WWYCD #124 or so:Peace on Earth

nexus

Re: WWYCD #124 or so:Peace on Earth

Revenant would really hate spending the day with Grimaldi, especially because Grimaldi is insane. He would work on fine-tuning his car, fixing his gadgets, and looking for patterns in the news reports of the previous weeks, because if he were to take the day off, he would risk being destroyed.

Revenant is just that; a revenant. His existence is maintained by his relentless drive to protect the innocent from human predators. If he stopped his efforts completely, even for one day, it might be enough to unmake him.

Besides, how comfortable could -you- be, hanging out with this guy?

For the first time, Gamma Girl would be brought face-to-face with Vandal Savage, the immortal who has been trying to kill her all her life, and with her death end the bloodline of Earth-2's greatest hero, Superman. Destroying that heroic bloodline is a necessary part of the ritual that will give Savage control of the Mystic Lantern, magical counterpart of the technological Lantern of Oa.

[Explanatory note: Gamma Girl was born in the 30th Century but raised in the US in the 1970s. Her father, Kal-L Walkur, is a direct descendent of the original Earth-2 Superman, Kal-L of Krypton, and his wife Lois Lane. Gamma Girl's mother is the Earth-2 version of Duo Damsel, Luornu Durgo -- and Vandal Savage killed both Luornu and Kal-L.]

Gamma Girl (after staring at Savage for a long moment): Weird. I'd always figured you'd have horns or bat-wings, or a forked tail at the very least -- but I guess you've got your mark of Caine hidden somewhere else.

Vandal Savage: You give me too much credit. Caine was a generation or two before my time.

GG: You're a murderer.

VS: Yes. It's the way of the world, girl; the strong triumph, the weak fall and to the victor go the spoils.

GG: That tired old 'might makes right' line, that's so bogus. Maybe that's the way your world is, but it doesn't make you mighty -- it makes you a scumbag. It makes you no different from all the other scumbags --

VS (interrupting): You are an impertinent child!

GG: Truth hurts, man. For all your years, you're still scum; you're a vandal and a savage! All that experience, all that knowledge and all you do is ruin and destroy; you tear things down just 'cause it's convenient. You murdered my parents --

VS: Kindly don't get sentimental.

GG: You murdered my parents, you piece of dirt, and for what? What could a couple of scientists have had that you wanted?

VS (with a little smirk): In the case of Kal-L Walkur, only his life.

GG (thunderstruck silence)

VS (smirk blossoming into a full-fledged grin): Now in your mother's case, she was evidently still influenced by her past membership in the Legion of Superheroes -- unfortunately for her. She managed to kill me...and I returned the favor.

GG (furious tears running down her face): But you missed me, didn't you? Your grand project, and you blew it. Dad got me away and you never even knew it....

VS: An oversight that will be corrected very shortly, I promise.

GG: You promise? Then let me make a promise to you, man. I promise you on my parents' graves that whatever I can do to stop you, hurt you, harrass or frustrate you in everything and anything you do, I'll do it. You've created your very own nemesis, Vandal Savage, can you dig it?

VS (long pause): A fatal ambition, girl. You would not be the first to try --

GG (interrupts): Maybe not, but I'll be the first to succeed.

I have a feeling the dialogue would go downhill from there. Gamma Girl has a CvK, but Vandal Savage is one person she aches to make an exception for.

Powerhouse: Thanks for your comments; it's very encouraging to hear from someone who likes what I've written...and hopefully thinks I did justice to Vandal Savage. I'm always a little nervous about trying to "speak for" a canon character.

I have a lot of affection for Gamma Girl; she's the original "Haven Walkur" of my Board ID, but sometimes her 1970s dialect makes me wince a bit. Yes, she's a hero, but she's a teenage hero...and I haven't been a teenager for, um, well, for a long time.

I'm very glad you liked the exchange.

And by the bye, I've been wanting to ask you about your sig file: was that an actual in-game situation, or a "what-if?" you were writing up? In either case, it's striking and rather touching.

Blackcat doesn't really have an archnemesis, unless you count the sentient, Evil, walking darkforce powers that became indipendant of her when she was depowered. Cat would have no difficulties in a discussion, but the thing would keep trying to kill her. It is more a "monster" than a "person"

Ballitic has had two archnemesis in his career. He's dealt with both of them. At current he is getting ready for a campaign reboot, and really wouldn't have anyone specific to talk to. He'd love the day of peace though.

Angelfire would be talking to the two guys who created her - she was a genetically engineered being made from the DNA of human, angel and demon, with rituals to make the angel and demon side have thier full mystic resonance and connections to said planes, and raised her from a baby to sacrifice her at 18 - and would try and find out why they did what they did to her, and talk them out of bothering her anymore. She's 18, and there would be a lot of emotion, tears and teeth nashing.

Meeb has no archnemesis. He has problems with Viper, but they just want to try and clone him. He'd likely spend the day watching TV. It helps him learn about Earth culture.

Terminal Velocity would be talking to his half brother, who is out to kill him (and his mom), Although he has never yet met his halfbrother in game, but that is his archnemesis. It would a very emotional discussion on TV's part.

Sift would be talking with the head of the mystic orginization that tried to kill her before she was born. She wouldn't know that at the time (one of the big character mysteries), but there you go.

WWYCD #124 or so:Peace on Earth

Quetzelcoatl doesn't have a "nemesis" but he does have an Organized Crime hunted. He'd probably find himself with a certain mob boss in San Francisco, hopefully in costumed identity, although they've crossed paths in both (Secret ID is a detective.) He'd have 3 goals:

1. Learn all he can. If he can find out anything about the man's organization he didn't know already, that's useful. Every little byt helps. In costumed ID his battlesuit has recording equipment, and it will be working. Who knows, some stray unguarded comment from a soldato might help the FBI.

2. Conceal all he can. For example, put on his fake Hispanic accent and pepper his conversation with Spanish, maintaining the fiction that his secret ID is from Central America. Drop dark hints about ancient Maya Gods. His usual smokescreen.

Try not to let them realize that he's wearing a version of the very same Self-contained Hazardous Environment Exoskelotal Protection suit (disguised to make him look like a dragon) that they once tried to steal and pervert to criminal use.

3. Futile as it may be, he'll make some effort to connect with the man, understand him, and if not make him reconsider his decision to lead a life of crime, at least question him about it. Most of my characters would probably have this on their list; they tend to be interested in the villain's motivations. They'd rather have a conversation that might, just might, make a criminal consider changing his behavior, than just beat up on the "bad guys."

Lucius Alexander

Alone with a palindromedary

Zl'f doesn't have a traditional archnemesis, although she said in a March 2005 magazine interview that shopping malls are her worst enemy. That being the case, she'll reluctantly spend the day at a Copenhagen shopping mall so she and her archenemy can cooperate on making her credit card whimper. :D

• 1 year later...

Aeon has no arch enemy that he knows of, but he's rather confused. I suspect he'd wind up in the company of someone he hasn't met yet (in his own convoluted timeline) who hated his guts for something he hadn't done yet. He'd find the whole thing endlessly fascinating, of course, and he'd be a rather disorganized chatterbox the whole time, pressing his enemy for information on what happened between them.

Miss Shadow would wind up in the presence of some neo-fascist would-be warlord or other, and she wouldn't say a word. She'd just stare angrily. Without blinking. For 24 hours. Straight.

Sandboy would be stuck spending time with Vin Diesel, of course. Since Vin Diesel is actually a giant, evil reptile with whom no negotiation is possible, they would probably spend most of their time hurling insults and threats at each other and watching the clock until the 24 hours was up so they could fight each other again.

Blanche generally tries to talk things out with her enemies in any case. Given they're stuck together for the day, she'd probably do what comes naturally to an angel-succubus. And probably have one less enemy by the end of the day. Or more, if she's a very lucky demon-girl.

Morning Star would probably spend the day fighting the restraints the cosmic entity has placed on him. The day of peace thing is all well and good, but there's too much to do to waste time trying to understand why he wants to stop Kristoffer from destroying England or even trying to understand why Kristoffer hates his grandfather (Arthur Pendragon) so much. Preventing all violence (except that perpetrated by the cosmic entity itself) is fine, but there are still car accidents, forest fires, oil spills, flooding rivers, etc. that still need to be dealt with. Or hauling North America's excess grain across the oceans. Maybe the cosmic entity will let Power Star out of prison for the day, and let him stand in as the "worst enemy" and Power Star could at least keep up so they could talk while Morning Star worked on the rest of his job.

Except for Olorin, noone really has a nemesis. Volt would probably be paired with a child killer or abuser. He could remain civil no matter what, but would not like it. Once 24 hours is up, th villain better duck.

Olorin would be put in with a inner circle member of Demon, since he hates them and they are his hunted. He could deal with this, and indeed drive them nuts. He would babble about his life, the world he came from, magical theory and anything else he can come up with from his 747 years of experience. Since he only needs to sleep about 4 hours a week, this would be quite irritating. He'd t-port out when it was over - but would leave a magical tracking device on the guy. After all, that is not an attack - yet.

Black Tiger. Glares. That's all.

Futurian Would expose on the theory of time travel until the guys eyes glaze over or he begs for mercy. Then he'd go to sleep until time is up.

Blade's nemesis is Morgan, a druidic back-to-nature pagan who would probably rage about how the world is too dependent upon technology and needs to get back to the rhythms of the seasons. Blade's only response would be: "Fine. You be first to give up TP." Afterward, he'd be thinking up ways to trace this guy, once they let both of them out, and exact revenge.

Gem doesn't really have a nemesis---maybe a Scientologist?

Raptorian would probably be paired with a white collar criminal.

Starguard's worst enemy is apparently Luther Black(*)' date=' so I don't think it'd be a very productive day, given that his mere presence would trigger her Susceptibility(**) and leave her curled up on the floor in the fetal position after a couple minutes.[/quote']

I think I found a loophole! Have the meeting in a "right to die" state/province/country then free him from the "infernal bindings" (life support system not the inhuman monsters he made contracts with) that are holding him down. An act of love and mercy would be permitted by the cosmic being. And you'll save the world from a horrible fate to boot!

I think I found a loophole! Have the meeting in a "right to die" state/province/country then free him from the "infernal bindings" (life support system not the inhuman monsters he made contracts with) that are holding him down. An act of love and mercy would be permitted by the cosmic being. And you'll save the world from a horrible fate to boot!

. . .not so much.

I'm playing in Pbp (eg, slow) so personal nemeses haven't really come up. The major recurring villain so far likely has enough social ability ability to break Shooting Star if she had to spend 24 hours talking to him and couldn't flee. She needs to grow a Sense Motive, but I'm cruel and don't plan on funneling any points into that area.

Luna Moth: would either be having a long discussion with her father about her career choice, or glaring at the Morbane that got her in this mess, according to Luna's perspective.

The Flying Kittens: Will finally get to spend a whole day with their parents without any interruptions.

You know, ironically we have something like this in our game right now. Not the 24 hour moratorium on violence, but the very open relationships with our bad guys.

The closest thing Scarlet Arrow has to a nemesis is her brother, who went off to be a super villain to get away from their parents and be his own man and show the world "I can make it on my own way" and that sort of thing. The kicker is that it's Scarlet's mission to redeem him - so she's always in touch, emailing him and calling him and stuff. There's been extended periods of time (like him coming over for dinner) so they talk all the time. It's just that when the family fights, they fight BIG! :)

The nemesis of Scarlet's roommate is an ex-boy friend, and while Jade wont admit it, there's still a tiny little spark for him somewhere. And of course the boyfriend is all "Oh, she'll come around someday" and carrying a torch big-time.

The last personal nemesis lost her powers and her memory and wound up in the group's lap. Instead of offing her, they decided to help rehabilitate her and turn her back to the light side while she gets her mental ducks in a row.

Truman doesn't have a nemesis, unless you count his mother....

but Vitus does. Oh yes. Assuming the Dark Prince is left out of the equation, as a cosmic being himself, then Vitus is going to be spending the day with Scorpia of Eurostar. By the time he's finished collecting any stray hairs she drops, or spit he manages to provoke out of her, then there's nowhere she'll be able to hide from him when they're released. Using those body former bodyparts, he'll be able to track her down anywhere on the planet, and slaughter her like a animal. Quite like a slaughtered animal, in fact, since electrocution and decapatation will feature prominantly.

Miss Chaos will be stuck talking to her father. Who does not agree with her being a super.

Felicity doesn't have but since most of the party does, she'd organise a party and have great fun talking to everyone, knowing that for a change a fight isn't going to start (probably)

As for Roberta Randall, she'd sit and play with her stuffed toys and any animals that came with the people. (age 9)