Is a politician a good secret ID?

Hermit

One of my favorite old 4th Ed adventures involves an NPC who is a former super hero turned senator.

I was glancing through this, and it got me curious. How viable would various political jobs be as secret Identities? While I've got some basics, it's almost embarrasing how little I know of the routine of some elected (or appointed) officials. Would they have enough time to be super heroes? Is it at all realistic? (As realistic as super heroics get anyways)

What positions would be most likely? I think given the 24/7 coverage of the President and even Vice we can probably rule those two out to say the least.

Oh, and if you were a GM, would you allow it?

Re: Is a politician a good secret ID?

Heck, even the mayor of a large metropolitan city can't stop to take a sneeze without somebody taking notes...

For as long as digging up dirt on your electoral opponents will continue to be popular, politicians will have much tougher times keeping secret IDs than anyone else.

For mentalists and others who can use their powers in plain sight without normals noticing, it works (Pupetman from Wild Cards). Otherwise the secret would be out in a week.

Unless you're doing full on Four Color Silver Age, in which case a pair of glasses is all it takes.

One of my favorite villains was always Invictus; no better Secret ID for a Villain than being a well politically connected hero.

Wasn't there a plot seed somewhere for a hero whose Secret ID was a Viper Nest leader? ;)

Guest WhammeWhamme

Wasn't "Super-President" (something like that) a cartoon from decades past?

Anyway. It generally doesn't matter how much time they'd need to spend 'on the job' in civilian ID, at least in the comics.

As for 'esily recognized'... this is what full body costumes were MADE for. :)

Wasn't "Super-President" (something like that) a cartoon from decades past?

Anyway. It generally doesn't matter how much time they'd need to spend 'on the job' in civilian ID, at least in the comics.

As for 'esily recognized'... this is what full body costumes were MADE for. :)

"The Prez"- I ran into it in the Neil Gainman Sandman series, then tracked down a few stories. Great stuff. :)

Villains interested in long-term plans might do better to be on the politician's staff' date=' that way if the front guy gets unelected, the villain can just get a job with another politician who's in office.[/quote']

And thus Menton carefully crafted the persona of Karl Rove ...

Considering the amount of secrets and skeletons most RL politicians have, I don't see it as a problem.

The key is to make it fit the heroic idea.

For example, a superhero who is also a Senator, is going to have some patterns that crop up. He might have a reputation for saving lives with first aid, or of being absent during votes (off webslinging).

Financial independence would be a must, otherwise they would waste to much time with fundraisers.

I've had a superheroic VP, who became President after the assassination of the sitting President. He was injured fighting the focres of villainy, and entered politics.

Later, he appointed the Supreme Serpent as his Vice President, with predictible results.

Myself, I find it a good way to keep older heroes in the campaign, without having them be available to fight Galactus. Picture Tony Stark running for office.

Adnittedly, i am much too cynical for a hero or heroic NPC to be a politician.

However, I love the idea of a villain doing that (especially a Mentalist)

Mentalist politician who Mind Controls people to vote for him. I actually toyed with an idea of making a Bill Clinton clone who could mind control voters via his speeches. :)

Senator might be easiest ... have you seen the Senate in action when it's not a "major" vote... you're lucky to get a third of those lousy schmucks. seriously.

Of course, there are plenty of ploitical positions that don't get nearly as much splotlight as a Senator, Congressman or Mayor.. all of those guys have cabinets of appointed officials and assistants.

Some of those might even know more about what goes on than the guy out front, seeing as they are the day to day workings of a politician in office.

Yes Black Condor was a congres man (Can't remember if he was a rep or senator)

He however was not elected, his first case a polititian died who JUST SO HAPPENED TO LOOK EXACTLY LIKE HIM, so he sliped into his life...

Everyone is overlooking the duplication power. A duplicating politician would always have the perfect cover for their vigilante escapades.

Also a supergenius with a host of robotic doubles could also fill his public duties and his private escapades.

I mean after watching the debates this year I'm pretty sure the President actually is a robot (a poorly programmed robot at that)

Everyone is overlooking the duplication power. A duplicating politician would always have the perfect cover for their vigilante escapades.

Also a supergenius with a host of robotic doubles could also fill his public duties and his private escapades.

I mean after watching the debates this year I'm pretty sure the President actually is a robot (a poorly programmed robot at that)

So maybe Kenneth has some future career plans? :)

I agree that this would be easiest to get away with if you are in one of the political positions that aren’t constantly in the spot light and where you don't have bodyguards assigned to protect you. Local or state level politicians will have an easier time than national ones. Individuals that were appointed to an office, act as assistants, or just work for a government agency will have an easier time than elected officials.

I remember a fairly fun TV show about a judge that acted as a vigilante by night, dealing with the criminals that he’d had to release due to technicalities. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the title of it. I could see that being an interesting character concept to play though.

On a more “from direct experience†level, there are certain jobs in the government where it would be incredibly easy to slip away during the day long enough to deal with any menaces that threaten the city. A coworker of mine could have been a perfect example of someone with a secret id. The man was constantly disappearing and no one ever thought twice about not being able to find him. It wasn’t surprising since he could have been in any of three buildings, or driving property to DRMO, or just in another part of the building, etc. Though I still find it suspicious that he could vanish from sight when I was no more than 15 steps behind him. :think:

About as viable as millionaire playboy. The truth is that the responsibilities of running a corporation would interfere so greatly in your ability to fight crime that you'd basically be using your vacation tiem to combat evil. A politician with a secret ID would constantly have aids running around looking for him, "Where's the senator? He's never around when we need to discuss the Lataverian Arms Deal!"

But it's a game. Bruce Wayne gets to rarely show up at the office because people buy into the idea that if you run the company you can do absolutely nothing but rubber stamp things a couple times a week. Politician is fine for a comic book setting, but don't try it in real life ;)

yeah, it's like having a doctor or lawyer for secret ID--those guys work IRL about 50-80+ hours a week sometimes, and wouldn't really have much timefor superhero stuff.

Or, even better, working professional AND married family person--if they still need to sleep, they pretty much have to plonk down the mannequin in front of the Sunday football games and do their heroing then ;)

the sad thing si poeple get thsi impression that voting is the only thing politicians have to dobut really they have an awful lot of work not just talking to there constituants and lobbyists but various committies functions and charity events not to mention getting reellected.

somedays you probably have a breakfast meeting a lunch meeting and a charity dinner .

bvatman can get away with it because he doeesnt have to be in the office 24/7 he has lucius fox to run teh day to day operations of the company his role is as figure head and directing force and he seems to do a very good job at motivating and enhacing the companies standing.

But it's a game. Bruce Wayne gets to rarely show up at the office because people buy into the idea that if you run the company you can do absolutely nothing but rubber stamp things a couple times a week.

That's because Bruce Wayne is an absentee landlord, and his business managers really run the company. His cover persona is 'rich idiot who inherited everything', after all... :)

You know what might be fun' date=' though? A superhero-politician with a public identity. Imagine the campaign slogans. Those alone would be worth a hoot.[/quote']

Vote Max Thunder! He takes action on crime, with his own two hands!

He saved your life, now save his senate seat!

Max Thunder, fighting VIPER lobyists since 1999.

Max Thunder - Fighting the forces of Evil on the streets, in the air, and on the floor of the senate!

Swift Hero Veterans For Truth - When we fought Doctor Destroyer, Max thunder was not there! He's a liar, and he does not deserve his key to the city!

Max Thunder's Campaign Representatives - Max Thunder's record of fighting evil is well established, and those so-called Swift Hero Veterans never served with Max Thunder!

Fawks News - Max Thunder; Liar or lunatic? You decide!

Man on the street - I hate Max Thunder, he's a liar! The TV told me, so it must be true! He's in the pay of Doctor Destroyer, and he hates our country!

Primus - Our records show that Max Thunder received his key to the city fair and square.

Fawks News - Does Doctor Destroyer control Primus? You decide!

Candidate Glick's Public Statement - I condemn all third party advertisements, even those that point out that Max Thunder may be an agent of Doctor Destroyer.

Candidate Glick's Campaign Spokesman - Say, why does Thunder Lad wear such a skimpy little costume anyway? Why does an adult man spend all his free time with an underage boy?

Fawks News - Max Thunder, pervert freak? You decide!

there really arnt many jobs that are compatyible with a superheroic life style

only oen that really made sense was teh green lantern Kyle Rayner who was a freelance artist obnviously he knew how to meet his Deadlines between hsi superheroing,

reporter for a major metropolitan newspaper is good too especially if you can type at super speed. especially with your net work of contacts and informants and your automatic invites to major events that might be attacked.

DJ might work if your a big name you can make good money doing 1 or 2 hour long sets a night and teh rest of your time is free for patrol but you dont wnat to get a reputation fro unrelability if your constantly being kept late by super villains.

basically trying to hold down a job whilst being a superhero is really really hard even worse if you have to be in school or college