Re: Is this a legal use of Teleport + normal movement?

Hyper-Man

Question

Hi Steve,

The example I gave in the previous post dealt primarily with a combat example but there was also a non-combat power question hidden in there too. :sneaky:

Would having the Position Shift and/or No Relative Velocity adders as part of the Teleport allow the direction but not velocity of the original Leap to be changed (allowing up to 180 degree turns with otherwise normal movement including non-combat) as well as In Effect make the Movethrough attack Indirect by attacking the target from a different direction than that of the original Leap within the limits of the Teleportation's range?

Example 1:

Say the example character
UltraDude
is Flying at the non-combat speed of 500" which just happens to be the minimum defined speed for
1 level of effect
of MegaScale (1" = 1 Kilometer).
UltraDude
suddenly decides that he wants to make a
drastic change
in his direction of Flight by 180 degrees. He turns off his Flight that phase (briefly going uncontrolled?) and instead activates his Teleport with the 2
adders
mentioned above with the sole intent of making a 180 degree turn while keeping his previously built up Flight velocity which he would immediately regain control of with his
powered
Flight on his next phase.

Additional Rules Questions:

1. Is this a valid application of all the mentioned powers and adders.
  2. Or does it require some type of grounding mechanism (see example below) to work this way?

Example 2:

Say that
UltraDude
is now just a
passenger
in a
Blue Angel
jet travelling at the same speed of 500" from
Example 1
(assuming
UltraDude
's
speed is 6, it works out to ~1125 miles per hour) and decides to
Teleport
from the passenger seat of the first
Blue Angel
jet to a passenger seat on
a
second
Blue Angel
jet traveling in the opposite direction
almost
directly at
the original jet at the same speed when both jets are
near
their closest points while crossing paths. According to the Teleport example in FRED,
UltraDude
should be able to accomplish this as long as the range of his Teleport is sufficient and he has the
Position Shift
and
No Relative Velocity
adders. Whether there would also be some type of targeting or skill roll required to safely land in the second jet is
secondary
with regard to the purpose of this example but assume that
UltraDude
also has the
Safe Blind Teleport
advantage as well.

Sorry if this seems like splitting hairs. :confused:

HM

1 answer to this question

Re: Is this a legal use of Teleport + normal movement?

I think those hairs are definitely being split. ;) As I mentioned in my previous answer, technically a character has to make a Half Move, stop, then make another Half Move using his Teleportation -- there's no "velocity" to "preserve" as in your first question. Therefore it's moot.

Your second hypothetical is a good example of the sort of thing I'd envision those Adders and Advantages being used for. They're not intended to trump the normal movement rules, but in effect to "cancel out" the penalties the character would otherwise suffer for Teleporting while moving, etc. The relative velocity and positioning rules are inherent restrictions on Teleporting (or, more accurately, things that make it more dangerous to use in some circumstances). The Adders and Advantages counteract those restrictions; they don't provide the additional benefit of changing the movement rules to allow a character to preserve his own innate velocity using another form of movement. Relative velocity comes into play primarily in situations when the character's not in control of his own movement -- he's falling, or in a vehicle -- not when he's moving under his own power and control.