Hudson City Blues

jack-o-lantern

Hi all,

First off while I know Hudson City is complete I have to add a small begging on my kneees moment please Steve please tell me you kept in Jack!!

That done on with my post.

Alright, I'm planning to run Hudson City Blues for a group of first timers of the system/genre. I would like to run superheroic (points buy everything) rahter than heroic as a dissuasion to gun bunnies which ruled the roost last time I ran. I'm thinking 225 points inclusive of 150pts disadvantages. Can anyone make recommendations to other limits. (I'm thinking spd 4, 50 active points in offense, no more than 8 resistant def, no superpowers/maybe minor).

Also i have a player who wants to play a mystical orientated hero. While I'm quite kee to include mysticsm in the settiing I'm concerned I'll be letting in too much super to the setting. I've considered converting Hell rider from Horror Champions for the job as most of his powers can be subsituted by tech (though the horse is going for sure!). Any tips on keeping balance so that I don't tumble too far down this rabbit hole and end up with a party of pychic , mystic demons of doom?

Lastly the new Dark Champions. How much new material? I will definitely be buying Hudson City but has Dark Champions have enough of an update or is mainly reprint? I know we're all fans here but please be honest. I'd rather spend the money on another hero system book for champs or sci-fi if Dark Champions is mostly old content so my money is staying here.

Re: Hudson City Blues

In my experience... if you are looking to play a street level campaign... especially one where you ask the players to pay points for all equipment/guns/etc. ... you actually need MORE points than for many supers games.

The reason is this. Most players like differentiation, and most want to be highly competent, even at low levels. What's the point of playing heroic action if you can't do that?

Competence and differentiation cost points. Lots of skills, lots of talents and perks... lots of weapons and gadgets. VERY expensive in points.

My recommendation, go with 300 total build points, or even 350. If you are concerned about superheroic stats, just make them all take Normal Char Maxima (either as a disad, or as default). Again, IME, this allows the martial artist to have good bunch of maneuvers, and some ninja weapons, and decents stats and skills. It allows the gun bunny to have at least two guns. It allows the techy to have a decent gadget pool, etc.

Heck... I ran a Heroic level game (free equipment) and gave players 300 points to build their characters (they were to be "specials" as in having strange abilities just beyond human) and STILL the players came up with very, very human PCs. They were still vulnerable to thugs with guns... still had to play things very smart... and they couldn't afford stupid mistakes, or they could die.

(You can read the write-ups, here. http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12191&highlight=Secret+Worlds )

Note that these read like Danger International style adventures... and every PC was 300 POINTS... without having to spend points on equipment. All skills, stats, perks, and very small powers.

Don't limit the overall points as much as put limits on what they can buy. That is my recommendation for a more effective Dark Champs game. YMMV

In general, remember that HCB was written a long time ago, for a different version of the rules, under previous management. Relying on it as establishing standards for anything is thus a little shaky. But as long as you're happy with your campaign, that's what counts. :hex:

No Jack O'Lantern in the new HC, I'm afraid. We've got enough NPC vigilantes for GMs to pull into their campaigns if they like, and he just seemed a bit too imitative for me to want to keep him around -- even though he's one of my favorite PCs ever. ;)

The new Dark Champions has some information and guidelines about how to incorporate mysticism, weird powers, and other such games if you want to -- it's on pages 314-15.

The new Dark Champions has a lot of new material -- just a comparison of the size of the two versions will tell you that! ;) Some of the material was touched on in old books like JNL and E4E, but a lot of it is 100% new -- and even the old stuff is significantly improved. I heartily recommend it. :bmk:

Thanks for the response Steve.

I think with it being new players to the system I should be able to keep things in check. I love HCB it was a great adventure when I played and I want my players to experience the same.

I heartily agree on Jack. He was my favourite PC I ever ran and thanks to his thrillseeker clowning attitude probably the most wanted by criminal organizations in the game. :) I guess I can always throw him back in.

Sounds like the New Dark Champs will get pre-ordered through my store today.

I'm running with 4th ed rules I may upgrade around my birthday in March but there are too many things I'm after right now. I really love the new stuff coming from you guys and long may it continue.

Sorry I meant order. LGS currently isn't stocking Hero, will soon as the store owner is in the game.

Would make some purchases online but you don't take switch :no:

Hey Jack i live in swansea south wales and my local store does stock hero could give you their address and they could then order it for you you would just have to pay for the postal to liverpool then

It is indeed a British debit card.

I'd like to support my LGS. One ,as they are the venue for the game and two, because by supporting it and buying Hero products from there I can get the store owner to carry the product and hopefully get to play a game as well as run.

I'm tricksy you see.