Eberron Hero

AlHazred

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Eberron Hero

I had an artificer brainstorm last night whilst flipping through FH.

It's probably broken as hell, but it seems to work with the artificer's ability to craft magic items easily.

Using the Alternate Item Crafting rules in FH, you basically make a spell with the same Active Cost as the Real Cost of the item you're crafting. So, f'rinstance, a 2d6 HKA, OAF Sword (a weightless greatsword), real cost 15. Then, to that 15 points, you apply Extra Time, and other limitations.

Of course, that only lets you craft that one item ... which means you'd need an Item Crafting VPP that you can use to make a variety of items, with Requires a Skill Roll and an appropriate skill for each type of item (PS: Weaponsmith, PS: Wandsmith, PS: Potion Brewer, etc.), which mimics the Artificer's requirement to make Use Magic Device checks in the D&D System.

The Alternate Crafting system uses Long Term Endurance to represent the draining effect of crafting magic items; you could build the Artificer's Craft Reserve as an END Reserve with a really slow return rate, put the 'variable END source' advantage on the VPP, and it seems like a close conversion.

You could even do a Dispel vs magic items linked to an Aid to the Craft Reserve to represent Retain Essence.

This would require some pretty close GM intervention to keep it from going overboard, but I think it might actually work. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

*casts Animate Thread*

Working on some more Eberron HERO stuff (trying to wedge in another gaming night in the week, thinking about taking my stuff for a test-drive), and I'm having a disconnect on how to do Artificer Infusions.

Infusions are kind of like spells, however you don't cast them on people; you imbue them upon objects, which can then act like temporary magic items. Example: A wizard can cast Bull's Strength directly on a person; the artificer must imbue an item the person is wearing with the Bull's Strength infusion, giving him (for example) a temporary Belt of Giant Strength. The belt can then be passed around (if time and situations permit), and whoever's wearing the belt at the time gets the benefit of the spell.

How do you make *this* work?

*casts Animate Thread*

Working on some more Eberron HERO stuff (trying to wedge in another gaming night in the week, thinking about taking my stuff for a test-drive), and I'm having a disconnect on how to do Artificer Infusions.

Infusions are kind of like spells, however you don't cast them on people; you imbue them upon objects, which can then act like temporary magic items. Example: A wizard can cast Bull's Strength directly on a person; the artificer must imbue an item the person is wearing with the Bull's Strength infusion, giving him (for example) a temporary Belt of Giant Strength. The belt can then be passed around (if time and situations permit), and whoever's wearing the belt at the time gets the benefit of the spell.

How do you make *this* work?

+15 STR, OAF, Independent would be a start.

The Fantasy HERO trope that to make a magic item anyone can use, you must expend your own Character Points and cannot get them back is in conflict with the concept of D&D enchanters in general.

+15 STR, OAF, Independent would be a start.

The Fantasy HERO trope that to make a magic item anyone can use, you must expend your own Character Points and cannot get them back is in conflict with the concept of D&D enchanters in general.

That works for a permanent item (there are alternate, not-XP-draining item creation rules in FH and the Grimoire that I'm using), but this is a temporary item.

The Streamlined version:

Artificer imbues (let's say) a pair of boots with Cat's Grace (Aid DEX), which lasts an hour.

For that hour, whomsoever wears the boots gains the DEX Aid.

After that hour, the spell wears off and the boots are normal, but the infusion can be easily recast. It doesn't cost the artificer any XPs (in either system).

It's that thing where the buffs have to be cast on items, rather than on the recipient, that's throwing me. Other than the transferability, it's not much different from just doing a direct Aid on another character.

Enchantment can be handled in similar manner as alchemist potions - intelligence used to determing how many items they can have operating at one time.

Or - you can treat the items as equipment and not pay character points for them. I once suggested that magical ingredients be given character points - and combining ingredients lets you use those points to buy a power/enchantment/potion.

I kinda see it roughly as a series of OAF Lingering Uncontrolable enchantments. Of course, this should be a limited VPP, where you drain magic from another magical item to power it. (Or have I been forgetting aspects of Ebberon? It's been a year since I read the book; if so, I'll look at it again.)

Independant, IMO, should be regulated to outside magical items.

I kinda see it roughly as a series of OAF Lingering Uncontrolable enchantments. Of course, this should be a limited VPP, where you drain magic from another magical item to power it. (Or have I been forgetting aspects of Ebberon? It's been a year since I read the book; if so, I'll look at it again.)

Independant, IMO, should be regulated to outside magical items.

The Retain Essence (magic drain to power another item) only really applies to Permanent Item Crafting, which is different. It could possibly be done with OIF 'items of opportunity', though ...

What you want is just Focuses. Focuses can be Personal or Universal. If anyone can use it, it's Universal. It's not Independent, because an Artificer gets his infusions back the next day. And the durations of the effects are rather short.

I would do it with Delayed Effect. I forget off the top of my head how long it takes an Artificer to prepare his spells every day, but split that up into a number of Extra Time limitations. Then he gets another Extra Time limitation on each spell to reflect how long it takes to cast when he wants to use it in the field. Then, also, most spells have a Universal Focus, or Usable By Other. Mix 'em all together and spice to taste.

• 8 months later...

Re: Race: Warforged

Is this how you are modelling the base fortification that all warforged's have or is there another mechanic to combat crits?

Well, there's not a real 'crit' mechanic in HERO, other than a couple of suggestions in TUMA (as far as I know). I generally consider that a 'critical hit' means you got it in a x4 or x5 hit location. Given the way Warforged operate, I've been considering allowing some GM fiat on using some Automaton powers for them without requiring them to be Automata (like No Hit Locations).