Converting Vamps to Champs

Stallion

Originally posted by SleepyDrug

One of the things that bugs me about conversion is preserving the feel of some of the powers. HERO does change the dynamics of the powers a bit

Absolutely, Disciplines like Animalism and Dominate got "HEROised" into another form immediately. It's an apples and oranges situation, conversion doesn't let me make any "appenges" without violating the laws of nature. If it's a deal breaker with you, then my advice is to do what I did before I converted. Just take the elements of HERO you like and apply them to the WW system. For example, I used a Speed stat and a 1D10 system for my WW games before I just chucked it all and went to HERO. What I wanted from HERO, initially, was the combat system. As you might guess it was a pretty clunky experience mixing the two ways of doing things. You might have different stuff you want from either system (such as WW skills and Powers, but have Hero stats [why you'd want that I don't know]), and the rules will certainly be your own Frankenstein's monster. But, you are talking to the guy who played his own fantasy game for years using elements from Chaosium, DnD, and MERP! Thank the maker I found HERO.

I was just thinking this morning about the possibilty of translating my World of Darkness campaign to HERO 5e, I'm glad to see someone has already done some of the work I'd need to do.

My game started out as a Changeling game I ran diceless because I can't stand the Stroyteller system but love the setting. Then, I decided I wanted some dice rolling, so brought back the dice. Then I remembered why I hated the Storytellerr system so I made by own dice rolling rules but they have been in a state of flux since I started. I figure that par tof the problem I have with WW's system is that they have completely different stats for different characters. Vampires have Self Control as a stat. So do a few others. Fae do not. Some characters have Natures and Demeanors. Fae have Seelie and Unseelie legacies.

So, I was thinking this morning that I should translate it to a universal system. I own three. Masterbook, while a great system, would not work becaus it doesn't have suffecient rules for building new abilities. GURPS already has Vampire, Werewolf and Mage rules but no Changeling rules and GURPS doesn't have as developed a framework for creating powers. So, if I'm making powers and want to allow players to create new abilities, HERO seems best.

Originally posted by SleepyDrug

One of the things that bugs me about conversion is preserving the feel of some of the powers. HERO does change the dynamics of the powers a bit

I agree with Agent333 that a completely faithful reproduction of Storyteller apples with HERO oranges isn't possible. Nevertheless, I'm quite happy to shed some of the less satisfactory aspects of the way powers are handled in Storyteller.

For example, the duration, intensity, and area affected by a power in the Storyteller system are often determined randomly (i.e. by how many successes are rolled). I wasn't very happy with this as a player, and much prefer the HERO way, where such properties are determined by the player when building the power or are determined by how much END the character wants to spend. This gives more control to the players.

I guess the extent to which you would be happy with WoD done HERO-style depends on what you like and don't like about Storyteller.

Originally posted by Nuadha

I So, if I'm making powers and want to allow players to create new abilities, HERO seems best.

Well, it certainly works for me.:D

Changeling was one of the more difficult conversions to put together. I ended up representing the Fae Mien/Mortal Seeming dichotomy with a weirdly limited Duplication, with the Fae Mien acting in the Chimerical Reality dimension and the Mortal Seeming doing the same thing in Mundane Reality. I hope to revisit this (and how I handled the Arts and Realms system for Glamour powers) sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the thnigs I did was Multipower the Disciplines/Gifts.

Cheap, sligtly more limiting than straight powers and it fits some of the rules notes (no Domminate five times per turn with Celerity 5 for example).

Mage? Mage would have to be a VPP with a -1/2 Limitation: Dots in chosen Spheres. Kinda cheezy like VPP: Level based magics(-1/2) for capturing the AD&D mechanics.

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

One of the thnigs I did was Multipower the Disciplines/Gifts.

Cheap, sligtly more limiting than straight powers and it fits some of the rules notes (no Domminate five times per turn with Celerity 5 for example).

I reproduced this by adding the limitation "Only to perform physical actions (-1/2)" to the Celerity powers (SPD and Lightning Reflexes), with the assumption that Dominate powers are not physical actions.

Multipowers are certainly appropriate, though.

Mage? Mage would have to be a VPP with a -1/2 Limitation: Dots in chosen Spheres. Kinda cheezy like VPP: Level based magics(-1/2) for capturing the AD&D mechanics.

I agree with the VPP approach and have adopted it in my latest conversion notes. I dumped Spheres, which ultimately struck me as nonsensical. I allow mages to do any magickal feat permissible by (a) their Paradigm, and (B) the size of their VPP (which can be increased by Quintessence, built as an Aid to the VPP). Really restrictive Paradigms (such as what you find with Syndicate "mages") are worth an extra limitation on the Control Cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link. I'm kind of surprised there are so few Mage specific merits and flaws.

I like the Mage write-up i was sent.

I'm almost done with my draft of Vampire. I'll be doing higher level and alternate lower level Discipline powers a little later. When they are done, i'll be glad to email copies to anyone interested. (i haven't a web-site to post at).

I'll be moving on to Werewolf next and then Mage and the smaller supplements.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My suggestion would be to use desolidification with the limitation that it doesn't work against area effect attacks, and you can't squeeze through areas smaller than a rat or bat can fit. I'm not up on what exactly any of the Vampire powers do, so if there's more to this effect of Protean than I'm accounting for, let me know, and give specifics....