Pirates versus Superheroes

Bengal

Re: Pirates versus Superheroes

Why the hell wouldn't it? Unless he decides to stomp his foot through the hull, who cares?

"Colossus, throw that cannon through their captain."

"Aye, Comrade!"

And if you rip down the rigging, who cares? You've got a whole crew of soon-to-be pirate-slaves to put it back up for you.

Oh, and sure, those pirates are gonna knock Colossus over the side. Why don't they just kick Superman in the balls while they're at it. And then they can pin the Human Torch to the ground, too. :rolleyes:

Been nice up until now, but if you're gonna be dick, why bother? Cyclops has knocked Collsus off his feet and if that little bitch can do it, than "Arrrr matey, the big tin boy be going over the rail". He isn't the Blob, he can be knocked off his feet and on a boot, where the whole thing is moving, he would definitely be easier to knock over, especially for those trained in ship combat. Above and beyond this, why mention Collosus at all? There are plenty of other superheroes out there that would be screwed vs Pirates but you focus on a very powerful hero. Why? Are you worried that less powerful heroes would actually be in trouble if caught in this situation.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this idea that Colossus is going to just sink the ship' date=' and that doing so would screw him over, so therefore he doesn't have a chance. How did he [i']get[/i] on the ship in the first place? Stowaway? No, he was airlifted in by Angel. Angel can fly him back out again.

Anyway... this whole thing is laughable, in a funny kinda way. Like, I've laughed.

Also something I like: Colossus being unable to change out of his metal form once he hits the water. I agree that he would not think of this. He'd just hit the water, sink like a metal man, and suffocate due to the inadequacy of his LS.

Okay, while not the most serious of discussions, it has been fun(until Champsguy got involved at least), and that's the main point. But here's the thing- even if Piotr turned to human and stayed on the surface, what does he do now? He's in the ocean and while I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's a strong swimmer, where's he gonna go? Swim to shore? Good luck with that... Have Angel fly him out? Maybe if they're within a couple miles of land, otherwise Warren will have to drop him or he won't make it himself.

Guest Champsguy

Been nice up until now' date=' but if you're gonna be dick, why bother? Cyclops has knocked Collsus off his feet and if that little bitch can do it, than "Arrrr matey, the big tin boy be going over the rail". He isn't the Blob, he can be knocked off his feet and on a boot, where the whole thing is moving, he would definitely be easier to knock over, especially for those trained in ship combat. Above and beyond this, why mention Collosus at all? There are plenty of other superheroes out there that would be screwed vs Pirates but you focus on a very powerful hero. Why? Are you worried that less powerful heroes would actually be in trouble if caught in this situation.[/quote']

I'm naturally a dick. Ask anyone. You might as well ask a pirate not to have sex with young boys while he's sailing.

Colossus weighs like 500 lbs. He's strong enough to lift the ship over his head (assuming he has something to stand on). And a couple of vitamin-C deficient guys with swords are gonna charge him and knock him over the edge?

What supers would be beaten by pirates? I guess Oracle, since she's just a smart paralyzed chick. And, umm... maybe some of the also-ran mutants. Like, I guess Leech isn't gonna be all that effective. Neither will anyone with only telemechanics.

I suppose ghost pirates would be allowed, but only if they were interred in vessels which were then rubbed, or chanted over, by the living pirates. Kind of like the genie of the lamp, but without the ability to grant even a single wish (unless you wish for a ghost pirate to come out of the container).

So if there are ghost pirates, shouldn't there be ghost superheroes? I mean, let's make it fair.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be one of the strangest threads I have ever read.

It doe bring up the issue of supers vs. normals. Unless the supers are really low level supers, its not ever going to be a contest. Even for supers who usually fight "normal" criminals, a.ka. Batman, the regular street criminals are a warm up exercise. The chalange comes from figuring out the crazed archvilian's plot (ala Joker) or from taking on other metahuman opponents (ala Killer Croc or Bane). A comic where Batman only took on muggers and crack dealers would get really old really fast. Consider the following exchange.

Pirate: Arrggh, I draw me cutlass matey.

Super: I activate my 25 PD forcefield and fire my 12d6 area affect energy blast.

Pirate: Suck me scuppers, lads, Im a crispy stain on the quarterdeck. arrrgh.

Even a couple of supers with decent defences can whipe the floor, er, deck with a whole truckload (make that boat load) of normals.

So, if you really wanted to persue this campaign (hey, it takes all kinds) then you have to come up with some kind of severe limits on the supers. Perhaps stricly limit the amount of resistant defense they could have. Its a whole different story if those musket balls dont bounce off. Or perhaps keep them from having powerful attacks. But without some sharp artificial limits even lower powered supers are going to crush agent level humans with fairly crappy weapons period equipment.

Simple solution for such powers, only alow for some powers, not all of them. Think...have you ever seen anyone on One Piece shoot lazer beams from there eyes? No? Have you seen anyone on One Piece fly? No? Have you seen anyone on One Piece streach? Yes? Good.

By the way, your players should also be cairful with there power selection, so as not to disrupt the feal of the game. This might also mean a lower point cost for the players also, so that thay can't get to much overboard with there powers.

And don't forget to have a good look at "superskill" powers.

Sounds like Super Agents. The supplement is long out of print, the concept being that you play UNTIL or PRIMUS agents going up against Supervillains.

It can be fun. When you and your agent level buddies are high-fiving over the unconscious body of a supervillain, victory is that much sweeter, because the antagonist is so powerful.

But super agents get: armor, weapons, cool gadgets... as well as the advantage of superior numbers. So to give the ghost-ninja-pirates a fighting chance, they need some kind of edge: magic weapons, ninja powers, etc...

Or the superheroes could have well know weaknesses. So pirates fighting vampires would have an easier time than pirates fighting Colossus, as everyone knows vampires are vulnerable to crosses, garlic, fire, sunlight, etc...

Guest Champsguy

Simple solution for such powers, only alow for some powers, not all of them. Think...have you ever seen anyone on One Piece shoot lazer beams from there eyes? No? Have you seen anyone on One Piece fly? No? Have you seen anyone on One Piece streach? Yes? Good.

By the way, your players should also be cairful with there power selection, so as not to disrupt the feal of the game. This might also mean a lower point cost for the players also, so that thay can't get to much overboard with there powers.

And don't forget to have a good look at "superskill" powers.

One Piece? I have no idea what you're talking about.

One Piece is a Manga story in Shonen Jump (and an anime show that's on Saturday mornings on FOX) about a... 'Pirate-in-Training' who ate a piece of the 'Devil's Fruit' and it gave him super powers - Stretching specifically. He's quite inventive and strong, but he can't swim (I guess those stringy muscle become limp spaghetti in the water...).

There are other types of Devil's Fruit out there, so who knows what them super-landlubbers might run into...

One Piece? I have no idea what you're talking about.

It's a manga from VIZ (and published in there magazeen Shoen Jump along with Yu-Gi-Oh!, DragonBall Z, and Naruto, anoung other stories), and a TV anime shown on what use to be known as the Fox Box, but is now called 4Kids.TV. Anyways, it tells of the adventures of one Luffy D. Monkie, who as a young boy ate a cursed fruit which alowes him to streatch.

I beleve Mike Subrook has some writeups of Luffy and the Straw Hat Pirets (Luffie's not-so-leathal band), and the evil pirates thay come across. Right now, I can count "superpowered" oponents one one hand, but there are a lot of "wierd skill" pirates (like Captian Kuro, who is the master of the Pussyfoot Stealth Walk manuver).

I beleve there is a link to Subrook's Stuff on the links page of this varrie sight.

Evil pirates? What are they called' date=' the Domino's Buccaneers?[/quote']

Depends on the storie. There is Captian Aveta's crew. Then Caption Buggy The Clown's crew, called the Big Top Pirates. Then Captian Kuro's crew, the Black Cat Pirates. Curently thay are faceing some guy trying to take over a floating resteraunt (I forgot the pirate captian's name, and the name of his crew).