Pirates versus Superheroes

Bengal

I'm imagining a game where the "heroes" are pirates, who pillage steal and generally act very badly; and the enemies are some sort of superheroes who intend to bring the pirates to justice. I can clearly see some specific mental images, some perfect still shots from the movie of the game so to speak, but I haven't the foggiest idea how superheroes could fight pirates and make it a fair fight.

Help?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Pirates versus Superheroes

I'm imagining a game where the "heroes" are pirates, who pillage steal and generally act very badly; and the enemies are some sort of superheroes who intend to bring the pirates to justice. I can clearly see some specific mental images, some perfect still shots from the movie of the game so to speak, but I haven't the foggiest idea how superheroes could fight pirates and make it a fair fight.

Help?

Pirates with superpowers?

:shock: Look out world!

Don't make it fair. :)

The players are 150 point "Legendary" pirates, with a boat full of 25-75 point pirate followers. The foes are five 350 point Super Heroes. If they go head to head, the pirates have no chance. However, for some illogical reason the Heroes have a code versus killing, and stupid Silver Age weaknesses including Plotdeviceonite and a Force Field that is worthless against anything painted pink. The pirates will have to find those weaknesses to destroy the so-called "heroes". Since the Heroes don't actually kill the pirates after capturing them, and all pirate hangings always end in a swashbuckling escape, the Heroes are doomed.

Battles at sea on a boat- Pirates know how to fight in cramped quarters and in the ship's rigging- heroes would be at big disadvantage. Plus, depending on the powers of the heroes, using them on a boat or at sea could be a BAD thing(mostly I'm thinking fire and other boat-destroying powers here).

PS: Make them Ninja Pirates and then the heroes are double-screwed!!! :stupid:

I thought all fictional pirates already were ninjas? :nonp:

As far as pirates vs. supers, one fun method is to make cannons and muskets Normal rather than Killing Attacks - BIG Normal attacks. Think of the hilarity that will ensue when Power Man gets hit by a 20d6 naval 18-pounder. :D

Also make the pirates have to scrupulously adhere to the Pirate's Code ("It's really more of a guideline.") and able to invoke the Right of Parlay even with supers.

And have you considered the tremendous advantage of having all the pirates sailing under a curse which makes them totally unkillable, at least by Four Color heroes? :D

Guest Champsguy

Battles at sea on a boat- Pirates know how to fight in cramped quarters and in the ship's rigging- heroes would be at big disadvantage. Plus, depending on the powers of the heroes, using them on a boat or at sea could be a BAD thing(mostly I'm thinking fire and other boat-destroying powers here).

PS: Make them Ninja Pirates and then the heroes are double-screwed!!! :stupid:

Uhh... yeah. 'Cause that rigging is really gonna slow down Colossus.

Agreed. Hiding in the rigging won't do much good when your ship's at the bottom of the ocean.

Interesting concept, though. I dig cross-genre stuff like that. And who doesn't like pirates? No one, that's who.

I think you all are making the wrong assumption: I think the pirates are too powerful. Any ideas as to how superheroes could possibly stand up to pirates would be welcomed.

Build the pirates on 25 points and the Super Heroes on 750, with no codes versus killing. Problem solved. :)

Yeah 'cause Collosus is gonna use his strength on something as easy to destroy as a wooden ship :stupid: He can't swim in metal form and can't hold his breath long enough to walk back to shore...

Guest Champsguy

Yeah 'cause Collosus is gonna use his strength on something as easy to destroy as a wooden ship :stupid: He can't swim in metal form and can't hold his breath long enough to walk back to shore...

Dude, don't you even know what rigging is? If Collossus walks through that, the ship is not going to sink. He's just gonna snap the ropes, and if the pirates happen to be hiding in it, you're gonna need new pirates.

Props Hermit! That's it! Make the superheroes into pirates too! Super-Pirate ought to be able to hold his own against five, maybe six boatloads of reglular priates.

Man, this is gonna be an awful game... and awful ENTERTAINING game, that is!

Dude' date=' don't you even know what rigging is? If Collossus walks through that, the ship is not going to sink. He's just gonna snap the ropes, and if the pirates happen to be hiding in it, you're gonna need new pirates.[/quote']

Yes, I do know what rigging is, do you know what happens when you rip it down? No more sailing for you until it is replaced. What I meant was that Collosus' strength would NOT be a good thing to utilize on a boat. 'Sides, as far as he goes, all they need to do is knock him overboard and he's no threat to them...

Actually as I recall, in his armored form, Colossus had no need to breath so walking ot shore would be no problem.

Well, that's settled then. Colossus may need to breathe underwater. Therefore, no superhero could possibly take on a shipful of 17th-century pirates. QED!

Instead of getting bogged down in the details of one suggestion, how about considering that fact that Supers vs. Normals must almost inevitably end in a victory for the Supers, even if the Normals have peg legs and eye patches? You don't like Colossus? Fine. How about Storm, Martian Manhunter, and the Human Torch? Doctor Doom? Apocalypse?! A few superpowered beings working in tandem can bring down a wooden caravel full of pirates (who, BTW, generally don't know how to swim). I can't believe this is even a point of contention.

Make the pirates supers as well-- even just a few of them-- and you're more likely to get an even fight. Of course, it does open up some other questions, namely, "If I can fly and shoot fireballs out of my ass, why am I floating around with a bunch of scurvy-ridden, syphilitic pirates?"

Guest Champsguy

Yes' date=' I do know what rigging is, do you know what happens when you rip it down? No more sailing for you until it is replaced. What I meant was that Collosus' strength would NOT be a good thing to utilize on a boat. 'Sides, as far as he goes, all they need to do is knock him overboard and he's no threat to them...[/quote']

Why the hell wouldn't it? Unless he decides to stomp his foot through the hull, who cares?

"Colossus, throw that cannon through their captain."

"Aye, Comrade!"

And if you rip down the rigging, who cares? You've got a whole crew of soon-to-be pirate-slaves to put it back up for you.

Oh, and sure, those pirates are gonna knock Colossus over the side. Why don't they just kick Superman in the balls while they're at it. And then they can pin the Human Torch to the ground, too. :rolleyes:

Why the hell wouldn't it? Unless he decides to stomp his foot through the hull, who cares?

"Colossus, throw that cannon through their captain."

"Aye, Comrade!"

And if you rip down the rigging, who cares? You've got a whole crew of soon-to-be pirate-slaves to put it back up for you.

Oh, and sure, those pirates are gonna knock Colossus over the side. Why don't they just kick Superman in the balls while they're at it. And then they can pin the Human Torch to the ground, too. :rolleyes:

Oh, better far to live and die

Under the brave black flag I fly,

Then play a hypocritical part

With a pirate head and a pirate heart.

Away to the world across the seas,

Where pirates all have law degrees,

But I'll be true to the song I sing

And live and die a pirate king.

(The Pirate Movie) I am a Pirate King

Written by Gilbert & Sullivan, Trevor Farrant, and Peter Sullivan

Sung by Ted Hamilton and the Pirates

Personally I think it's obvious that Champsguy is merely jealous of these "lawyers of the sea" and seeks to denigrate their abilities with his derisive words.

I love this idea that Colossus is going to just sink the ship, and that doing so would screw him over, so therefore he doesn't have a chance. How did he get on the ship in the first place? Stowaway? No, he was airlifted in by Angel. Angel can fly him back out again.

Anyway... this whole thing is laughable, in a funny kinda way. Like, I've laughed.

Also something I like: Colossus being unable to change out of his metal form once he hits the water. I agree that he would not think of this. He'd just hit the water, sink like a metal man, and suffocate due to the inadequacy of his LS.