Summon Robots?

Demonsong

Summon Robots?

I am making a super high tech character for a supers campaign with 4 robots companions, 3 robots wolves and 1 robot eagle. 1 wolf will stay at his small hidden base as a sort of guard dog and a replacement, and the other 2 wolves and eagle will accompany him. Now these robots are not super powerful, 10 body for the wolves 8 body for the eagle with 8-10 points of resistant defense; with attacks in the 2-3D6 killing range. I have every expectation that these robots are going to be destroyed on a semi-regular basis. So I am thinking that making them followers is not the way to go, as I will lose the character points for them when they die. So I thought I would steal the idea of summoning skeletons and zombies from Fantasy Hero and make the (+1) Slavishly Loyal Summoned creatures with the disadvantages of -2 OAF Expendable- Requires expensive equipment and workshop to build, and -4.5 Extra Time- 8Days (2 days per robot). Making the whole power look like this…

Summon 300-point robots (60 point)

X4 of them (+10 points)

Limited group 3 wolves and 1 eagle (+5)

+1 Slavishly Loyal Summoned

-2 OAF Expendable- requires expensive equipment and workshop to build

-4.5 Extra Time- 8 days (2 days per robot)

150pts active

20pts real cost

What do you think?

Would you allow this in you supers campaign?

Is there a better way to do this? I was thinking about followers with some type of regeneration/resurrection with a limitation that they must be rebuilt, but it just didn’t feel right.

As a side note all of the robots and the main character have the same DEX and SPD to help keep book keeping to a minimum.

Thanks for your input.

Demonsong

Re: Summon Robots?

I wouldn't allow it in one of my games. The Extra Time is the major deal breaker; it's not a meaningful limit. He's getting -4.5 because if the robots are destroyed he won't get new ones until a game week has passed. Also, this is a 150 active point power; your GM may have point limits set. Ask him.

They're Robot Followers. Myself, as a GM, I'd let you rebuild them without charging you anything, or at most 5 points to "double" the number of followers you'd initially paid for. Or you could give them Ressurection: Must Be Rebuilt, which is legal.

I would just give the robots:

1d6 Regeneration, Resurrection, Can Heal Limbs, 0 END, Persistant, Extra Time (1 hour), Self Only, Requires Skill Roll. 16 points.

That will give you a robot that can be repaired in about 10 hours (assuming 10 body) and is never lost if destroyed.

I'd probably allow Summon Robots in my campaign, but I'd limit you to 90 active, if you could make it work.

Of course, like many of the posters above, if you built them as followers and they got destroyed, I wouldn't have you lose the Character Points, I'd simply allow you to re-build them and even put in gained XP to improve them once you had access to a lab/workshop to do so. (unless your character is like Forge and can built them from anything)

As was recently popinted out to me, the FAQ allows summoning of vehicles and automata - check it out - so I would say the idea is perfectly legal.

I agree with the comments on the HUGE limitation you are applying for extra time. I would also point out that you can't have OAF if you are summoning - just wrong. An OAF can be taken away and access to the powers prevented with a grab. Now you could grab a 300 point robot wolf, but that doesn't stop it working....

Also it seems to me that you are buying followers, not summoned creatures, as, from your description, they are basically there all the time, and it seems to fir the concept better. Check FRED58. It may or may not be more expensive, but you are getting quite a lot of utility there. What level of points is the base character?

Would I allow it? Possibly; depends on the campaign. Would you be happy with the results? Let's see...

I am making a super high tech character for a supers campaign with 4 robots companions' date=' 3 robots wolves and 1 robot eagle. 1 wolf will stay at his small hidden base as a sort of guard dog and a replacement, and the other 2 wolves and eagle will accompany him. Now these robots are not super powerful, 10 body for the wolves 8 body for the eagle with 8-10 points of resistant defense; with attacks in the 2-3D6 killing range. I have every expectation that these robots are going to be destroyed on a semi-regular basis.[/quote']

Bet on it.

So I am thinking that making them followers is not the way to go' date=' as I will lose the character points for them when they die.[/quote']

The Regen idea posted above would solve that.

So I thought I would steal the idea of summoning skeletons and zombies from Fantasy Hero and make the (+1) Slavishly Loyal Summoned creatures with the disadvantages of -2 OAF Expendable- Requires expensive equipment and workshop to build, and -4.5 Extra Time- 8Days (2 days per robot). Making the whole power look like this…

Summon 300-point robots (60 point)

X4 of them (+10 points)

Limited group 3 wolves and 1 eagle (+5)

+1 Slavishly Loyal Summoned

-2 OAF Expendable- requires expensive equipment and workshop to build

OAF means it can be grabbed. Basically, any interruption over the whole extra time period will void the summon, and you have to start again from scratch (ie another 8 days). At -1. the expendable focus (which vanishes after each power use) is unique or extraordinarily rare, costs a fortune or is extremely dangerous to obtain. It's not something you will reliably have access to.I would suggest the focus is not Expendable, but rather Immobile.

-4.5 Extra Time- 8 days (2 days per robot)

150pts active

20pts real cost

Unlike many posters, I think an 8 day time requirement is very limiting. First, you need to be in the lab for 8 days, non-stop, to rebuild. You can take other actions, but you MUST have your focus throughout, so you can't leave the lab. And that's not 2 days per robot, it's 8 days for each use of Summon, whether you summon 1 or all 4.

I hope you have no secret ID - disappearing for a week at a time can crimp that pretty good. Even if you can lock yourself in the lab with no ID issues, scenarios will not stop while you are rebuilding. "Well, it's been five days since you returned from Dimension X. Your government liason has contacted you to request assistance - Eurostar has announced they will attack and destroy the Statue of Liberty in two days." Your choices:

(a) Leave the lab and join the adventure. Your robots remain destroyed and you need 8 days without interruption to rebuild them.

(B) Stay in your lab and miss the adventure.

Note that, sooner or later, some villain will destroy your lab (which you paid points for in your base, right?), creating larger time delays or other inconveniences.

Overall, the power will commonly be unavailable. Is this unfair? Not in my books - you wanted a 150 point power for a 20 point cost. The only limitation is that it won't always be available. At -2 1/2, you could have Activate 8-, Jammed (about a 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 chance each day). At -4 1/2, how likely should it be the power is available for any given scenario?

So yes, I would allow the power (regardless of AP restrictions), but your limitations would come into play at the level of point savings achieved, so you would rarely have the benefits of that 150 AP power.

BTW, you lose 15 END when your Summon is completed, since you didn't make it 0 END. I guess someone will eventually attack the lab just as you finish the exhausting final stage of the rebuilding process.

Hate to say it: But the regen is wrong: Try this:

As a power the base has:1d6 Healing: Heal Limbs & ressurection: Only vs robotics/cybernetics(-1/2), OIF, Immobile, extra time x-minutes, requires Skill roll

This represents a robotics lab that the character can rebuild robots in. The power itself is not on the followers, and will only be a drop in the bucket do to limitations and the base discount

The FRED followers definition allows you to replace followers without paying more points, with GM permission. This seems like a perfect excuse for allowing that and would mean a greater degree of flexibilty - you could just role play the rebuild.

One question (and not a rules one): do you have a justification for only being able to build 4 robots? I mean, if you could build the whole thing from scratch you'd keep spare bodies about, surely? Perhaps the bodies can be rebuilt, but the cybernetic brains are experimental tech you didn't build and can't easily reproduce or replace...that could save you a few points in construction...

Also, this is a 150 active point power; your GM may have point limits set. Ask him.

Not necessary because I am the GM :)

I just like to be fair and equal about things and not use or do things in my campaign that I would not let players do....well most of the time.

I would also point out that you can't have OAF if you are summoning - just wrong. An OAF can be taken away and access to the powers prevented with a grab. Now you could grab a 300 point robot wolf, but that doesn't stop it working....

OAF means it can be grabbed. Basically, any interruption over the whole extra time period will void the summon, and you have to start again from scratch (ie another 8 days). At -1. the expendable focus (which vanishes after each power use) is unique or extraordinarily rare, costs a fortune or is extremely dangerous to obtain. It's not something you will reliably have access to.I would suggest the focus is not Expendable, but rather Immobile.

It is taken directly out of Summoning spells in Fantasy Hero. If it is so wrong why is Steve using it in his books? I take too mean you need these items to accomplish the action of summoning and that the items are expended in the processes. I am simply looking for the best, most accurate way to do this; points cost is not an issue because I am the GM.

Also it seems to me that you are buying followers, not summoned creatures, as, from your description, they are basically there all the time, and it seems to fir the concept better.

As I stated about I am going of the Necromancy Summoning spells from fantasy hero because they are basically the concept I am going for. Summon a few skeleton minions (or Robot Minions) watch them get stomped in to the ground. And then go home and summon (make) more.

I am looking at this like a modern-day necromancer, if you take my meaning.

Note that, sooner or later, some villain will destroy your lab (which you paid points for in your base, right?), creating larger time delays or other inconveniences.

Yes he paid for his well-hidden lab.

One question (and not a rules one): do you have a justification for only being able to build 4 robots? I mean, if you could build the whole thing from scratch you'd keep spare bodies about, surely? Perhaps the bodies can be rebuilt, but the cybernetic brains are experimental tech you didn't build and can't easily reproduce or replace...that could save you a few points in construction...

Not really, more than 4 sounded overpowered. Not that the power wasn't over powered to begin with.

Good suff all...Thanks!

Demonsong

Hate to say it: But the regen is wrong: Try this:

As a power the base has:1d6 Healing: Heal Limbs & ressurection: Only vs robotics/cybernetics(-1/2), OIF, Immobile, extra time x-minutes, requires Skill roll

This represents a robotics lab that the character can rebuild robots in. The power itself is not on the followers, and will only be a drop in the bucket do to limitations and the base discount

That version wont work because you can't ever heal more than 2 body damage with it. For it to be regeneration you must buy the 0 end and persistent. With those things you get to magically negate the "can't heal more than you can roll" rule.

It is taken directly out of Summoning spells in Fantasy Hero. If it is so wrong why is Steve using it in his books? I take too mean you need these items to accomplish the action of summoning and that the items are expended in the processes. I am simply looking for the best' date=' most accurate way to do this; points cost is not an issue because I am the GM. [/quote']

It's not "wrong". However, at the "additional -1 limitation" level, an expendable focus is extremely difficult to replace. The Summoning spell in Fantasy Hero reflects one that requires substantial effort from the Necromancer in question to gather the required items in order to cast the spell. Having cast the spell, he must then go through all the dificulties oif acquiring the same focus again should he wish to undertake another casting.

As well, he has to spend 8 days with his Focus in order to bring the spell to fruition, and if interrupted/focus taken away during that time, he doesn't finish the spell and needs to begin again from scratch (I'm not wure whether his focus is already expended, but I'm inclined to say not, since the spell was not complete so the Summon was never activated).

This kind of spell is, to me, very much a plot device. "The evil necromancer has obtained the skulls of 13 murderers hanged on All Saints Day, which he requires to prepare his "From Beyond the Grave" spell. We must find him and prevent him from completing the eight day ritual, or his undead hordes will destroy the Kingdom!"

As I stated about I am going of the Necromancy Summoning spells from fantasy hero because they are basically the concept I am going for. Summon a few skeleton minions (or Robot Minions) watch them get stomped in to the ground. And then go home and summon (make) more.

Yup. But with an 8 day time requirement and OAF Expendable (-2), it's a very long and involved process. I would probably design such a Necromancer with a spell that summons some very minor Undead with a more portable Focus (maybe still tough to obtain - isn't the expendable focus for summoning Undead normally the dead bodies to be animated?), in far less time. If my Necromancer's only spell required 8 days to cast and an expendable focus which is extremely tough to recover, I'd be buying some weapon levels as well, since he'll be on his own a lot. Of course, an NPC necromancer can be taken to have cast the spoell before meeting the PC's, and he may not live long enough to need to cast it again. One advantage of being an NPC is that you tend to be able to find your expendable focii, and the time to cast your rituals, if it advances the plot. As well, many NPC's get to choose the battleground (eg if you want the Ruby of Karshoon, you'll have to take it from me in my unholy lair, where my -2 "Only in unholy places" limitation doesn't hurt my effectiveness). PC's need a lot more versatility.

I think your preliminary comment is a good one. Would you allow a PC to have 4 300 point robots available pretty much without fail for the 20 point investment you describe, or would those limitations be used to restrich his access to this fairly powerful ability? As well, would you alow the player to have a 150 AP power to begin with? [For me, if my answer to the former were "Yes", or if I were satisfied that the limitations would restrict the power of this ability to something workable, then I wouldn't lose sleep over the AP of the power.]

That version wont work because you can't ever heal more than 2 body damage with it. For it to be regeneration you must buy the 0 end and persistent. With those things you get to magically negate the "can't heal more than you can roll" rule.

This assumes the maximum healing, once done, can never be done again (ie once I heal 2 BOD on my friend today, he can never be healed again, so long as the characters exist. Fantasy Hero suggests a time period after which Healing will work again, and an advantage for reducing that time period. But the "2 BOD every 5 minutes" power suggested would hit the cap very quickly without a pretty hefty advantage.

What about 1d6 Transform: Parts and equipment to replacement robot, OIF, Immobile, extra time x-minutes, requires Skill roll "Heal" the transform by busting up the resultant robot, or just assume it heals gradually unless further applications are made - repairs and maintenance of the robots.