Ion Cannons

Aroooo

Re: Ion Cannons

I'd do it as a Dispell vs. Electronics. Dispells tend to break Foci and since it seemed to take repairs to fix electronics fried by an Ion Cannon in SW it seems to fit.

If you're wanting just a temporary effect, I'd do either an all-or-nothing Drain or Supress (though the supress would also require Uncontrolled & whatnot).

I agree with NetZilla.

If the Dispel exceeded the active points of any electronic equipment, that equipment is fried (see Dispel vs Independant Foci on page 99 of FREd) and will no longer work until repaired or replaced.

It would look something like this:

Planetary Ion Cannon: Dispel 20D6 (60) expanded effect: Electronic sfx, all same time (+2) Armor Piercing(+1/2) Cumulative (+1/2) X2 Maximum(+1/4) Megascale (+1) 1000km/hex. Active Points: 315

--OIF(-1/2) Immobile(-1) Extremely difficult to obtain(-1) Independant(-2) Extra Time 1 Turn(-1 1/4) Extra Endurance X5(-2) Real Cost: 36(!) Endurance=157/shot Range 1,575,000km

This Ion Cannon represents that big white cannon used by the Rebels on Hoth in ESB to take out Imperial Star Destroyers.

The Expanded effects advantage is needed so that the blast affects all active electronic equipment at once. Armor Piercing represents a particularly well-focused blast which can sear through any electronic protection the enemy may have (i.e. halves Power Defense). Cumulative is needed so that multiple blasts have the ability to eventually take out any equipment. (normally, Dispel is not cumulative) the X2 Maximum advantage is an extension of Cumulative, and it allows the Ion cannon to destroy up to a maximum of 240 Active point equipment. Megascale is obvious, because it was targeting opponents in the equivalent of Lunar orbit without any trouble whatsoever.

As for the limitations, Focus is obvious...it is immobile, because it was a huge immovable structure. Etremely difficult to obtain, because I'm pretty sure the Rebels didn't have an extra one anywhere nearby, and you just can't get these from your local Huttese black market. Extra Time: 1 turn to represent the fact that it required a lot of power to operate and thus had to "charge" for several seconds before a blast could be generated. Extra Endurace obviously represents how much power is needed to operate them.

Pretty simple really.

One thing I want to know is how do Ion blasts interact with Sheilds? Should sheilds come with some Power Defense as well as ED and PD?

I agree with NetZilla.

...snip...

One thing I want to know is how do Ion blasts interact with Sheilds? Should sheilds come with some Power Defense as well as ED and PD?

Probably not since I remember the old West End Games writeups for Ion Cannons that stated that they effectively bypassed shields. This is one of the few MAJOR differences in technology between Star Wars and Star Trek (whose shields were originally designed to protect ships from random Ion Storms!?!)

HM

Thanks all. Personally I was thinking along the lines of an Entangle, takes no damage (less expensive than a big drain), but I'm not sure how I would work the 'break out' attempt. I don't think there is a built in option for gradual dissipation of an entangle. I'll probably go with a variant of NuSoardGraphite's version.

Aroooo

Could also be a suppress of the starship's END reserve (power plant)...

Entangle sounds good, though. Could possibly just include a time limit, rather than bothering with breakout...

Won't be too cheap, though. Entangle necessary to hold a Starship's STR will be pretty enormous.

Could also be a suppress of the starship's END reserve (power plant)...

Entangle sounds good, though. Could possibly just include a time limit, rather than bothering with breakout...

Won't be too cheap, though. Entangle necessary to hold a Starship's STR will be pretty enormous.

Yeah, it would be a big entangle. But a Drain/Suppress on the END reserves of a starship would also be big. Must ponder more when I'm not so tired (just finished wrapping Santa presents :) )

Aroooo