cricketer would join them probably with The Lord of Time who would of course tell him that he knew about this having been observing this timeline for years.

White Tiger and Doberman would go to the zoo where they could spend most of the day arguing whether they should see the lions or the wolves next.

How would that day for your character? Who would they be stuck with and what would they say if anything?

Anthem's would actually be rather poignant. Her father is her defining enemy, a derranged individual who is currently interred at The Keep, super-prison. He's currently undergoing drug treatments that have made him coherent. He understands all that he did wrong to people and especially to his daughter and he's guilt riddled, so long as he's on the drugs, but she wants noting to do with him and refuses to visit him.

Their talk would primarily be a lot of silence with her staring at him, boring holes into him. Eventually he'd try to bridge the gap, tell her about how sorry he was and how he can't even comprehend where all that hatred comes from in him. Unable to avoid a discussion eventually she'd vent on him and he'd take it. She's been holding that in a long time.

She'd definitely cry at some point despite not wanting to in front of him. She'd feel better later that she got that all out though and might even come back to visit later when not forced to. (Kind of bubbly, she doesn't sit well with 'hatred' and this would be a good time to buy down that disad related to him a bit.)

But there's one dark secret between them that he's afraid to share. He knows where her best friend, Aces High, is buried, because he's the one who killed her.

Uncle Slam would likely be forced to communicate with The Axis, a loose alliance of former Nazi superpowered soldiers. It would be surprisingly amicable, as he has a CvK now (and didn't when they first began to tangle during the war), and they respect his power and abilities. They're responsible for once cloning a duplicate of him, which would undoubtedly come up. But mostly they'd just sit there and play chess, Slam and Iron Cross, mostly in silence.

Audra Blue's experience would NOT be pleasant. She'd be in obvious fear of her primary enemy. Also a member of The Axis, he's the Nazi doctor who implanted her with cybernetis as an experiment while hiding out in South America. She has horrible memories of that experience. He'd apply not too subtle psychological warfare on her. He'd tell her about things he was going to do to her when they meet again. There's no bridge-building in this encounter.

Mask of Justice: Would be trying to convince the Faceless One to either turn himself in or turn his mastery of disguise to the war effort against the Axis. Since the Faceless One really gets off on being a criminal mastermind, neither is likely. And the Mask is all too aware that the Faceless One commits crimes because he *likes* comitting crimes.

Calculus: Would be thrilled to discover who his archenemy is, finally. Would spend the day trying to gather clues so he can put an end to this annoyance.

Rock Bottom: Doesn't have an persoanl archenemy as such. And the Blood Red King isn't exactly the sort one builds bridges with (and is powerful enough to possibly violate the no violence rules.)

Kira Midori: Would end up with the Terminator-style robot who she followed from her future. It would be happy to explain its vision of plunging the human world into eternal war. Thus, it would never be put in mothballs again.

Talion: Takes one look across the room at She-Cat and sighs. She-Cat has no clue why she's here and babbles uselessly the entire time.

I can’t help imagining that Adonis’s day being anything other than depressing. The truth of the matter is that Adonis’s greatest enemy would be the leader of the IHA. Adonis has other hunteds, but none are more diametrically opposed to Adonis and Adonis’s beliefs than the IHA. The IHA has been trying to kill Adonis since the fact that he was found in the raid of Dr. Patton’s compound around 6 years ago. They waged a propaganda campaign to have the “dangerous experimental biological destroyed before it could mutate into a rampaging menace to Miami.â€

I see a meeting between Adonis and the leader of the IHA being anything other than being like one of the old NGD forums threads on Gay Marriage (not the current one, last time I checked it hadn’t reached that level of vitriol). There might be an attempt from either or both of them (depending on their moods) at reasoned polite debate, but I figure both of them are far too passionate about their causes to stay with mild words.

Edit - I was using the phrase "the truth is" way too much.

Lady Silver: this could be interesting. In her personal life, her granduncle is her worst enemy. She's a long lost member of the family who came to the world from a Shangri-la type place where white mages hid from the world. When she came back, she came into a small inheritance (including significant shares in the family drug company) that outraged her granduncle who is an imoral and power hungry businessman. It's gotten so bad that he's hired assassins though mysteriously (ie through her magic) she always survives. Of course there is no proof.

Lady Silver would try to build some bridges but her granduncle is just too evil and greedy of a man to see her as anything but a threat to his posistion.

On the other hand, she might have to endure sitting with Baron Bane (an undead lich) and Lord Malfice (Bane's apprentice and roughly Lady Silver's equal in power). The former is too shrouded in evil to ever change and likely would just alternate between crowing over his power and trying to seduce Silver to his side. Lord Malfice still has some of his humanity though and she might try to turn him from his path. At the same time, she'd need to be clear that she doesn't share Malfice's twisted sense of love (Malfice has a love/hate relationship with her).

Nova: she and Forceclaw would probably spend the first ten minutes trying to overcome the anti-violence edict since FC hates Nova for killing her husband while Nova hates pretty much any violent criminal who hurts innocents. the next stage would be lots of shouting and accusations but I think Nova would finally be silenced as she's accused over and over again of her past deed.

Put in context, ForceClaw and her husband FireWhip were mercenary villains who have participated in several cases of assault but not murder. FireWhip was killed by Nova in a fight in the space ark she crashed to earth in. She killed her more from anger than from the need to protect herself though. It would force Nova to see her nemesis, and other criminals, as something other than just combatants and targets upon which she can vent her own personal demons. It would be very growth inducing.

Celestial Knight: Steel Dragon is pretty much a cypher designed to kill CK. Any soul or independent thoughts he had were consumed long ago. He's just keep trying to evade the edict for the entire time. Star Thief would rally against CK for threatening his alien race by defending earth's space programs from him. It would be interesting to see if they could reach common ground in being defenders of their people but he may be too convinced of the threat that humanity poses to change his position. Even if her personally changed his mind, he still has his duty.

If it's later in her career and Dark Templar is there, he could teach her about the history of the Stellar Paladins though it might be a twisted version. Still he is a gentleman of sorts with a code of chilvary (with some notable exceptions) and could be enlightening though he would try to convince her to join his side. For CK's side, she might see a decent person in him and try to convince him to return to the light. Heck the might even go to France for a great meal and wine if things went romantic.

Sentinel: similar to Nova, he'd be forced to confront his guilty past. As part of an elite squad, he abandoned his teammates to complete the mission and get sensitive intelligence back to HQ. The three who survived were turned into cyborgs and now serve FIST. Slasher is Sentinel's personal nemesis and would be very angry. Sentinel would probably apologize but state it was for the mission.

They would probably grab a few beers at the old bar they used to go to and reminence over good times. In the end though, Slasher just couldn't forgive what happened and is too loyal to his new employer who rebuilt him in the first place. Sentinel's actions put him through hell and there's no going back on that.

Well Superbadger's worst enemy happened to have killed his family, so he would spend the 24 hours mostly sitting in the corner, glaring at him waiting for whatever has happened to wear off, so he can close in for the kill. Said archenemy would likely spend the time taunting (probably going into detail over and over about his family's last minutes). By the time this is over if he listens he will go into a big time ultimate berserker rage (his powers are really heightened in this mode, but he isnt aware of what he is doing). He likely could tune him out, as he would know to be at full awareness for the upcoming battle (and this guy has already taunted like this before, and he has learned from this mistake). Definitely an all around tense day.

Well Husky's worst enemy is Shaggy. Since Shaggy is a mindless animal driven by instinct who only knows he's different because of Husky odds are the day won't be very productive. Shaggy will keep trying to hurt Husky and it will be even less effective than usual. Since Shaggy's defensive adapatability power is unaffected by the power limitation Kenneth won't even be able to try and make any breakthroughs in reversing Shaggy's condition and turning him human again.

... Well, Cyrande doesn't have many personal arch enemies. Most of her hunteds are races. However, I can imagine...

"Father, why are you here?" She hugs him dutifully, falling back into her perfect Malvan Princess mode. They talk, and she tries gently to discourage him from taking an interest in in Earth, as he tries to draw her out and get her to relax a bit and have some fun, especially with Firewing. She'll try not to mention the Sentinels, and give an impression she's just been whiling away her days in ease.

Sailor Io would approach her day with Nemesis/ Nicolayus with a mixture of hope and fear. One of Sailor Io's major goals is to find a way to end the civil war between the Mah-ki and the Senshi and Humans and, since Nemesis is the leader of the Mah-ki, this might be her best chance to do so. However, she knows how hard it is going to speak with someone who has spent over the last 2,000 years hating them and the Moon Kingdom she represents. She's also not entirely sure how literal the statement, "He has been driven mad at being chained for all this time" is. The pressure is going to be incredible, but as always, she will try her best. Its hard to know exactly what she will say, since we've yet to actually see him in game and since she will be responding to his statements rather than just giving a lecture. But it will probably be something along these lines.

"I am sorry for everything that you and your people have suffered through the years. I know that what happened both to the Mah-ki and their families during the Inquisition was horrible, and I wish with all my heart that the Moon Kingdom had been able to find a different and better way to deal with what was going on. I'm also sorry that you and your people were forced to spend the last two thousand years trapped in Archon. Though I doubt you will believe me, that was never suppose to have happened. From the information we've been able to obtain, their Majesties had been attempting to send you and your families to a sanctuary, to a pleasant and comfortable Earthlike world where you could live in safety and peace. I don't know why things went so horribly wrong, how the realm world was twisted into the horrific place that it is now. It is one of the things that my friends and I have been trying to discover."

Her tone grows a bit more firm, "But you know something, you and your people weren't the only ones that suffered during the war. The Moon Kingdom is GONE. It is destroyed, its people were killed. And while you lost family members to the war, so did our original selves." She pauses for a second and adds, "Not only did each of the Senshi lose family and friends, our original selves died in that war. That's the nature of war, both sides suffer.â€

“There is another thing that is true about wars. Neither side is every completely in the right or completely in the wrong. Both the Mah-ki and the Moonites were trying to do what they thought was right. Trying to solve the problems they were facing as best they could.â€

“Both sides made mistakes. The most devastating one being the order for the Mah-ki to return to the Moon and the refusal to allow them to bring their families with them.†She holds his gaze for a moment. “Not because we blamed your spouses and children for what happened. And not because we feared they would taint us. But because they couldn’t survive on the moon. The Magicks of the Moon Kingdom that allowed our kind to survive and flourish there, would not work for humans.†She waits a moment and then continues, “Compared to humans, Moonites are incredibly powerful. And the senshi are more powerful than the average Moonite. But our powers are limited. I may be able to bend lightening and ice to my command, but I can not force a single flower to bloom. The situation was probably similar back then. I’m certain that their Majesties were far more powerful than we are. But, perhaps they could find no way to bend or manipulate the magicks of the Moon Kingdom so that humans could survive there. I’m not certain how those events played out exactly. Perhaps they weren’t willing to explain their reasons. Perhaps they did and weren’t believed.â€

She pauses as he states that they Moonites shouldn’t have betrayed them. That they Senshi should have fought beside them, protected them from the humans.

“Emotionally the decision their Majesties made not to send the Senshi to your aid seems so wrong, intellectually and strategically, I think I can understand why it was made. Yes, we would have been able to help you in the short term. Our strength combined with yours, would have allowed you to defeat the first band of hunters, and perhaps even the second, and the third. But....in the long term, it would not have solved anything and perhaps would have made things worse. The Mah-ki were unwilling to leave their families and come to the Moon. That wasn’t going to change. And, by fighting and defeating them, humanity would have had their perceptions of us as monsters reinforced. Perhaps, for a while, they would have been too frightened to attack you. But, as time passed, and as they developed and learned more, the attacks would have begun once again. There are only so many senshi, we wouldn’t have been able to protect and keep protecting all of you indefinitely. And even if we could, the cost in lives would have been devastating. Perhaps their majesties also feared that humanity, in their fear and anger, would launch an attack on the Moon itself.†She sighs slightly, “I’m not saying it was a good decision. But maybe it was the best decision that they could make with the options and knowledge available to them.â€

“Perhaps in the end, it doesn’t matter why things happened as they did. They happened and we have all had to live with the consequences. But, focusing on the past, the cycle of pain and death isn’t going to enable us to end it. What matters is the present and the future. This war has already had such a high cost. Its time to bring this to an end. To stop this never-ending spiral of destruction."

She nods in response to his reply, "Yes, yes. I know that you think that the best way to bring it to an end is to kill all of the Senshi and get your revenge on humanity. And, you are right, we are still young, inexperienced, still learning about who we are and everything that we can do. You do have the power to destroy us."

Her voice grows more firm, "But, it won't be easy and the cost to you and yours will be high. We are growing and maturing, becoming the force we used to be and were meant to be. We've already dealt with four of your generals. More significantly, we succeeded in bringing two of them to our way of thinking before they died."

Her voice catches for a moment and a tear glistens in her eye, as she memories flood her mind for a moment. "Vash. You probably never will realize what a truly great person your general was.â€

Anger flashes in her eyes, “Don't you dare call him a traitor. He sacrificed himself to save his people. He was set an example, taught us more than…he was a hero. A Hero for both the Senshi and the Mah-ki.â€

She allows a few tears to flow unashamedly as she continues, “I will honor the promises I made to his spirit. The Senshi have extended their protection to Vash’s people and will help them find a place in the world. And we will be willing to do the same for any other Mah-ki that is willing to live in peace with us and humanity. Vash’s actions proved to us that the path of peace between our people is the right one. And we WILL fight for it. We are going to find a way to end this circle of violence. Join with us. Help us. Or if you must oppose us. But the will forge a new path for our peoples or we will die trying.â€

It's a little bit harder to determine who Cannis would spend the day with. She doesn't have a specific nemesis yet. Really I see two possible options.

1. She spends the day with someone that she doesn't know yet. Options would include: The man who ordered her father's murder, someone that is a leading force in bringing about the future she and her group are trying to prevent, or the leader of the alien race that is planning to invade Earth.

The day would probably start with, "You are my greatest nemesis? Who are you anyhow?" She would spend the day trying to gather information and figure out why the being of power decided to put her with this person. Additionally, she would be very careful to provide him with as little information as she could. Once the day was over, she would definitely due further research and keep an eye on the person.

2. She spends the day with one of the members of the local superhero group. She would allow them to set the tone of the encounter. If they wanted to be friendly, socialize and just talk, she would be perfectly comfortable doing so. Probably dragging them off to a park so they could walk and do some stuff while talking. That's most likely to happen with Wheeler or McCray.

If they decide to just ignore her, as Santana might, she will deal with it and find other ways to amuse herself.

If they are insulting, which Stokes might be, she will be annoyed and while she will try to be polite for a while. Eventually, she will respond to insults with insults of her own.

Best case scenario, she'll have a pleasant day, get some useful information, and the hero may think he made some progress. He may have. Worst case, she'll be thinking about how nice it would be to hit someone with her staff a few times.

• 1 year later...

Jake doesn't have any nemesis - except for people he doesn't care for in his life, he's never got the attention of anyone in the "super" villian category. So, he'd have to spend the day with his next-door neighbor, Bill Watson, who hasn't liked him since 3rd grade. In all, he'd probably find the entire experience disappointing.

Shinji might get a representative from the Dark Congress, who would inquire as to his long-term goals and thoughts about continuing along his career path as a Loyal Lieutenant in some Dark General's army. (The Dark Congress is an association of east asian magi and psychics who are immune to the effects of Dark Energy, but as a consequence aren't all that powerful. They encourage the use of Dark Energy in various rituals, so that they can study the results. As a practical effect, they portray themselves as a sort of support organization for various Dark General or Evil Intelligences that seem to appear in that section of the globe. It's kind of like "Yes, Minister", but for anime supervillians.)

Shinji would politely decline, as his own quest for control over his power got his face on national television as a potential murderer of a magical girl. The representative would consider this a good reason, as the Dark Congress prefers sublty in its member's actions. Then, they'd probably talk about their respective experiences in being in the employ of insane supervillians, discuss and demonstrate tecnhniques for the control of Dark Energy, and probably have lunch. Then, they'd leave each other's company, satisfied in a day well-spent.

Soulbarb would spend the time sparring verbally with Dirge and the rest of The Choir, trying to find out more about them, their plans, and what they've done with her father's soul. Since Dirge already seems to know pretty much everything about her, she figures she's got nothing to lose in terms of secrets that might get exposed.

Everybody's favorite fem-fur, Bunny, hasn't acquired any arch-nemesis yet... however, given her future time-travelling, it's entirely possible that she'll discover that one of her time-travelling future selves /is/ her arch-enemy, and the pair will eye each other warily now that Future-Bunny has been revealed.

Other than that - Bunny will whip out her cell-phone, her credit card, and call up her charity foundation's board for a fast brainstorm on how a temporarily enforced lack of violence can be leveraged to improve the charity's operations afterwards - for example, arranging for a non-violent containment of some extraordinarily-violent individuals (whether super-villain or just generalissimo)...

Special Agent Trent doesn't have an actual arch-nemesis, so he'd most likely wind up paired off with someone who best represented one of the three classes of people he really doesn't like:

1) Menton, because Trent can't stand telepaths. This could likely go very badly, as Trent suffers intense pain from mental contact, and mental contact isn't technically violence. On the other hand, if the "no violence" is a mental compulsion . . . wait a second. If the "no violence" thing is a mental compulsion, then Trent would spend all but the first couple Turns of this day unconscious on the floor. Anyway, he'd be standing there glaring at Menton, hoping that Menton would try something mental, and that his (Trent's) unthinking, reflexive use of a 16d6 psychokinetic blast would both get past the violence filter and take Menton down.

2) A non-powered criminal, someone who had committed a fairly substantial crime. Trent would inform the FBI of the situation, place the criminal under arrest, and take him into custody the instant he was able. This would probably be someone from VIPER, now that I think about it.

3) For the most fun of all, Trent is paired with someone who represents his deep-seated resentment of supers interfering with his life. That's right, he'd be forced to spend a day with the cosmic entity pulling this stunt! He'd arrest the cosmic entity on kidnapping just for spite, and then spend the day glaring at it. If looks could kill, Trent would commit deicide.

Zeropoint

Hmm... well, dusting off a few of the char's in the archives....

Razor: Spend the day glaring at the old man returning the favor, whose bodyguards would probably be spending the day playing cards and watching the clock, waiting for when they have to start aiming at him before rushing their boss out (Razor's the dark, brooding avenger sort... and the head of the local crime syndicate and he do not get along well for some reason.)

Scarface: Mutter quietly to himself about not taking the rap for this body (his steady nemesis has been dead for a while by now.)

Silverwind: Realize that she's in the room by herself and be very, very, very scared (split personality; her nemesis is her 'other half' and a homicidal arsonist who'd get along famously with Blowtorch.)

Hunter: Spend the day trying to figure out how the blazes he's going to explain spending the day locked in the room with two teenaged girls, not even supervillains (long story.)

Corona: "Bro? Oh this is just gonna be all sorts of awkward today, isn't it?" (He's a super-powered scientist whose powers came from a mutagenic formula... his brother makes the IHA look sane and rational.)

Jaguar Pequeno would spend the day staring at Fenris as the reason that Fenris wants to kill her so badly is supernatural in nature and not anyhting based on thought.

Wind would call for the Cosmic power to remove her from the presence of the mechanon robot that was reprogrammed to act like the Black Harlequin

Guest WhammeWhamme

Rook:

So what is new?

(Technically, I suppose his teammates would count as Archnemesi... Time Travel is annoying)

If he gets paired with the future versions, this is going to be interesting. He'll want to kill them (CvK or no CvK, it's tempting), but wouldn't do it anyway. He'd probably fish for hints as to how his timeline came to be (probably totally outclassed on that front). Uhm.... what else?

He'd try and find out why they went so WRONG, I guess. Since ARCHnemesis ought to mean their leader, I guess this'll be a chance he _won't_ actually be getting in the next few weeks.