The New Circle

OddHat

Guest bblackmoor

Re: The New Circle

...give him a moderately-sized VPP for "on-the-fly" magic' date=' and then additional base cost and control cost to that VPP bought with the additional limitations of Extra Time, Ritual Required, etc.[/quote']

That is what I did with my own mystic PC, Nightveil. She tends to be a plot device when I am not actually playing her, since she's the most powerful magician most of the PCs know. Having her be able to do things out of combat that she wouldn't be able to pull in normal combat is exceedingly handy.

I got the idea from someone on these boards. Zornwil, I think, but I could be wrong.

Reply posted here, not there, because here is where it started and here is where it will end:

...snip...

Just a little reminder

This is a Champions thread!

Up till the point that this argument occured it was one of my favorite because several people were posting cool character concepts for a common theme game setting.

Since the big blowup something like ~99% of your posts to this thread have been arguments about anything but Champions or gaming for that matter which is what the Non Gaming Discussion board is for. And guess what? There already is a thread with your name on it waiting for you.

Please take it there so This thread does not have to be closed.

HM

Overall, I like Gentleman Jim. Interesting background, maybe not a character I'd use "as is", but he could be an interesting adversary for a Champs session.

Looking at the character critically, he's tough , but not unstoppable.

If the PCs go by the brute-force angle. GJ's desolid is vulnerable to psionics, which means a classic "psychokinesis" type character could grab him with a 20 str TK (GJ's Str is 15) and GJ would have a difficult time escaping (no t-port) and his HKA and martial arts would be useless. At this point you'd just have to carry him to a church or holy site (assuming the PCs knew about this limit) and he's done. In a mystics style game, I would expect that at least one character would have a VPP and probably be able to rationalize and whip up a magical entangle that affects desolids.

I think Killer Shrike intended GJ to be used with a certain degree of subtlety and not intended for a knock-down drag-out fight ala Grond.

In HeroSphere, GK would definitely "wreck shop". The only real danger with a character like this, is that a that a newbie GM might see GJ and throw him(unedited) at a party that couldn't deal with him. I think this was what ChuckG was concerned about. In any case, that's not Killer Shrike's concern and frankly, there've been much nastier characters posted on this board.

Again, excellent character and I might use a slightly modified version in a silver-age villain group (Legion of Doom, Masters of Evil hybrid)

Guest Skaramine

150 base VPP?!? Is he meant to replace Takofanes? The ability to pull 150 active point attacks out on the fly generally leads to a lot of grease spots where superheroes used to be standing...

If you mean the enormously high base VPP to represent that he has access to genormously powerful ritual magic, without being quite so overwhelming in direct combat or without prepared spells, you can do what Arcane Adversaries did for Demonologist -- give him a moderately-sized VPP for "on-the-fly" magic, and then additional base cost and control cost to that VPP bought with the additional limitations of Extra Time, Ritual Required, etc.

You're entitled to change the base as you need it. As for 150-base, those also take into account master-plan spells, defenses, summoned and controlled creatures and such. It's not going to be a 20d6 AP blast or a 3d6+1 AP Explosion Killing Attack.

Plus, note what he said. Master Villain. 1093 points. He's not Takofanes. But he's close and he's meant to be the main bad guy in his campaign. When the heroes whomp him, or at least trick him into backfiring his spells, then they can be satisfied.

RE: The VPP on GoldenSkull.

John will have to give the definative answer, but it appears to be a VPP with a limited spell list. If it ain't on the list, he can't cast it.

He is meant both to be a replacement of sorts for Takofanes(whom I don't particularly like) and have a limited spell list, not just on the fly. I roll having to have a spell made into the magic only limitation on his VPP.

John

You're entitled to change the base as you need it. As for 150-base, those also take into account master-plan spells, defenses, summoned and controlled creatures and such. It's not going to be a 20d6 AP blast or a 3d6+1 AP Explosion Killing Attack.

Plus, note what he said. Master Villain. 1093 points. He's not Takofanes. But he's close and he's meant to be the main bad guy in his campaign. When the heroes whomp him, or at least trick him into backfiring his spells, then they can be satisfied.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

John

RE: The VPP on GoldenSkull.

John will have to give the definative answer, but it appears to be a VPP with a limited spell list. If it ain't on the list, he can't cast it.

I think those were intended as spell examples, provided as a courtesy to anyone running the character.

I have NPC villains with big VPPs, but they're not there to generate 6d6 RKA and I think Golden Skull is intended to be used in the same spirit.

I'm lazy and short on time. Does someone want to make a summary of the members of the New Circle and other groups or characters on this thread? It could be fun to start building a more interactive history between the characters and could also lead to more ideas for new characters, always a good thing.

I'm lazy and short on time. Does someone want to make a summary of the members of the New Circle and other groups or characters on this thread? It could be fun to start building a more interactive history between the characters and could also lead to more ideas for new characters' date=' always a good thing.[/quote']

Yes, please.

me = also lazy, also short on time.

I'm lazy and short on time. Does someone want to make a summary of the members of the New Circle and other groups or characters on this thread? It could be fun to start building a more interactive history between the characters and could also lead to more ideas for new characters' date=' always a good thing.[/quote']

See posts 52-56 for the original group dynamics as posted by the thread creator OddHat.

HM

Well' date=' as a start, OddHat posted a set of "how this guy feels about that guy" lists for his official New Circle characters. We'd have to get together with OddHat and see if he wants to work out that kind of thing for any of the other characters the rest of us have posted.[/quote']

There's a complete list of the core members of the New Circle in my sig line, as well as a link to a web page with a summary of group information for easy reference. I plan to add links to each character, including those added by other posters, in the near future. If you'd like to post how you see a character interacting with or reacting to New Circle members, it would be a help to GMs and players who use this thread.

In general, the New Circle were built in 350 and 750 point versions. All New Circle members are tribute characters, and all save the Master have been magic-themed tributes to the Silver Age JLA. An attempt was made to link each member to at least one event or group in the CU Mystic World, and all are suitable as player characters. The Master is an exception; he is meant to be used as an NPC. GMs are encouraged to change these characters as needed to fit their own campaigns. Most characters have plot seeds included with their write-ups/

You are welcome to post characters, both heroes and villains. If a character is intended as a PC, I think it would be most useful to GMs and players to keep that character at 350 or 750 points. I'd also ask that both heroes and villains be tribute characters with a mystic theme to match the other characters in the thread, and that you include some plot seeds and link the character somehow to the rest of the CU. As always, this is your option.

A) In case I didn't make myself clear' date=' you've [b']BOTH[/b] been doing the damage.

B) It makes it hard to follow a thread when there's long post after long post about how much you two don't like each other. Guess what, we get the point, no need to explain it further. Seriously, doesn't it tell you anything that people are starting to treat you two like a (ding-dang) sideshow?

You've both got something to contribute to these forums, IMO, but right now you're both just plain annoying, at least on this thread.

Maybe if it were in a PowerPoint presentation?

That's it! Killer Shrike and ChuckG - I condemn thee to making a PowerPoint presentation! The ultimate punishment, BWA-HA-HA! :eg:

I saw one of those in Tijuana' date=' once. In fairness to both Killer Shrike and ChuckG, it was much more repulsive than this thread.[/quote']

I saw the Jim Rose Circus Sideshow, it was fun. Repulsive, but fun.

I wonder if Mr. Lifto's ding-dong actually works anymore?

Damn. I was going to do that. Only all seekrit like.

Anyway, here's a Phantom Stranger homage. I don't remember seeing one of those yet. Yes, she's a lot of points -- but she's essentially a statted-out plot device, and I don't consider points for those any more relevant than points for Dr. Destroyer's latest doomsday device, or for The Examiner. She just makes adventures start.

The Lady In Black

(snip)[/size]

Another great one, though I like the Phantom Stranger and only have read maybe half a dozen comics with him. How close is she to him?

I really liked the plot-based powers, that's cool, even if not something I'd normally do for a character - it does fit the Stranger's sort of "meta-knowledge" status.

Yeah' date=' which is one of the reasons I don't like going anymore (I will still go to see a movie occasionally, but it's less fun than it used to be when I was younger.) The popcorn and sodas aren't as big an issue for me as the other foodstuffs that are now served.[/quote']

Sorry to hear that. What I don't like about movie places is just seating, I can't sit still well that long and the seats/view often isn't good. But stadium seating places work great for me, those I enjoy, and we second-run pub theaters, and that's very nice, to sit at a table and drink and eat and watch...whoops. :) Although, I guess that might be different, how do you feel about dining in an actual dinner-pub kind of place and watching a movie on a big screen?