Character Post: Gil Grissom

Game Show Man

Writer Anthony Zuiker never in his dreams imagined that when he created a police drama about a team of forensic detectives, he was tapping into a previously untapped part of the American consciousness. Crime dramas and detective stories have always been part of American fiction, but only a handful of stories have truly focused on the scientific part of policework. CSI:Crime Scene Investigation debuted on CBS in 2000, and quickly swept the nation as the next great American television series. A big part of the success of the show can be attributed to film star William Petersen's portrayal of the enigmatic Gil Grissom, the reclusive and brillant night-shift supervisor of Las Vegas's crime lab, written up below for your viewing pleasure.

Gil Grissom

Player:

Val Char Cost
12 STR 2
13 DEX 9
15 CON 10
12 BODY 4
20 INT 10
16 EGO 12
15 PRE 5
12 COM 1
2 PD 0
3 ED 0
3 SPD 7
5 REC 0
30 END 0
26 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 60

Cost Power END
11 So That's What's Going On: Postcognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time 5 Minutes (-2), Precognition Only (-1), No Range (-1/2), Time Modifiers (-1/2), Requires A Deduction Roll (-3 Penalty to roll -1/4)
Powers Cost: 11

Cost Skill
15 +3 with Forensic Skills
6 +3 PER with Sight Group
0 Acting 8-
6 Animal Handler (Insects & Anthropods) 14-
0 Climbing 8-
0 Concealment 8-
0 Conversation 8-
9 Criminology 16-
7 Deduction 15-
9 Forensic Medicine 16-
3 Gambling (Poker) 14-
7 Interrogation 14-
3 Inventor 13-
2 AK: Las Vegas 11-
0 Language: English (completely fluent; literate, native)
0 Paramedics 8-
0 Persuasion 8-
2 PS: Criminalist 11-
0 Shadowing 8-
0 Stealth 8-
3 Streetwise 12-
5 Teamwork 13-
0 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
2 WF: Small Arms
2 KS: Law Enforcement World 11-
2 KS: Las Vegas Metro Police 11-
2 KS: Criminal Law and Procedure 11-
3 Scientist
4 1) SS: Biology (INT-based) (5 Active Points) 15-
4 2) SS: Chemistry (INT-based) (5 Active Points) 15-
5 3) SS: Entymology (INT-based) (6 Active Points) 16-
4 4) SS: Psychology (INT-based) (5 Active Points) 15-
Skills Cost: 105

Cost Perk
3 Access (LVMPD Crime Lab)
4 Contact (Las Vegas Sheriff) (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has: useful Skills or resources) 11-
2 Contact (Lady Heather) (Contact has: useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Good relationship with Contact) 8-
7 Fringe Benefit: Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate), Las Vegas Police Powers, Membership: CSI Supervisor
Perks Cost: 16

Cost Talent
5 Eidetic Memory
3 Lightsleep
Talents Cost: 8

Total Character Cost: 200

Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: Badge (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 Hunted: Las Vegas Metro Police Department 8- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; Limited Geographical Area; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
15 Psychological Limitation: Likes bugs more than people (Very Common; Moderate)
20 Psychological Limitation: Loyal to his team (Common; Total)
20 Psychological Limitation: Obsessed with solving puzzles (Common; Total)
10 Reputation: Reclusive Investigator 11-
20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently; Major)
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 100

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: Character Post: Gil Grissom

I think "Likes bugs more than people" should be worded as, "Relates better to insects than humans." He actually likes people better, but just has limited "people skills" and ability to "play politics" (which probably should be the true nature of his Psych Limit, or possibly as a Physical Limitation).

His relationship with Lady Heather, the last I saw, was rather strained since he treated her as a suspect in a homicide. However, he does have a good relationship with forensic anthropologist Teri Miller (played by Pamela Gidley, better known as Bridgitte from "The Pretender"), though we haven't seen her in a while.

I'm also of a mind that his SS: Psychology should have a lower roll... but that's just me.

So who's next? Calleigh Duchesne? :D

Pretty nicely done. You forgot his Language: American Sign Language (Fluent 2 Pts.

I would have given him an 8 STR and a 10 or 11 CON. He's never exhibited any level of physical toughness, and I don't think a character who makes his living with his wits needs to be that tough. Rather than giving him +3 with his INT Skills, simply buying him a 23 or 25 INT might work better.

I would also give him KS: Shakespeare 14- since he quotes the bard in nearly every episode.

He's by far my favorite character on CSI, although Marg Helgenberger/Katherine Willows is tres hot. :love:

I would also give him KS: Shakespeare 14- since he quotes the bard in nearly every episode.

Maybe KS: Classical Lit 14-. In just this past week's expisode, he is an obvious Arthur Conan Doyle fan, and I can't cite a specific example, but he has quoted other authors in the past.

Character Post: Gil Grissom - Picking Nits

This is an excellent effort. Great job. It really takes some courage to do a known character from any form of popular media. This is primarily because when we watch (read, listen to, generally expose ourselves to) the character, we each pick up on different little things based on our own perspectives. So, while we all can agree on the larger aspects of the character (enigmatic, bug expert, etc), it is the minutia that you'll find debated.

So, just like everyone else, I've got some comments. From my perspective.

Characteristics

Overall, I think you've done fairly well at this. My Goodman-Sense kept tingling [20 INT? Give him an 18! Same roll and you save 2 points!], but I shrugged it off. I'll have to agree with Treb that his STR and CON seem a bit high. He's never struck me as being overly physical. If you give Gil a 12 STR, what do you give Stokes? 15? However, I do remember the episode where he had to separate Eddie from Catherine, which I think shows he is willing to be physical when he needs to. Maybe a 9 or 10.

Powers

So That's What's Going On is an interesting way of simulating his ability to put the whole puzzle together when that key piece of evidence is finally revealed. Nice.

Skills

I would have never thought of giving him the Animal Handler skill. Very creative.

I don't remember him having a huge in-depth understanding of Poker, but you probably remember something I don't.

His PS: Criminalist skill seems a little low. He's good at his job. He works well with his team. I'd probably raise this a couple.

Giving him Inventor is inspired. I especially liked his improvised field kit in the Jackpot episode.

Teamwork is defined as "a character's ability to fight well with others in combat." I really haven't seen that in Gil. At all. Ever. Or any of the other Las Vegas CSI's either. If you are doing Horatio Cain from the Miami part of the franchise, maybe. He pulls his gun every other episode.

Sign Language and Literature have already been mentioned, but I also think he needs a Knowledge skill to represent his being a Roller-Coaster enthusiast.

Perks

Lady Heather has only appeared in a couple of episodes (damn it) and I don't think rises to the level of a Contact any more than Paul Milander did.

Talents

Excellent choices, no debate here.

Disadvantages

I would have broken out the watched more so I wouldn't need the Reputation or DF disads, but this works.

Like I said, this is well done, and any write up I would create would be derived from this sheet. I'd love to see the rest of the cast, too. Heck, I might even contribute a couple when I have the time.

Rep to you.

Since I'm taking this as a more up to date write-up of Gill' date=' he's gotten the hearing problem fixed?[/quote']

Yep. He went in for surgery at the end of season 3 and was all better for the premiere of season 4. Catherine and the Doc are the only two who know about it.

Okay. I'm an agreeable fellow. I forgot a bunch of the minutae of Grissom's character, such as his love of roller coasters, and his knowledge of sign language. Based on your recommendations, here's my new version of...

Gil Grissom

Player: William Petersen (writeup by Joe Van Ginkel)

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
13 DEX 9
15 CON 10
12 BODY 4
20 INT 10
16 EGO 12
15 PRE 5
12 COM 1
2 PD 0
3 ED 0
3 SPD 7
5 REC 0
30 END 0
25 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 58

Cost Power END
11 So That's What's Going On: Postcognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Extra Time 5 Minutes (-2), Postcognition Only (-1), No Range (-1/2), Time Modifiers (-1/2), Requires A Deduction Roll (-3 Penalty to roll -1/4)
Powers Cost: 11

Cost Skill
15 +3 with Forensic Skills
6 +3 PER with Sight Group
0 Acting 8-
6 Animal Handler (Insects & Anthropods) 14-
0 Climbing 8-
0 Concealment 8-
0 Conversation 8-
9 Criminology 16-
7 Deduction 15-
9 Forensic Medicine 16-
3 Gambling (Poker) 14-
7 Interrogation 14-
3 Inventor 13-
2 AK: Las Vegas 11-
4 KS: Classical Literature (INT-based) 14-
2 KS: Roller Coasters 11-
0 Language: English (completely fluent; literate, native)
2 Language: American Sign Language (fluent conversation)
0 Paramedics 8-
0 Persuasion 8-
5 PS: Criminalist 14-
0 Shadowing 8-
0 Stealth 8-
3 Streetwise 12-
0 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
2 WF: Small Arms
2 KS: Law Enforcement World 11-
2 KS: Las Vegas Metro Police 11-
2 KS: Criminal Law and Procedure 11-
3 Scientist
4 1) SS: Biology (INT-based) (5 Active Points) 15-
4 2) SS: Chemistry (INT-based) (5 Active Points) 15-
5 3) SS: Entymology (INT-based) (6 Active Points) 16-
2 4) SS: Psychology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
Skills Cost: 109

Cost Perk
3 Access (LVMPD Crime Lab)
4 Contact (Las Vegas Sheriff) (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has: useful Skills or resources) 11-
7 Fringe Benefit: Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate), Las Vegas Police Powers, Membership: CSI Supervisor
Perks Cost: 14

Cost Talent
5 Eidetic Memory
3 Lightsleep
Talents Cost: 8

Total Character Cost: 200

Val Disadvantages
5 Distinctive Features: Badge (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 Hunted: Las Vegas Metro Police Department 8- (Mo Pow; Watching; Extensive Non-Combat Influence; Limited Geographical Area; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find)
15 Psychological Limitation: Likes bugs more than people (Very Common; Moderate)
20 Psychological Limitation: Loyal to his team (Common; Total)
20 Psychological Limitation: Obsessed with solving puzzles (Common; Total)
10 Reputation: Reclusive Investigator 11-
20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently; Major)
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 100

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Two notes on the second version:

1) He has enough Knowledge Skills, and the temperament, to have the Scholar Skill Enhancer.

2) I still hold that Teri Miller would be a good Contact. She appeared in five episodes during the first three seasons, and functioned just like a Contact. Just because she hasn't been around for a while doesn't mean she isn't available (though if Aiden Burn from CSI:NY shows up, Teri could be scratched).

What exactly are "Forensic Skills"? If they include Criminology and Forensic Medicine, then those two could be dropped to 15- each; with the +3 from Skill Levels, he's still at 18-, which seems about right based on the show. Only the most intelligent/lucky/skilled criminals seem to escape his grasp.

And I second Bob's idea that Teri Miller (or someone similar) would make a good contact for him. Does anyone know if the actress has been approached to do more episodes?

And I second Bob's idea that Teri Miller (or someone similar) would make a good contact for him. Does anyone know if the actress has been approached to do more episodes?
AFAIK Pam Gidley has not been approached for that. She really hasn't done much recently, other than the deservedly short-lived series "Skin," but I do miss having Teri pop up from time to time -- after seeing her as Bridgitte, I was just getting used to seeing Pam playing a nice person. :)

I would also increase his Entomology skill (there is a typo in the write up), as I understand that this is the area he got his Ph.D. and he is an authority in the forensic community.

I agree with Bob Greenwade that Terri Miller would be a suitable contact.