Eberron Hero

AlHazred

I know many on the Hero boards don't like d20. I usually find a lot of Wizards of the Coast's products bland and of little value for conversion. However, I have to make an exception for their Eberron Campaign Setting. This book sets up a new setting that WotC will be releasing products for. It was the final result of a nationwide contest they had to find a new setting; out of the 10,000 entries the contest generated, this is the one they picked. And it's good.

The setting has a similar background to the Earthdawn setting that FASA published several years ago: a huge, cataclysmic war has just ended, and the characters are amongst the survivors trying to live (mostly) normal lives afterward. Keith Baker (the author) noted the similarity between this setup and the situation after World War II; so, Eberron borrows plots and plot elements heavily from film noir. The last influence was pulp-style action, a la Indiana Jones.

The final result is a setting ripe for conversion to Hero. It actually deals maturely and intelligently with magic and sentient non-humans, something which few other settings do (one notable exception being Hero's Turakian Age, which I'm also a big fan of).

So, I thought I'd throw out a few bits that I've already converted, sort of to get people's impressions and get the ball rolling. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's thought of ripping this stuff off.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Race: Changeling

To start off, there are four new PC races that I find pretty creative and decently balanced, especially considering this is d20 and easier to misjudge.

Please Note: I'll be posting these with highly abbreviated background text, since I don't want to infringe on copyright.

Changeling

Changelings are the distant descendents of humans and masquers.

Changeling Package Deal

Abilities

Cost Ability

6 Naturally Deceptive: +2 with Oratory, Persuasion, and Analyze Motive

3 Natural Linguist: Linguist

3 Slippery Mind: Mental Defense (EGO+3 points)

16 Minor Shapechange: Shape Shift (Sight and Touch Groups, any humanoid form), Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4); Can Only Duplicate Flesh, Not Worn/Carried Items (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only To Activate, -1/4)

7 Minor Shapechange: Imitation for Shape Shift, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Can Only Duplicate Flesh, Not Worn/Carried Items (-1/2), Requires A Disguise Skill Roll (-1/2)

Total Cost of Package Abilities: 35

Disadvantages

Value Disadvantage

-15 Social Limitation: Mistrusted By Most Other Races (Very Frequently, Minor)

Total Value of Package Disadvantages: 15

Changeling.hdp

Race: Kalashtar

Kalashtar

Kalashtars are a race descended from humans who bonded/merged with extradimensional travelers from the Realm of Dreams.

Note that Kalashtar have a Psionic Pool: if the character develops Psionic powers, he/she should be allowed an Endurance Reserve 10 points higher than normal. Also, note that this writeup assumes some sort of "Rank" system, similar to d20 "Levels". If this is not in use (as in my game), just leave it at a value of 1 Hour.

Kalashtar Package Deal

Abilities

Cost Ability

1 +2 COM

4 Dual Spirits: +2 DECV

6 Socially Adept: +2 with High Society, Persuasion, and Streetwise

10 Dreamshield: Mental Defense (EGO/5 + 30 points); Only Versus Dream Powers/Effects (-2)

2 Psionic Power: Endurance Reserve (10 END, 1 REC); REC: Extra Time (1 Hour; -3)

8 Mindlink: Mind Link, Any Willing Target; Normal Range (-1/4), Limited Range (5"; -1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 5 Minutes per Rank (-1/4)

Total Cost of Package Abilities: 31

Disadvantages

Value Disadvantage

10 Hunted: the Quori 8- (As Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Capture/Kill)

Total Value of Package Disadvantages: 10

Kalashtar.hdp

Race: Shifter

Shifter

Shifters are a race descended from humans who interbred with lycanthropes.

Shifters are so-called because of their ability to shift. To accurately reflect the duration of this ability, the GM should subtract 10 from the shifter’s CON and divide any result by 2. Add 3 to this number, and that is the number of Phases a shifter may remain shifted and gain the benefits. This number increases by 1 for every Option the shifter takes. In addition, for every two Options the shifter takes, the number of Continuing Charges should be bought up by 1. Or, as I would in my game, you can just go with some default value, say 2 Turns to start, and adding 1 Turn per Option. The advantage/limitation values reflect a reasonable upper limit of 5 Minutes.

Note that wildhunt shifters’ Survival skill bonus is effective even when they are not shifted. This is due to the lingering effects of their enhanced sense of smell.

Shifter Package Deal

Abilities

Cost Ability

6 +2 DEX

6 Animalistic Heritage: +2 with Acrobatics, Breakfall, and Climbing

6 Shifter Trait: Choose One:

1) Beasthide: +2 CON; 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1) plus +4 PD; 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1), Linked (CON; -1/2) plus +2 ED; 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1), Linked (CON; -1/2) plus Damage Resistance (2 PD/2 ED); 1 Continuing Charge lasting (-1), Linked (CON; -1/2)

2) Longteeth: +2 STR; 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1) plus HKA 1/2d6, Lingering (see text; +3/4); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1 1/4), No STR Bonus (-1/2), Linked (STR; -1/4), Cannot Be Used With Sweep (-1/4)

3) Cliffwalk: +2 DEX; 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1) plus Clinging (+10 STR); 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1), Requires A Climbing Skill Roll (-1/2), Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4), Cannot Cling To Ceilings Or Surfaces Of More Than 120 Degree Angle (-1/4), Linked (DEX; -1/4), Limited To 2/3 Running Speed (-1/2)

4) Razorclaw: +2 STR; 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1) plus HKA 1/2d6 (1d6 w/STR), Lingering (see text; +3/4); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1 1/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Reduced Penetration (-1/4), Linked (STR; -1/4)

5) Longstride: +2 DEX; 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1) plus Running +3”; 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1), Linked (DEX; -1/2) plus Leaping +1”; 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1), Linked (DEX; -1/2)

6) Wildhunt: +2 CON; 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1) plus Tracking with Normal Smell; 1 Continuing Charge (see text; -1), Linked (CON; -1/4) plus +1 with Survival

Total Cost of Package Abilities: 18

Disadvantages

Value Disadvantage

-2 -2 INT

-10 Psychological Limitation: Bestial Nature (-2 to Interaction Skill rolls, unless the shifter can temporarily repress his reactions) (Common, Moderate)

Total Value of Package Disadvantages: 6

Options

Cost Ability

+3 Beasthide Elite: Increase Armor to 5 PD/5 ED. Only available to shifters with the beasthide Trait.

+1 Cliffwalk Elite: Remove Limited To 2/3 Running Speed from Clinging power. Only available to shifters with the cliffwalk Trait.

+6 Extra Shifter Trait: Choose another Trait from the table. Only available to shifters with at least 2 other Options.

+3 Great Bite: Increase Longtooth HKA to 1d6. Only available to shifters with the longtooth Trait.

+3 Great Rend: Increase Razorclaw HKA to 1d6. Only available to shifters with the razorclaw Trait.

+10 Healing Factor: Add Simplified Healing 2d6, Trigger (when shifting ends; +1/4); Requires A CON Roll (-1), Self Only (-1/2)

+3 Longstride Elite: Increase Running to +5” and Leaping to +3”. Only available to shifters with the longstride Trait.

+4 Shifter Defense: Add Armor (2 PD); Does Not Work Against Silver-Based Attacks (-1/2) plus Armor (2 ED); Does Not Work Against Fire Attacks (-1/2). Only available to shifters with at least 2 other Options.

+4 Greater Shifter Defense: Increase to Armor (4 PD); Does Not Work Against Silver-Based Attacks (-1/2) plus Armor (4 ED); Does Not Work Against Fire Attacks (-1/2). Only available to shifters with shifter defense and at least 3 other Options.

+9 Shifter Ferocity: Add Aid STUN 2d6, Trigger (when character suffers enough STUN damage to be Stunned; +1/4); Only To Prevent Character From Being Stunned (-1/4), Requires An EGO Roll (-1), Self Only (-1/2)

+5 Shifter Multiattack: Add Rapid Attack. Only available to shifters with the longtooth or razorclaw Trait.

Shifter.hdp

Race: Warforged

Warforged

The warforged are a race of automatons created for the Last War, that were imbued with sentience and free will by their creators. WIth the end of the Last War, the warforged now have to find a new purpose in existence.

Note that the Composite Plating power of warforged has the Mass limitation. This means that even a warforged who carries nothing is effectively carrying a Encumbrance of 5 kg. Those who take one of the Options that grant increased Armor carry even more; those with the adamantine body Option carry 40 kg, while those with the mithril body Option carry 7 kg.

Warforged Package Deal

Abilities

Cost Ability

4 +2 CON

36 Construct Body: Life Support (Diminished Eating: does not eat; Diminished Sleep: does not sleep; Immunity: all terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: all terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Self-Contained Breathing)

15 Construct Body: Does Not Bleed

3 Composite Plating: Armor (2 PD/2 ED), Hardened (+1/4); Normal Mass (-1), Visible (-1/4)

3 Metal Fists: HA +1d6; Hand-to-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Total Cost of Package Abilities: 61

Disadvantages

Value Disadvantage

-4 -2 EGO

-20 Physical Limitation: Warforged Body (doesn't heal BODY naturally, curing spells have half efect, and cannot wear armor) (Frequently, Fully Impairing)

-10 Psychological Limitation: Difficulty In Relating To Other Creatures (-2 to Interaction Skill rolls) (Common, Moderate)

Total Value of Package Disadvantages: 34

Options

Cost Ability

+13 Adamantine Body: Increase Armor to 8 PD/8 ED, Hardened (+1/4); Normal Mass (-1), Visible (-1/4) plus Armor (1 PD/1 ED), Hardened (+1/4); Does Not Work Against Adamantine-Based Attacks (-1/4).

+20 Improved Damage Reduction: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%, Hardened (+1/4); BODY Only (-1/2), Does Not Work Against Adamantine-Based Attacks (-1/4), Visible (-1/4) plus Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%, Hardened (+1/4); BODY Only (-1/2), Visible (-1/4).

+10 Improved Fortification: Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Normal Defenses plus Lack of Weakness (-5) for Resistant Defenses.

+7 Mithril Body: Increase Armor to 5 PD/5 ED, Hardened (+1/4); Half Mass (-1/2), Visible (-1/4) and change Composite Plating power Armor to Half Mass. A warforged cannot take this in addition to adamantine body.

+3 Mithril Fluidity: Penalty Skill Levels: +1 vs. mithril body penalties to DCV with All Attacks. This may only be taken by warforged with the mithril body Option, but may be taken multiple times.

Warforged.hdp

Re: Eberron Hero

My goal is to make the conversions as tight to the intent as possible while still being completely playable in Hero. Some things don't work the same way: critical hits for example. So, some of the conversions will look a little strange.

Although I wasn't expecting it, I liked the fact that all of the Package Deals came out to between 23 and 61 points, well within reach for 150 point characters.

My next experiment is the dragonmarks.

For those who plan on using the Hero Designer Prefab files, please note that the Options I list are included in there under the Equipment tab (mainly because I wanted to include them and was too lazy to make another tab). If I think of it later, I'll redo it to include an 'Options' tab. I think it's possible to do that.

Still working on the Dragonmarks. Some of them are actually too cheap, but there's no easy way around it. I'll come up with something.

This came out longer than I expected, and I apologize in advance. :)

Eberron uses the standard D&D magic system. Killer Shrike has already done the work on the regular spells and hosts them on his site, so I won't be doing those. However, Eberron adds an additional magic-using character class (the Artificer) and some spells that naturally come out of the considerations of the setting. I'll be converting those after I do the Dragonmarks.

Since it is supposed to be a D&D setting, a lot of the spells come out cheap to start with and then rapidly become expensive. If you wanted to convert straight from the d20, you'd have Power Frameworks with Charges. If you wanted to be exact, you'd have these for each Level of spells.

I'll be honest, I am not interested in adhering to conversion that closely. If I was to run the game for d20 players who wanted that much slavish devotion to the system, I'd use d20. My aim with this is to make these excellent bits available to Hero gamers, since there's already some product out there and guaranteed to be more. If I was to run the game for my regular crew, I would probably use a magic system with an Endurance Reserve, and divide the cost of spells by 3. I would have all magic run off of the Endurance Reserve; that would serve to limit its use.

This would also allow me to tinker with the influence of alternate Planes; Eberron has 12 Planes that it interacts with (some on a regular basis, others sporadically). When certain planes become congruous with Eberron, magic spells become affected, and certain areas can Manifest that plane. One easy effect would be to increase or decrease the Mage's Pool depending on his magical specialty. Other effects would also follow (Aids and so forth - I have to get to those later).

Magic is used every day by the people of Eberron. There is a profession called Magewright. These people have minor magical ability, and form a class of "magical craftsmen." Some use only the barest minimum of magic to enhance their smithcraft (or whatever their specialty is) and turn out a higher number of mastercrafted items than they normally would. Others become more involved in magical enchantments, but their minor powers limit them to crafting only minor items, such as potions, scrolls, and the like.

The presence of the Dragonmarks means that there are significant numbers of people with reliable, innate magical powers. They use these to run their skyships, the Lightning Rail (a magical-powered train), provide magical healing or magically-created food at a price, etc. Really, this is one of the reasons I really like the setting, the thought the creator put into integrating magic into the economy.

Anyway, let me add the Dragonmarks and more will become clear.

AlHazred

Good work so far...

I am a long time HERO player as well as an Eberron enthusiast. If you are looking for another tool to use in your games... Please check out the site I work for...

http://www.kchronicle.com

This is a fan based gamming aid in the format of a newspaper. We took the prominent newspaper from the setting and have had great succcess and feedback.

Regards,

Walt

Ah, the Korranberg Chronicle! I'm very familiar with it, having lurked on the Eberron Message Boards for a while before picking up the supplement. Although the promotional materials looked good, I was slow to pick it up due to my experience with TSR products. But Eberron turned out to be really good and I hope your periodical will enjoy many years of popularity!

Don't just go by what I say; I'm being purposely cryptic and vague because I don't want to tread on any toes. I'd definitely recommend that anyone who finds anything I said at all intriguing should skim the Eberron book at their FLGS. Although it's not my favorite system, I'll probably be trying out the Eberron campaign, the Mark of Heroes, in the RPGA, just cause I like the setting so much.

As far as Birthright goes, I'm not that familiar with it. I've seen some of the material that's been posted online, back when I was downloading all of the free material WotC put out from the old TSR campaigns they were discontinuing. It looks like the politics and intrigue level in Birthright is definitely on par with Eberron. I really like some of the political stuff in Eberron that I've only seen in non-D&D games prior to now, like the goblin nation of Darguun (which has ambitions of reviving an old goblin empire) or the monster nation of Droaam (which is run by a trio of powerful hags). Previously, you'd only see this kind of stuff in a Hero or GURPS product, or as a selling point in another company's product.

Eberron is pretty cool. Since the only gamers I know are resistant to trying a new system, I may end up using D20 when we get the house.

I'm still not sure I like the Warforged. Particularly the fact that they focus on the Adamantine armored form, for the prestige class.

The character I made for a short play term is a 1/2 Ogre who specializes in ranged combat. Harpoon anyone?

Every player I know loves the warforged and the shifters. The disadvantages (half effect from Healing spells, built-in Encumbrance, heaviness, unfamiliarity with social conventions, prejudice due to previous slave status) have to be emphasized by the GM IMO; they're RP disadvantages for the most part, and therefore prone to be overlooked by some mechanics-intensive judges.

Yeah, the ref in that game is a little lax on actual world stuff...

Part of why I am working on my own.

Every player I know loves the warforged and the shifters. The disadvantages (half effect from Healing spells' date=' built-in Encumbrance, heaviness, unfamiliarity with social conventions, prejudice due to previous slave status) have to be emphasized by the GM IMO; they're RP disadvantages for the most part, and therefore prone to be overlooked by some mechanics-intensive judges.[/quote']