WWYCD:The Facts of Life

nexus

This is a scenario that my Bay City players are actually going threw at the moment.

Your team encountered a powerful youg mutant. He appears to be about 12 years old and is gifted with extensive psionic powers. His being hunted by msyterious and seemingly alien creatures that seem utterly determined to capture him. With the help of your team, you manage to fend them off and the boy stays with the team for awhile, as he is powerful and seems to have amnesia. Over that time, you learn he's highly intelligent, bright and generally pleasant but has little knowledge of human culture. Medical examination will determine the "boy" isn't even human at all. He become a sort of sidekick over the weeks of his stay.

The alien attack again and during the battle establish telepathic contact. The "boy" is actually a larval stage male of their hive minded species. Males are used as scouts or more living probes during this stage then returned to the hive where they absorbed into group mind once more, effectively ceasing to exist as individuals and sharing their experience with the hole. Every few generations there is an anomaly and a probe male develops a fully independant mind. This "boy" is one of those mutants. And its time for him to go back..

Re: WWYCD:The Facts of Life

Husky will simply ask the boy if he wants to return to his people. And act on those wishes.

Kenneth will synthesize a psychic version of a computer virus that will erase all knowledge and/or references to Earth and the Solar system from the hive mind right after they are encountered. Now if the aliens forcibly contact the child they will forget about him and Earth and upon returning the entire race will have Earth eliminated from their memory.

Menagerie: This is a bit more four color than her world typically gets.

Pinnacle: Would definitely try to protect the "child" from his fate, being a repressed maternal instinct kind of girl. She also respects the rights of the individual and would see the group mind as rather creepy from the get go.

Stopwatch: Would like feel much the same way as Pinnacle, but would be more likely to back down or run from a show of force.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Estatua: "What you are does not define who you are. The child is free to make his own decision... step aside."

Rook: "Letting him go back to you would be corruption of our ideals. And if there is one thing I cannot allow, it is that. Leave him be. Now."

Magician (iirc, that's his codename): "Hmm. I wonder if I can rig up a fake "child" for them to absorb instead of him...."

Silyione: "Why would anyone able otherwise _wish_ to be apart and distinct from their people? I do not understand" (listens to kid) "Mental Unity is a wonder beyond any I have seen, even back here. Why do you avoid it?"

She wouldn't _force_ him, mind. It's just that, as a 'lost' part of the Terran Collective... she would like nothing more than to return to HER 'Hive Mind'.

Flippant: Carefully stow the kid in a dimension where his race _doesn't_ exist, then point out that they won't get him back anyway, might as well let him be free... (leverage is good. :))

This is a scenario that my Bay City players are actually going threw at the moment.

Your team encountered a powerful youg mutant. He appears to be about 12 years old and is gifted with extensive psionic powers. His being hunted by msyterious and seemingly alien creatures that seem utterly determined to capture him. With the help of your team, you manage to fend them off and the boy stays with the team for awhile, as he is powerful and seems to have amnesia. Over that time, you learn he's highly intelligent, bright and generally pleasant but has little knowledge of human culture. Medical examination will determine the "boy" isn't even human at all. He become a sort of sidekick over the weeks of his stay.

The alien attack again and during the battle establish telepathic contact. The "boy" is actually a larval stage male of their hive minded species. Males are used as scouts or more living probes during this stage then returned to the hive where they absorbed into group mind once more, effectively ceasing to exist as individuals and sharing their experience with the hole. Every few generations there is an anomaly and a probe male develops a fully independant mind. This "boy" is one of those mutants. And its time for him to go back..

Style - Speaking to the boy: "What do you want to do? No matter what you choose, you will have my support." As Style can offer some fairly effective support (from interdimensional journeys to complete transformations), that should mean something.

Flesh Gordon - "Great galaxies Psidekick Timmy! The females of your species wish to absorb you utterly, draining you of your vital essence! You rascal!" After someone explains to Flesh that Psidekick Timmy does not want this to happen, and that it would not be a good thing, Flesh will try to protect the boy.

Legend - Will have a long, quiet talk with the boy, both about what he has to gain by remaining an individual and what he has to lose. After he is sure that the boy has made up his own mind, he will try his best to support that decision, even if it means facing armies.

Bandit would try to work his charms on the sexy but distant Blair, hoping to break through her icy exterior.

Danny would likely strike up a conversation with the brainy Natalie, not out of hopes of dating an older woman, but because he would find her to be the most interesting.

Captain Coca-Cola would likely be drawn to no-nonsense tomboy Joe.

An older (reunion-aged) Tootie would probably be quite attractive to Barnstormer, who would make slow overtures toward her.

Wait, did you mean some different Facts of Life?

This is a sticky case for Agent Trent. Normally, he would be against anyone being assimilated against their will. If it can be established that the boy is an American citizen (having been born/hatched/decanted/whatever in the U.S.), his duty is clear. If not, it will basically come down to who has legal custody of the child. His strong dislike of telepaths will likely counter the instinctive urge to protect children.

Of course, if the government weighs in on the issue, he'll follow orders.

Zeropoint

Warp: "Nope, can't have him. Now get off my planet."

Spectrum: "Just talked to the President and he's agreed to grant political asylum to the boy. Now as trespassers on American soil I suggest you depart. Immediately!"

Mystic: "Sorry, but the boy has chosen his own destiny. And I warn you, should you be tempted take him back and absorb him against his will, I have placed a curse on him that will be inflicted on anyone who attempts to devour his mind or soul. Trust me, you would not wish to suffer it."