"How to" Transform Question.

waiwode

Transforming a scroll or a book into a collection of un-understandable gibberish.

1d6 (not much body in a scroll) Cosmetic Transformation? (buying back time, ading a release trigger, etc).

If you bought it with "Invisible to Detect Magic" then would look it have high Deduction characters tearing there hair out? How hard should it be to figure out that it doesn't mean anything?

Or is there a better way to do this?

Doug.

Re: "How to" Transform Question.

Transforming a scroll or a book into a collection of un-understandable gibberish.

1d6 (not much body in a scroll) Cosmetic Transformation? (buying back time, ading a release trigger, etc).

If you bought it with "Invisible to Detect Magic" then would look it have high Deduction characters tearing there hair out? How hard should it be to figure out that it doesn't mean anything?

Doug.

There is a spell in either FH, FHG or FHG2 that does this. I looked for a bit, but couldn't find it. I'm thinking its in one of the grimoires. I'll keep looking, but if memory serves...its a cosmetic transform.

There is a spell in either FH' date=' FHG or FHG2 that does this. I looked for a bit, but couldn't find it. I'm thinking its in one of the grimoires. I'll keep looking, but if memory serves...its a cosmetic transform.[/quote']

Found it: FHG Pg 221 - Boadlane's Spell of the Secret Script

It uses Cryptography and a Cosmetic Transform. Cryptography to encode and Cosmetic Transform to change the page.

Now, whether you need IPE is up to the GM. Personally, I think its a magic scroll; it SHOULD have a magic aura.

If it is a cosmetic transformation associated with cryptography skill, can it still be broken by someone with a sufficient cryptography skill?

If so, could one use a minor transform instead, to justify having it be in a truly indecipherable code/absolute gibberish?

If it is a cosmetic transformation associated with cryptography skill, can it still be broken by someone with a sufficient cryptography skill?

If so, could one use a minor transform instead, to justify having it be in a truly indecipherable code/absolute gibberish?

In theory. How many story lines have involved a character attempting to read a spellbook that they found lying around? The deciphering is also going to be a Skill vs SKill roll. The higher the Crypto, the more "unreadable" it becomes.

It would come down to a GMs call, but I suppose could CT it into a picture of fluffy bunnies.

"Apprentice! Get me the scroll of Bismol's Bowel Loosener!"

"Which one is it, oh prestidigious master?"

"The one with the fluffy white bunnies."

Keep in mind, Hero doesn't do absolutes. You can't be Bulletproof. You can't be Invulnerable to Fire.

Another possibility is simply use images. In this case a sufficiently smart person could puzzle it out. At the other end of the scale a simple cosmetic transform - without a cryptography roll - would be sufficient to make it completely unreadable - athough you still need some way to turn the transform off (Tolkien's moon-writing in The Hobbit is an example of one method, although that would only qualify as "obvious" if your average wizard knew about such things)

cheers, Mark

Doug.

A Cosmetic Transform would only hide the nature of the text but a Minor Transform would turn the text into gibberish.

As for a release trigger, you can define a Transform's healing method as "All or Nothing" (such as a command word) so it does not have to change back over time.

. :rockon: