Jane's Superhumans

tinman

Re: Jane's Superhumans

Okay,

Merry Christmas Trebuchet.

Finding myself somewhat frazzled after the holidays, I worked on this today (this sort of stuff is a release for me, kind of a mental holiday thing). Based on the descriptions of the characters I have come up with the following images. I do not think that they will "fit the bill" for your PCs, but I am hoping that they come at least somewhat close for the purposes of illustration. I will be using them myself for characters of my own design in any case.

http://www.digitalindalo.com/rpg/Knight.gif

http://www.digitalindalo.com/rpg/Vess2.gif

http://www.digitalindalo.com/rpg/Sill2.gif

I also retouched the Zlf pic I did a while back, you mentioned she was somwhat more "grim" looking than the smiling image. The face did not turn out well IMHO, but you might like it better in any case, I am certainly not the only (or even best) judge as it is your character.

http://www.digitalindalo.com/rpg/Zlf-3.gif

And finally, the Blackstone Metahuman Files (I avoided "Guide to..." because there is a "Blackstone's Guide to..." series already out there. The name Blackstone's itself should not cause too many problems even though there are numerous examples of it in the marketplace (as well as evey other name under the sun), but I would not want to use it in a specific phrase that has already been "taken")

http://www.digitalindalo.com/rpg/midgaurd2c.pdf

I am not overly happy with the way the images turned out, but the print-quality file is almost 4meg and the press quality (which I use for my magazine) is obscene (in size f course, the content is the same). Once I get done, I will make the print quality available to you by email Trebuchet. I posted the above gifs so that people can see the images as they should have been.

Just to let folks here know, I will be starting a thread with the name "Blackstone's Metahuman File" sometime soon as the bulk of this thread has a lot of other stuff not really about this project.

Finding myself somewhat frazzled after the holidays, I worked on this today (this sort of stuff is a release for me, kind of a mental holiday thing). Based on the descriptions of the characters I have come up with the following images. I do not think that they will "fit the bill" for your PCs, but I am hoping that they come at least somewhat close for the purposes of illustration. I will be using them myself for characters of my own design in any case.

(snip)

Terrific work, Publius.

Okay, so just how do you pronounce "ZL'F"? Oh, and you're not allowed to respond "Just like it's spelled." :tsk::)

Is it Zilf?

Zlif?

Zull (pause) ph?

Zul ph?

Zull ef?

Zul ef?

Zee el f?

To the best of my knowledge (since I haven't been able to actually verify this with a native Russian speaker), it's simply pronounced Zlf. The "L" is soft, and with no vowel sounds at all. The apostrophe represents a Russian "letter" which renders the preceding consonant "soft," hence in Cyrillic the word is rendered with four letters. The similarity to the word "sylph" is obvious.

I usually just pronounce it Sylph unless I'm feeling particularly pedantic. :)

Here's the picture of Silhouette I've been using. It's from Hero Machine 2.0.
Oops. When the description said she doesn't wear a costume I meant that meant street clothes rather than ala mode (sort of). Is this closer then? I didn't know if you were deliberately going for the whole "faceless" look or not so I left a face in. The pic is actually a significantly modified version of the character "Steamer" I did for a player (which has been modifed and renamed, but I cannot remember the new name at the moment) based on one of the standard templates (now modified well beyond that on the one side). The face is essentiually the same as that character with color change and different hair. If you liked the last face for the character I can always exchange them (vector graphics are nice that way)

(Note: eventually, this will be deleted to conserve space)

The other face... actually it turned out interesting, I think it gives a whole different look to the character. I like the other face betterm this is just different. I might want to change the size a bit, but again that changes the face and thus the poic significantly. I dunno, I'm just playing around here.

I think Blackjack is going for the "faceless" look. I do know her eyes are all white with no pupils or irises, and they glow. Hero Machine 2 does faces, so if he left facial features off it was deliberate.

This particular mouth might work well on your most pic of Zl'f. I think the reason you weren't quite happy with the previous mouth is it was a bit too large. Nothing really wrong with it, just not quite right. I want Zl'f to look serious, but certainly not mean or angry.

Okay, here you go with Sillhouette, glowing eyes and all (I experimented with making the glow stronger and had mixed results). I'll eliminate that last image of the character but leave the first one for now for comparison.

re: Zlf, as long as it is the look you are going for, cool.

BTW, I didn't mention it before, but I am aware that I left most of the DOB's and such on the last pdf either wrong or undone. I will change it or make it "unknown" for the final version.

Well, if you're letting anyone post character summaries, here's mine:

Agent Orange

True Identity: Michael William Trent

Classification: Powerful Ranged Combatant

Base of Operations: No fixed base, operates in United States

Group Affiliation: Federal Bureau of Investigations

Threat Level: 2

Offensive Rating: High

Defensife Rating: Moderate

Identifying Characteristics: Visual distortion similar to heat waves around body when using personal force field

Power Description: Trent posesses a set of powerful psychokinetic abilites: offensive powers include the ability to lift upwards of fifty tons and a focused blast capable of destroying reinforced concrete structures. He can protect himself with a personal force barrier which allows him to withstand .50 BMG fire with no apparent discomfort, and can project a force barrier capable of stopping small arms fire around himself or anywhere nearby. Trent can fly at approximately 140 kph, and can teleport over 25 km. He has also been observed to regenerate small injuries; the extent of his healing powers is currently unknown.

Physical Description: Adult Caucasian male, estimated height 180 cm. Typically wears black suit and sunglasses.

Tactical Assessment: Trent can, in theory, appear inside a building or fortified position with no warning, cause massive structural damage, and leave as quickly as he arrived, while ignoring small arms fire. In practice, he adheres to law enforcement tactics rather than military, and avoids mass destruction, preferring to contain/neutralize individuals. Trent has shown no special resistance to sensory disruption or chemical agents, indicating that these may be effective weapons against him.

Psychological Assessment: Trent is cynical and irritable, and has little patience for troublemakers. He is also slightly unstable: he occasionally loses his temper in combat, and is known to react violently to telepathic contact. There is some possibility that Trent may go rogue.

Legal Status: currently on disciplinary assignment within FBI

Now, I'm not at all sure what scale is being used for "Threat Level" and Offensive/Defensive Rating, so that's just my best guess.

The attached Heromachine image is a pretty good likeness, although he'd be wearing the suit's jacket if he were outdoors.

Zeropoint

Okay,

Merry Christmas Trebuchet.

http://www.digitalindalo.com/rpg/Knight.gif

http://www.digitalindalo.com/rpg/Vess2.gif

http://www.digitalindalo.com/rpg/Sill2.gif

I also retouched the Zlf pic I did a while back, you mentioned she was somwhat more "grim" looking than the smiling image. The face did not turn out well IMHO, but you might like it better in any case, I am certainly not the only (or even best) judge as it is your character.

http://www.digitalindalo.com/rpg/Zlf-3.gif

And finally, the Blackstone Metahuman Files (I avoided "Guide to..." because there is a "Blackstone's Guide to..." series already out there. The name Blackstone's itself should not cause too many problems even though there are numerous examples of it in the marketplace (as well as evey other name under the sun), but I would not want to use it in a specific phrase that has already been "taken")

I am not overly happy with the way the images turned out, but the print-quality file is almost 4meg and the press quality (which I use for my magazine) is obscene (in size f course, the content is the same). Once I get done, I will make the print quality available to you by email Trebuchet. I posted the above gifs so that people can see the images as they should have been.

Just to let folks here know, I will be starting a thread with the name "Blackstone's Metahuman File" sometime soon as the bulk of this thread has a lot of other stuff not really about this project.

Publius, great job with Cyberknight as far as I'm concerned. And as I play the PC, that's pretty OK. :cheers:

Now' date=' I'm not at all sure what scale is being used for "Threat Level" and Offensive/Defensive Rating, so that's just my best guess.[/quote']For threat level I came up with the following scale, based on what level of response is necessary by the authorities:

Level 1: SWAT Team

Level 2: Special Operations/Agents (UNTIL, Delta Force, etc.)

Level 3: Full Military Response (Tanks, bombs, etc.)

Level 4: Metahumans ("Call the Justice League!")

I adapted this scale from an idea of tinman's. I purposely kept it vague to prevent the incessant "Cap is tougher than Batman" arguments. On this scale, they're both Level 2.

Offense/Defense levels would in most cases be based on the averages within a particular campaign. In our campaign the average metahuman attack is 12d6. Zl'f does 8-10d6, whereas Silhouette does 14-16d6. Hence Zl'f is Low, but Silhouette is High.

Publius' date=' great job with Cyberknight as far as I'm concerned. And as I play the PC, that's pretty OK. :cheers:[/quote']I was especially proud of that one myself. In fact I may end up using that pic (or a modified version) for a character of my own if one of my players goes through with switching GMing with me for a little while. I'm not sure though, after having been a GM so long I honestly have little or no idea what I want to do for a character concept.

BTW, I will be gone until after New Years, when I come back I will be starting that new thread and updating the pdf for your group. Maybe a few other characters as well (another person sent me something a while ago about helping out with their group, then I may take on a few other folks), and maybe even "Shock!" some of my own PCs/NPCs.

Well' date=' if you're letting anyone post character summaries, here's mine:[/quote']Actually, I was just triple checking the format and such, since I had done the image already for Zl'f, I went with Trebuchet's Midguard. One other individual mentioned to me by PM that he was interested, so I will attempt to accomodate them as well, but I have to figure out the best format for this first before I start taking any requests.

Nevertheless, fortune favors the bold.

(You may want to download that before I get back to my home computer around the first of the year cuz I am butting up against my ceiling for attachments)

Edit: DO'H! I left the picture caption darnnit! I'll have to fix that later...

I was especially proud of that one myself. In fact I may end up using that pic (or a modified version) for a character of my own if one of my players goes through with switching GMing with me for a little while. I'm not sure though, after having been a GM so long I honestly have little or no idea what I want to do for a character concept.

BTW, I will be gone until after New Years, when I come back I will be starting that new thread and updating the pdf for your group. Maybe a few other characters as well (another person sent me something a while ago about helping out with their group, then I may take on a few other folks), and maybe even "Shock!" some of my own PCs/NPCs.

Good luck. Happy New Year. Somehow I get the feeling you will manage to put together a really top flight PC or three. :)

To the best of my knowledge (since I haven't been able to actually verify this with a native Russian speaker)' date=' it's simply pronounced [i']Zlf[/i]. The "L" is soft, and with no vowel sounds at all. The apostrophe represents a Russian "letter" which renders the preceding consonant "soft," hence in Cyrillic the word is rendered with four letters. The similarity to the word "sylph" is obvious.

I usually just pronounce it Sylph unless I'm feeling particularly pedantic. :)

Cool beans! :thumbup: Thanks for that. Now seeing its origin, I can at least have a better understanding.

It's been over ten years since I took my three years of Russian, but during that time we didn't come across any words without vowels, that I recall (then again, it was high school Russian Language, not Defense Language Institute Russian Language). My closest guess then would be that it would be pronounced Zilf, using the soft "I", with minimal emphasis on the vowel, but that's just my guess. Bascially pronouncing "slyph" with a "Z" and a heavy Russian accent. ;)

Cool beans! :thumbup: Thanks for that. Now seeing its origin, I can at least have a better understanding.

It's been over ten years since I took my three years of Russian, but during that time we didn't come across any words without vowels, that I recall (then again, it was high school Russian Language, not Defense Language Institute Russian Language). My closest guess then would be that it would be pronounced Zilf, using the soft "I", with minimal emphasis on the vowel, but that's just my guess. Bascially pronouncing "slyph" with a "Z" and a heavy Russian accent. ;)

Thanks for the input. Yeah, Zilf seems like a pretty good approximation for the slavicly-challenged. Someday I'll track down a Russian and show him the name in Cyrillic (I have a Russian-English Dictionary, and carefully copied the script.)

I reread most of this thread last night, and thought to myself "This is a great thread." I think I'd better give tinman rep for the whole thing just for starting it. If you've enjoyed this thread as much as I have, stop by Post #1 and give tinman some rep. We can always use imaginative new guys here. :)

Actually, I was just triple checking the format and such, since I had done the image already for Zl'f, I went with Trebuchet's Midguard. One other individual mentioned to me by PM that he was interested, so I will attempt to accomodate them as well, but I have to figure out the best format for this first before I start taking any requests.

Nevertheless, fortune favors the bold.

(You may want to download that before I get back to my home computer around the first of the year cuz I am butting up against my ceiling for attachments)

Wow, thanks! That's pretty cool, and the minor changes you made to the description match the character exactly. Very perceptive of you (or predictable of me?).

I would also like to apologize for my unintentional presumption--I saw posts with character descriptions from several people, and came to the conclusion that this was, at least in part, a thread for people to show what they thought their character's entry would look like. I didn't realize that posting that would be received as a request for the .pdf treatment.

Having said that, I've taken your advice and downloaded the .pdf file.

Thanks again!

Zeropoint