Robotech HERO (spec. Invid Invasion)

JohnOSpencer

I am working on making the mecha and such from Robotech: Invid Invasion(or New Generation if you prefer) for HERO. I am trying to get something concrete to start.

All I have is:

Invid Mecha will be built like characters(since they never leave their mecha) with armor by location to make them easier to kill by shooting the eye.

A rough chart based on informaton from the Robotech Reference Guide(http://www.artemisgames.com/robotech/).

If anyone has done something like this, or has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

John

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Robotech HERO (spec. Invid Invasion)

I'm not sure how useful this will be to you, but our resident mecha guru, NuSoard Graphite, contributed detailed and thoughtful writeups for several classes of mech from the Robotech universe:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14174

Thanks, didn't find that one earlier. It'll be very helpful.

John

In order to make it easier to balance the Invid against the piloted mecha of their opponents, I'd suggest building them as Vehicles with an AI "computer" guiding them. You could assign them a Vulnerability for increased BODY damage from shots which hit the eye. The optional Hit Locations for mech vehicles from The Ultimate Vehicle would probably help you with this too.

So far, the hardest part will be making the stats to fit the background. Many of the weapons should kill a small invid in one hit. The cylcone write up you linked , has too much armor I think(or the weapons are too weak). Cyclones have good armor, but any missile that would kill a small invid, should trash them also, but on average they will take only about 4 Body from an average hit(the pilot, I mean).

Still puzzling it out.

John

Here is the basic Hit location chart I plan on using for Invid mecha

Here is for the basic unarmed mecha:

Roll Location Body X To Hit

3-5 Sensor Eye 2 -8

6-8 Arm 1 -5

9 Thruster(Rear) 1.5 -6

10-14 Main Body 1 -3

15-18 Leg 1 -4

Here is for the basic unarmed mecha:

Roll Location Body X To Hit

3-5 Sensor Eye 2 -8

6-8 Arm 1 -5

9 Thruster(Rear) 1.5 -6

10-13 Main Body 1 -3

14 Weapon .5 -6

15-18 Leg 1 -4

Any suggestions?

John

In order to make it easier to balance the Invid against the piloted mecha of their opponents' date=' I'd suggest building them as Vehicles with an AI "computer" guiding them. You could assign them a Vulnerability for increased BODY damage from shots which hit the eye. The optional Hit Locations for mech vehicles from [i']The Ultimate Vehicle[/i] would probably help you with this too.

I would rather build them as mecha with a pilot, and maybe give the mecha a limitation Pilot dies if takes more then x damage in hit location-sensor eye.

I would rather build them as mecha with a pilot' date=' and maybe give the mecha a limitation Pilot dies if takes more then x damage in hit location-sensor eye.[/quote']

Maybe make the mecha's defense -1/4 doesn't protect eye, and then buy armor for the eye and have it like a windshield in a car: you can shoot through it and hit the crew?

John

So far, the hardest part will be making the stats to fit the background. Many of the weapons should kill a small invid in one hit. The cylcone write up you linked , has too much armor I think(or the weapons are too weak). Cyclones have good armor, but any missile that would kill a small invid, should trash them also, but on average they will take only about 4 Body from an average hit(the pilot, I mean).

Still puzzling it out.

John

Well, if you go by the damage the Cyclone's forearm missles do the Armored Piercing missiles do 4D6+1K APx2. Thats an average of 15 Body AP. That means the Defense of the Cyclone is reduced to 7. The total defense is reduced to 11, doing 3 Body. (note the Cyclone has a Defense of 13hard and this adds to the CVR-3 Body armor of 9)

If you want the damage to increase, simply reduce the amount of armor by 2pts each (Cyclone Def 11, CVR armor Def 7) which will produce an average Body damage of 6 after armor. 2 hits from an average AP missile and its bye bye Cyclone-trooper!

take into consideration I was going with the assumption that the GM would want the main body of the Cyclone to take considerable damage before being destroyed. (well, considerable for a motorcycle)

Also don't forget that the arms and helmet are not protected by the Cyclone armor...only the CVR-3 body armor. That means an Invid plasma blast that hits the arms or (god forbid!) the head will likely maim or kill the Cyclone-trooper! As far as I'm concerned, thats lethal enough without reducing the effectiveness of the torso protection.

Also, 4D6K should be more than enough to single-shot kill an Invid scout trooper if you consider an Eye hit to bypass armor completely. (make sure they have 14 Body or less for this to occur)

To go along with fluff, I increased the average Body of CVR-3 to 11(increasing all armor except loc 6, 8 by one each). I've also made it(and the cyclone) unhardened.

The damage I've come up with(still trying to be true to fluff) is:

GR-97(Forearm missiles): 5d6K AP

RL-6(Rook's Launcher): 6d6K Pen

GR-103(Lancer's chest missiles/RPGs): 5d6K

RL-2(single shot launcher): 8d6 Pen

I've decided to make missiles more powerful than most handheld weapons(it fits the series). And since they won't be used against the PCs too ofter(the Invid only have one mecha with missiles), it doesn't really affect survivability.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'll probably use these as benchmarks to make the Invid.

BTW:NuSoardGraphite, I do appreciate your input and your previous designs of the Cyclone and CVR-3 armor, they are a great help to me.

John

I think I have Body and DEF values for the various Invid Mehca, but... I am running into the problem of most weapons not hurting an individual in cyclone armor. Even with armor piercing on most of the missiles, most do little or no Body to them. I haven't played/run many heroic level games, is this a problem, or not? Temporarily I have made most missiles penetrating, just so they take some damage, but this might make it too deadly.

Any suggestions?

John

I think I have Body and DEF values for the various Invid Mehca, but... I am running into the problem of most weapons not hurting an individual in cyclone armor. Even with armor piercing on most of the missiles, most do little or no Body to them. I haven't played/run many heroic level games, is this a problem, or not? Temporarily I have made most missiles penetrating, just so they take some damage, but this might make it too deadly.

Any suggestions?

John

No. This is typically not a problem in Heroic level games. This is a problem with the Cyclone trooper because he gets protected by both the armor of the Cyclone and then his CVR-body armor.

Here's a fix:

Since the CVR-3 body armor is an inherent component in the Cyclone transformation to warrior mode, consider its defense as a part of the defense of the Cyclone's warrior transformation. Thus, simply slightly increase the DEF characteristic of the torso section of the Cyclone in warrior mode, don't count both the DEF of the Cyclone and the CVR-3's Def for the pilot. Any damage that gets through the cyclones DEF in warrior mode (on the torso) goes through to the pilot.

That should solve that issue.

Here's a suggestion:

Make the DEF of the cyclone (in general) around DEF 10. Then in the Warrior mode, the Torso DEF should increase to 13 or 14 because of the inclusion of the CVR-3 body armor.

If the DEF isn't hardened, it would only be DEF 7 vs an AP missile attack and at 4D6 or 5D6, those can produce a lot of damage quickly. (a 5D6K AP attack on average would produce 10 body damage after subtracting armor)

Thanks NuSoardGraphite, those are both very helpful.

Next on my list is fixing the DEF/BODY, DEX/SPD of the Invid Mecha.

Here's what I have now:

Scout DEF:14, BODY:12, DEX:18, SPD:4

Trooper DEF:16, BODY:16, DEX:15, SPD:4

Pincer(Enforcer) DEF:18, BODY:20, DEX:20, SPD:5

Royal Command Battloid DEF:18H, BODY:25, DEX:26, SPD:6

Comments.

I will post the weapons chart as soon as I have it if a postable form.

Thanks for your help,

John

Here's an Invid Armored Scout. If you see anything I missed, please let me know.

Invid Armored Scout

Player: NPC Enemy

Val** Char*** Cost
20** STR 0
15** DEX 15
12** BODY 0
4** SPD 15
*12"**RUN120"**SWIM-20"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 86

Cost** Power END
60** Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6 (4d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)* 0
4** Manuverability: +2 with Flight*
145** Plasma Pulse Cannons: Multipower, 97-point reserve, all slots Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)*
6u** 1) Area Saturation Pulses: Energy Blast 10d6, Explosion (+1/2); Requires Both Cannons Functional (-1/4)* 0
8u** 2) Rapid -Fire Pulse: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2); Requires Both Cannons Functional (-1/4)* 0
6u** 3) Single Pulse: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6+1* 0
15** Protoculture Sense: Detect Protoculture 9- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Telescopic (+2 versus Range Modifier)* 0
8** Protoculture Targeting: +3 with Ranged Combat; Only vs Protoculure-Powered Mecha (-1/2), Only 1 Level per 'Level' of Mecha (-1/4)*
70** Scout Thrusters: Flight 30", x8 Noncombat* 0
7** Visual Protoculture Sensor: Detect Protoculture 9- (Sight Group), Telescopic (+4 versus Range Modifier)* 0
Powers Cost: 329

Total Character Cost: 415

Base Points: 415

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

I was actually thinking about that. I will probably raise it to about 25, they're only about 8' tall or so. I also forgot to give it life support. I actually have most of the invid mecha done, and I will post them as I get the chance.

John Spencer

Invid Armored Scout

Val** Char*** Cost
25** STR 5
15** DEX 15
12** BODY 0
4** SPD 15
*12"**RUN120"**SWIM-20"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 91

Cost** Power END
60** Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6 (4d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)* 0
4** Manuverability: +2 with Flight*
4** Mecha Limbs: Extra Limbs(Two Arms, Two Legs) (4); Limited Manipulation (-1/4)* 0
145** Plasma Pulse Cannons: Multipower, 97-point reserve, all slots Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)*
6u** 1) Area Saturation Pulses: Energy Blast 10d6, Explosion (+1/2); Requires Both Cannons Functional (-1/4)* 0
8u** 2) Rapid -Fire Pulse: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2); Requires Both Cannons Functional (-1/4)* 0
6u** 3) Single Pulse: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6+1* 0
17** Protoculture Sense: Detect Protoculture 11- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Telescopic (+2 versus Range Modifier)* 0
8** Protoculture Targeting: +3 with Ranged Combat; Only vs Protoculure-Powered Mecha (-1/2), Only 1 Level per 'Level' of Mecha (-1/4)*
19** Sealed Systems: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing)* 0
9** Visual Protoculture Sensor: Detect Protoculture 11- (Sight Group), Telescopic (+4 versus Range Modifier)* 0
Powers Cost: 356

Total Character Cost: 447

Val** Disadvantages
10** Physical Limitation: Bad Resolution on Visual Sensors(Except Protoculture) (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)*

Disadvantage Points: 10

Base Points: 437

Invid Enforcer / Pincer Command Unit

Val** Char*** Cost
40** STR 0
20** DEX 30
20** BODY 4
5** SPD 20
*18"**RUN240"**SWIM-20"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 154

Cost** Power END
60** Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6 (5d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)* 0
58** Enforcer Thrusters: Flight 24", x8 Noncombat* 0
270** Laser Cannons: Multipower, 180-point reserve, all slots Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)*
9u** 1) Normal Blast: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6* 0
14u** 2) Sustained Blast: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6, Continuous (+1); Only Continuous for a Maximum of 3 Phases, and is Escaped by Dodging (-1/4)* 0
4** Mecha Limbs: Extra Limbs(Two Arms, Two Legs) (4); Limited Manipulation (-1/4)* 0
13** Protoculture Sense: Detect Protoculture 9- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range* 0
3** Visual Protoculture Sense: Detect Protoculture 9- (Sight Group)* 0
19** Sealed Systems: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing)* 0
Powers Cost: 458

Total Character Cost: 612

Val** Disadvantages
10** Physical Limitation: Bad Resolution on Visual Sensors(Except Protoculture) (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)*

Base Points: 602

Invid Hive Guard

Val** Char*** Cost
25** STR 10
15** DEX 15
11** BODY 0
4** SPD 15
*10"**RUN80"**SWIM-220"**LEAP20Characteristics Cost: 101

Cost** Power END
93** Anti-Personnel Laser: Multipower, 62-point reserve, all slots Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)*
6u** 1) High Power Mode: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6+1, Autofire (2 shots; +1/4)* 0
6u** 2) Low Power Mode: Killing Attack - Ranged 2 1/2d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2)* 0
13** Protoculture Sense: Detect Protoculture 9- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range* 0
25** Thruster Pack: Flight 10", x4 Noncombat* 0
** Optional Equipment*
5** 1) Energy Shield: Force Field (5 PD/5 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (-1), Must Block to use at more than 11- Activation (-3/4)* 0
40** 2) Plasma Rifle: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (-1), Rapidly Expends Protoculture Cell (-1/4)* 0
Powers Cost: 222

Total Character Cost: 323

Val** Disadvantages

Base Points: 313

Invid Royal Command Battloid

Val** Char*** Cost
45** STR 0
26** DEX 48
25** BODY 8
6** SPD 24
*16"**RUN200"**SWIM-20"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 181

Cost** Power END
30** Armored Punch: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (4d6 w/STR)* 3
13** Enhanced Armor: Hardened (+1/4) applied to DEF*
8** Manuverability: +4 with Flight*
225** Misfit Missile Pods: Multipower, 150-point reserve, 64 Charges (+1/2)*
2u** 1) Misfit Anti-Missile Barrage: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Extra OCV +4; Only vs Missiles (-1), Requires 1/2 the number of missiles in defelected barrage (-1/2)* 0
10u** 2) Misfit Missile Area Barrage: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6, Area Of Effect (8" Any Area; +1); Uses 2 charges per 1" of AOE (-1/2)* 15
15u** 3) Misfit Missile Burst: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6, Autofire (10 shots; +1)* 15
7u** 4) Misfit Missiles: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6* 7
315** Mixer Missile Pods: Multipower, 210-point reserve, 42 Charges (+1/2)*
14u** 1) Mixer Missile Area Barrage: Killing Attack - Ranged 7d6, Area Of Effect (11" Any Area; +1); Uses 2 charges per 1" of AOE (-1/2)* 21
16u** 2) Mixer Missile Burst: Killing Attack - Ranged 7d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2)* 16
10u** 3) Mixer Missile: Killing Attack - Ranged 7d6* 10
270** Plasma Cannon: Multipower, 180-point reserve, all slots Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)*
9u** 1) Area Saturation: Energy Blast 12d6, Explosion (+1/2)* 0
9u** 2) Normal Blast: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6* 0
18u** 3) Plasma Burst: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6, Autofire (10 shots; +1)* 0
172** Royal Command Battloid Thrusters: Flight 38", x8 Noncombat, Full Reverse (+1/4), No Turn Mode (+1/4), Sideways Maneuverability full velocity (+1/2)* 0
Powers Cost: 1190

Total Character Cost: 1371

Base Points: 1371

Invid Scout

Val** Char*** Cost
25** STR 5
15** DEX 15
12** BODY 0
4** SPD 15
*12"**RUN120"**SWIM-20"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 91

Cost** Power END
60** Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2 1/2d6 (4d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)* 0
6** Manuverability: +3 with Flight*
17** Protoculture Sense: Detect Protoculture 11- (Unusual Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Telescopic (+2 versus Range Modifier)* 0
9** Visual Protoculture Sense: Detect Protoculture 11- (Sight Group), Telescopic (+4 versus Range Modifier)* 0
Powers Cost: 193

Total Character Cost: 284

Val** Disadvantages

Base Points: 274

Invid Shock Trooper

Val** Char*** Cost
30** STR 0
15** DEX 15
16** BODY 2
4** SPD 15
*16"**RUN200"**SWIM-20"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 112

Cost** Power END
82** Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3 1/2d6 (5 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)* 0
168** Plasma Pulse Cannons: Multipower, 112-point reserve, all slots Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)*
7u** 1) Area Saturation Pulses: Energy Blast 12d6, Explosion (+1/2); Requires Both Cannons Functional (-1/4)* 0
9u** 2) Rapid Fire Pulses: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2); Requires Both Cannons Functional (-1/4)* 0
7u** 3) Single Pulse: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6* 0
41** Trooper Thrusters: Flight 18", x4 Noncombat* 0
Powers Cost: 361

Total Character Cost: 473

Val** Disadvantages

Base Points: 463