How would you do this form of Teleportation?

nexus

When the character teleports (or teleports something) there must be an equal exchange of matter. Ususally this is only a rush of air. But if, for example. he teleported into solid rock. He wouldn't instantly die but would be entombed until he teleported again and a hunk of stone his exact shape would appear at his origin space. He could use this ability to attack by either teleporting into people or teleporting things into them to cause parts of their body to be teleported away.

Re: How would you do this form of Teleportation?

When the character teleports (or teleports something) there must be an equal exchange of matter. Ususally this is only a rush of air. But if' date=' for example. he teleported into solid rock. He wouldn't instantly die but would be entombed until he teleported again and a hunk of stone his exact shape would appear at his origin space. He could use this ability to attack by either teleporting into people or teleporting things into them to cause parts of their body to be teleported away.[/quote']

This is one of those excellent ideas that should be quietly taken outside and beaten to death, because, whilst you can build it, you'll never get it working quite right, and the player will be constantly hitting the GM with 'yeah, but if I teleport this I-beam into his chest, he's dead, right?' (Anyone read MiracleMan by Alan Moore?)

Thing is, Champions is not an all-or -nothing system like that. The multipower with various effects is good, but won't give you quite what you are after. You should probably link an indirect NND attack that does BODY to the teleport. The amount of BODY should be enough to destroy a character sized hole in the hardest substance you are ever going to teleport into, SFX, it brings the contents of the hole to the point of origin of the teleport, only casues damage in things that intersect the teleport destination. PLUS you should also buy an indirect UAA teleport, also linked to your teleport, so you could do cool things like teleporting into the villain's armour, and teleporting him out, for instance. Trust me, you don't have the points.

Noone suggest using transformation. I mean that.

nexus,

I don't think this should be impossible, but I do think that it should be expensive, and possibly dangerous.

Here is what I would come up with if a Player asked for this power.

It is not perfect, because what you are asking for would basically be:

"Automatically kill any one being within the range of my teleport."

and that is just a bit unbalancing. ;)

1) Buy the Teleport, of course.

The swapping materials bit, when not used as an attack against a person or structure, I would just consider SFX. Buy twice as much as you want, because you are going to be doing half-moves when you attack.

2) Buy a HTH Killing Attack of sufficient size to "one shot" most things you are going to encounter. (Hey, I said it was going to be expensive.)

I would allow the following Limitations:

a) All or Nothing (- 1/2) : This normally applies to Transformation attacks, but in this case, it makes total sense to me. Either you teleport inside someone and they are dead, or you don't.

B) Charges : To me it would make perfect sense if you could only do this a limited number of times per day, before the strain tore you apart.

c) Side Effect : You can determine the severity of this yourself. Basically if your attack doesn't work, you take some or all of the damage yourself.

d) Linked : You can only do the attack after a teleport, not just on it's own.

So, in play, what basically happens is this.

Mecanically speaking, you are doing a half-move teleport "right next" to the person you want to attack.

Then, you do your massive HKA.

If you hit, and do enough damage to outright kill the person (or destroy the object), then the SFX is, you teleport inside them and they die.

If you don't hit, or don't roll enough damage to kill them outright, then you "miss".

You blinked, they twitched, something happened that caused you to end up right next to them rather than inside them.

Based on how I see this, you would not suffer the side-effects built into teleportation for teleporting into a solid object, because you are really teleporting "right next" to the object, and you only end up "inside" if you hit with your attack, in which case what was there is already destroyed.

KA.

P.S. Unless it was only used against objects, this is not exactly something I would consider "heroic".

Guest WhammeWhamme

This is one of those excellent ideas that should be quietly taken outside and beaten to death, because, whilst you can build it, you'll never get it working quite right, and the player will be constantly hitting the GM with 'yeah, but if I teleport this I-beam into his chest, he's dead, right?' (Anyone read MiracleMan by Alan Moore?)

Thing is, Champions is not an all-or -nothing system like that. The multipower with various effects is good, but won't give you quite what you are after. You should probably link an indirect NND attack that does BODY to the teleport. The amount of BODY should be enough to destroy a character sized hole in the hardest substance you are ever going to teleport into, SFX, it brings the contents of the hole to the point of origin of the teleport, only casues damage in things that intersect the teleport destination. PLUS you should also buy an indirect UAA teleport, also linked to your teleport, so you could do cool things like teleporting into the villain's armour, and teleporting him out, for instance. Trust me, you don't have the points.

Noone suggest using transformation. I mean that.

Hrm. If we assume 24 BODY is enough (and that obliterates a man sized chunk of almost anything)...

King:

*240 Destructive Castling: 7d6 Ranged Killing Attack, Area Effect: One Hex, NND (Defense is Not Being _Partially_ Where He Teleports To), Does Body, 0 Endurance Cost, Always Affects Exact Location He Teleports TO (-1/2), Only Affects Man Sized Area (-1/4)

**96 Safe Castling: 40" Teleport, Usable as Attack, Area Effect: One Hex, 0 Endurance Cost, 1 Fixed Location (His Previous Location), Only to Teleport them to the Fixed Location (-1) (Defense is Not Being Where He Teleports To), Linked to Destructive Castling

**67 40" Teleport, 1/2 Endurance Cost, Linked to Destructive Castling (5)

**77 20d6 Dispel vs Any One Inherently Harmful Matter/Energy Power, Area Effect: One Hex, 0 Endurance Cost, Linked to Destructive Castling, Only Affects a Man Sized Area (-1/4)

====

Wowza. :)