Eberron Hero

AlHazred

Dragon Marks

I was thinking, which is always a dangerous proposition, that instead of converting the spells so literally from the dragon marks that I would take a broader interpretation of them. For example, the house of Medani bares the Mark of Detection so why not build them with a Multipower with some Clairsentiences and Detects?

D&D spells are very specific which can be cool. I just think the dragon marks should have a broader range of abilities. Of course you would have to do some juggling to balance them so they do not become supers in your nice little fantasy campaign.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Eberron Hero

Oh, hey, I agree. I just wanted to make them as tight as possible to the original incarnation for people that really love the setting and want to simulate it with Hero (and incidentally convert any d20 fans they game with...) If I use the Dragonmarks, it will be with my own stamp. I'd most likely have a sequence of development for one core power, kind of like the gradual development of specific powers you see with superheroes. But that's really hard to do elegantly in D&D, so...

Ya know what bugs me about Eberron? It bears shocking similarity to a game I've ben running for 20-odd years and didn't think was up to the challenge presented by the Setting Search.

Look at the similarities: Construct PCs, Articifers, Steam Power, Dragon-centered mythology...many more exist...

I'm not saying, of course that Keith Baker ripped me off, but my material was on a public website for years. Makes me think I should have entered, but with my various Attention Disorders, I don't think I'd have stood up to the pressure of actually writing it all down.

Does make me kick myself at times... I have a sort of "Been there, done that..." kinda attitude toward the setting...

FWIW, I got a chance to talk to him at GenCon, and he freely talked about his influences. I've seen the same movies and read the same game supplements he talked about, and I think I see where he's coming from. I think lots of people went there over the years, but it's nice to see a nice guy and decent writer getting the backing to make something cool.

And Eberron does not have steam power. They have Fantasy Tech, sure, and trains and things that look like they should operate on steam, but they don't - there's the typical magically-beruned, stainless-mithril stuff driving the Fantasy Tech.

• 4 months later...

Artificer

Artificer

I am not going to touch magic because that would totally depend on how you were doing magic in your campaign. You could use Killer Shrike's excellent High Fantasy Hero for spells and just add an appropriate Focus Limitation.

I am not going to touch their ability to craft magic items either. I know this is the corner stone of their abilities but I doubt anyone would agree how to write it up. My personal preference would be to require them to take the Wealth Perk to simulate their ability to create and sell magic items and make them pay character points for any items they craft for themselves.

2 "...understand Magic on a different level from spellcasters...": KS: Magic 11-

2 "They have an amazing facility with magic items and constructs...": KS: Constructs and Magic Items 11-

3 Artificer Knowledge: Detect Magical Aura 14- (Unusual Group) (8 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2)

6 Disable Trap: (Total: 8 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) +2 PER with all Sense Groups (6 Active Points); Limited Power Only To Find Traps (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4) plus KS: Traps 11- (Real Cost: 2)

4 "Artificers are proficient with all simple weapons...": WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons

Total Cost: 17

Magewrights

Magewright

As with the Artificer, magic will depend on how you do it in your own campaign. I would again refer people to Killer Shrike's High Fantasy Hero. IIRC, he does not put any sort of spellbook Limitation on the spells so you would not need to change anything. I would simply limit the list of available spells for a Magewright character and allow them to spend fewer character points in magic.

1 Member of guild run by a dragonmarked house.

4 "Magewrights are proficient with all simple weapons...": WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons

Absentia

5 Absentia: Clairsentience (Sight, Smell/Taste, Touch And Hearing Groups), x2 Range (500") (55 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Hour which Never Recovers (-2 1/4), Independent (-2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2), OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used, A Quori Spirit can possess the user's body (-1)

One would do very well to pick up Races of Ebberon, as it further details the races in here and more. Very insightful--it helped me shape up the psycological behavior of my Warforged Eldeen Ranger. There's even a few things that would further expand the traits on 'Forged and Shifters.

All in all, I like. If you need hosting space, PM me. I own Biolante.net, after all.

• 1 month later...

Eberron Champions

I have toyed with the idea of running an Eberron Champions campaign where the PCs would be 'supers' but in the Eberron setting. Magical origins and all that. Specifically, I thought they would be Citidel Elite stationed in Sharn. I think Sharn makes a great fantasy Gothum.

I have also thought that I would make Warforge 'complete' automoton abilities (Does Not Bleed, Takes No Stun, No Hit Locations & Life Support: Total). I really think they should have all of those, but that is 100 points in a fantasy campaign. Not really practical...but in a Champions campaign it should work fine. The PCs will be battling the Lord of Blades and all of his minions. (insert evil laughter here)

Brick = Ogre, Troll, Warforged

Gadgeteer = Artificer

Mystic = Mystic (der!)

Metamorph = Shifter, Druid, Were-thing

Patriot = Paladin, Knight

Martial Artist = Monk

Weapon Master = Weapon Master (really, work with me here!)

The Lord of Blades is quite a mystery--there's some rumors that a Reforged (organic 'forged, prestige class) named Hammer might be his origin. But since this is your campaign, feel free to do as you like. I would suggest something like Xen'drik 'forged artifacts having to do with his rise of power. There's a lot of mystery behind them, and I believe there's one in particular in the campaign book that would be an excellent starting point... :eg:

The Lord of Blades is quite a mystery--there's some rumors that a Reforged (organic 'forged' date=' prestige class) named Hammer might be his origin. But since this is your campaign, feel free to do as you like. I would suggest something like Xen'drik 'forged artifacts having to do with his rise of power. There's a lot of mystery behind them, and I believe there's one in particular in the campaign book that would be an excellent starting point... :eg:[/quote']

In a recent Dragonshards on the WotC site, the idea that the Lord of Blades might be the original House Cannith artificer who concieved of the Warforged, either in a suit of armor, or who has somehow transferred his mind into a Warforged body. ;)

I'd be wary of having a fully automaton character. You drastically reduce your ability as GM to non-lethally threaten the characters. Eventually, it becomes a contest to see if you can challenge the automaton without making the threat so deadly it will instantly kill the PCs.

Or, at least, that's my experience.

[EDIT - That was a really crappy post 1000. I promise something better for post 1001.]

I think I would've done Improved Critical differently. Since I use Critical Hit rules in my games anyway I would have written it thusly:

+3 CSL(15) Only to improve critical hit ratio (-2) 5pts.

This means if the character has an 13 or less chance to hit, his Critical Hit chance is 6 or less. With Improved Critical, that would make his "to hit" a 16 or less for determining Critical, which changes the Critical Hit threshold to 7 or less.

I'm going to be playing the D20 version of Eberron soon and if I like it, I may join in converting it to Hero...

I'd be wary of having a fully automaton character. You drastically reduce your ability as GM to non-lethally threaten the characters. Eventually' date=' it becomes a contest to see if you can challenge the automaton without making the threat so deadly it will instantly kill the PCs.[/quote']

That is a good point. I may disallow Warforged PCs.

Remember Warforged arn't true Constructs, thier "Living Constructs" (AKA, poor mans golem), so Hit locations would be appropiate, He has wood so don't give him immunity to disease an poison (Sterotypical good guy "Holy Crepes heros, sombodies Salted the warforged again!"), Keep the Stun for "easily repariable injuries" and minor damage to the Livewood core. throw in some resistant Defence and a lot of extra Body an you have yourselves a 'forged.

Remember Warforged arn't true Constructs' date=' thier "Living Constructs" (AKA, poor mans golem), so Hit locations would be appropiate, He has wood so don't give him immunity to disease an poison (Sterotypical good guy "Holy Crepes heros, sombodies Salted the warforged again!"), Keep the Stun for "easily repariable injuries" and minor damage to the Livewood core. throw in some resistant Defence and a lot of extra Body an you have yourselves a 'forged.[/quote']

I thought the "Living Contructs" concept was a weak explanation to make the 'forged playable. I think they make more sense (merely a personal opinion) as more of a true construct. I plan on giving them complete Life Support, Does Not Bleed and No Hit Locations (although I would think they could still be blinded and deafened). I think I will not give them Takes No Stun nor Can Not Be Stunned. It would still fit genre (I think the Sentinels in X-Men can be stunned).

The "Living Construct" type wasn't just added to make warforged playable, although I'll admit it was one reason. The other reason has to do with the Eberron setting. Keith Baker wanted to make one of the themes, "What does it mean to be 'human'?" If the warforged were full automatons, there would be no question but that they were tools. However, it has been seen that warforged seem to have "souls" of some kind. Where did they come from? How does this affect their place in the universe? The giants seem to have had living constructs as well; is this an indication that something about Eberron is striving to become alive? What does it all mean?

The 'forged have souls?

Ah. I am fine with giving them souls and allowing them to be affected by abilities that affect the mind and soul, although for my campaign I may make them a different class of minds. Yet another reason I may not allow PC Warforged. Even in such a high powered campaign, they may just be too powerful but perfect as minions.

Edit: Ok, note this sounds jsut a little agressive so plase don't take it personally, I tend to very antagonistic when I'm trying to make a point.

I don't know, if your letting them be Stunned I think Hit Locations are highly appropiate, disallowing them makes as much sence in my oppinion as disallowing Critical Hits back in D20, Humans and constructs arn't much different in the long run anyway, cept the constructs are likely made out of less easily damaged materials.

To use Sentinels as an example they wouldn't have suffered much if cyclops had blasted one of thier feet rather then taking off the head (represented via the damage multipliers on the given Hit Locations).

• 1 month later...

Time for a bit of thread necromancy. ;)

How much do you think a Perk for 'Member of Dragonmarked House X' should be worth? I'm seriously considering some Eberron HERO as of late ...

The Artificer is looking remarkably problematic, though ... unlike D&D, experience points in HERO are significantly more powerful (You can get a skill with a typical 3XP in a HERO game, whereas a game's worth of XP in D&D just accumulates), and HERO doesn't have anything like the D&D 3.5's self-correcting XP system (where a lower-level character is awarded more XP so he catches up faster).

The artificer also has a Craft Reserve, which is essential a pool of XP that can only be spent on the XP required to craft magic items ... something else that's just unworkable in HERO.

I may just let artificers have 'magic gadget pools' and leave it at that (the powers must be focussed, only change in a lab or the like, etc.), especially since I'll probably not be using anything resembling Vancian magic.

Artificers

How much do you think a Perk for 'Member of Dragonmarked House X' should be worth?

I would use the Guild Member Table in Fantasy Hero on pg 101. Maybe add a point or two to the cost since the Dragonmarked Houses are extremely powerful in the Eberron world.

The artificer also has a Craft Reserve' date=' which is essential a pool of XP that can only be spent on the XP required to craft magic items ... something else that's just unworkable in HERO.[/quote']

I would not even consider going that route. I think the Craft Reserve is an awkward method even for D&D. I would consider using the alternate enchanted item creation rules in Fantasy Hero on pg 279, a VPP as you mentioned or maybe even allow them to buy Resource Points from Dark Champsions.

Re: Artificers

In the work I was doing on it before, I was going the route of the alternate enchanted item creation rules in Fantasy Hero page 279. I think it works remarkably well for Artificers; I was even considering some way for them to Transfer points from magic items to put into an Endurance Reserve that they would use to make the items, a Reserve which would have no Recovery of its own.