Bullets vs Lasers

Mightybec

I recently came across a problem building a secondary weapon system for a power armored villian. I'd like for his weapon to be a 20mm gatling gun, but it appears way cheaper to build the exaxt same weapon as an gatling laser gun (because of the cost of charges). Has anyone found a solution for this?

Mightybec

Re: Bullets vs Lasers

Originally posted by Mightybec

I recently came across a problem building a secondary weapon system for a power armored villian. I'd like for his weapon to be a 20mm gatling gun, but it appears way cheaper to build the exaxt same weapon as an gatling laser gun (because of the cost of charges). Has anyone found a solution for this?

Mightybec

Buy the gatling gun zero endurance and give it a high activation roll that can jam - represents one of several things - an actual jam or running out of ammo. It's just easier.

Re: Re: Bullets vs Lasers

Originally posted by Agent X

Buy the gatling gun zero endurance and give it a high activation roll that can jam - represents one of several things - an actual jam or running out of ammo. It's just easier.

Well, assuming that the gattling gun is autofire (which is implied by its name) buying it down to 0 END costs just as much as buying however many charges you want. If you want to give it a chance to jam as well, you can add the high activation roll. Or just leave it as is. I'm not sure where you are getting that a laser version would be cheaper though. Are you buying the laser down to 0 end or running it out of an END reserve? If you're buying it down to 0 end, it costs the same as the bullet version. If you're having it use END out of a reserve, it'll suck it dry pretty quick, unless you spend a pretty large number of points on the END reserve.

Personally, I've run across this issue when designing a villain. I finally decided to go the zero end route. Not really because of the point cost, but because I try to keep things simple. The last thing I need to do as GM is worry about charges. For a player it might be different, but unless the ammo issue is really important I wouldn't worry about it. (Its just a SFX)

Originally posted by nblade

Personally, I've run across this issue when designing a villain. I finally decided to go the zero end route. Not really because of the point cost, but because I try to keep things simple. The last thing I need to do as GM is worry about charges. For a player it might be different, but unless the ammo issue is really important I wouldn't worry about it. (Its just a SFX)

But if it is an autofire attack, the point cost is the same for 16000+ charges as it is for 0 end. And if it isn't autofire, you can get 64 charges for the same price as 0 end. I can certainly see going for 0 end for ease of play, but point-wise they're the same cost.

You are correct sir. For Villain, I don't see the point in trying to work out the numbers.

Now here is a questions, what do you expect to do with the gun? (There might be another way to get what you are looking for) If its mostly there to say spray an area, then It might be better to have zero end and AOE non-selective advantages. I think I went that way with one of the guys I was designing but never used.