Hypothetical Question Regarding A Hypothetical Campaign

Agent 13

I can't seem to find the thread regarding Player vs GM Workload, so I thought I'd pose this question here. Would you consider playing in a PBeM game given the following requirements, or would you think it too much work as a player?

The characters are all legacy heroes - they're either the children of (Infinity Inc., Spidergirl), inspired by (Spirit of 76, Steel), or successor to (Black Panther, Union Jack, the Flash) another, older hero or heroine.

Not only would the player need to come up with their character, they would also need to come up a thumbnail description of their predecessor, and a small Rogues Gallery. And I had considered letting the characters help build the setting by having them describe the portion of town their character protects.

Re: Hypothetical Question Regarding A Hypothetical Campaign

Sounds cool to me. I think it's actually a very good idea' date=' seeing how it allows the players to have more of a say in the world they play in.[/quote']

Definatly seconded, both as a player and a GM. I'd do it myself in a heartbeat (and am seriously considering something similar in a Table Top game I GM)

Guest WhammeWhamme

This is a way cool idea.

However, to be honest, I probably wouldn't play in something like that, and neither would most PBeMers I've encountered. I mean, it sounds cool... but the amount of work you'd need to do would likely prevent it.

Just an opinion - please, prove me wrong. :)

Just an opinion - please' date=' prove me wrong.[/quote'] That'd be a good trick, if no one would play it.

But yeah, the lead time before actual game play started would be longer than most PBeMs, and I could see how that could put a lot of people off.

A lot of it depends on just how much detail you want in the 'background' characters (in this case, meaning 'any character who isn't the PC in question'). For example, a paragraph on each (the predecessor, each rogue in the gallery) is probably workable. A full character sheet for each might be a bit much.

Most of the players I've met don't 'add' to the game world much; they tend to be reactive, don't build things or try to alter the world's status quo. I would be game to try to be a part of the world-building, but not everybody is ... it's definitely an experiment I'd like to hear about, though.

I'm positive people would be interested, this is ALMOST the same as the game I joined in on Global Guardians and they had to turn some people away. However, the Rogues Gallery might be a bit of work, as well as having them stat out the parent figure. I'd suggest toning that down somewhat, but I still think, contrary to some, that people would do it. I'm in 3 games online/PBEM and that's definitely a limit so I couldn't.

What points would the previous hero need to be built on?
I wouldn't expect the player to stat the earlier hero; just give me a rundown of his history, powers, relationships, how they age, that sort of thing.

Besides, giving a set number to build the earlier generation hero on doesn't really fit how this sort of genre convention works - given the Infinity Inc. example, you've got a heck of a power range in their predecessors. I mean, I dig Wildcat and Dr. Mid-Nite, but there's no way they're built on the same points as the Golden Age Superman or Green Lantern.