Can't see me!

Vanguard00

Quick bit o' help, folks. How do you construct someone who's invisible to all electronic devices? You can't see him on film, hear him on microphones, pick him up on radar...anything electronic.

Invisibility to Radio Group, No fringe...does that cover all electronics?

I don't have a book or HD handy at the moment so I'd appreciate a little help.

Thanks muchly.

Re: Can't see me!

Well, I think most base sensors are bought as individual senses. Video cameras, as sight, microphones as hearing, etc. So just doing Radio would miss the most important ones you are trying to hit.

I'd buy it like I was trying to be invisible to people then slap a limitation on the whole thing that says "Only v. electronics and sensors". I recently made a character with the inverse (Can't be seen by people, but is still visible to machines) and did it that way. That doesn't mean the toaster can see her, because it doesn't have eyes. But if the base's toaster had purchased sight so it could turn on when someone enters the room, the other people would constantly be wondering why the toaster turns on when no one seems to be around.

That's how I'd do it. Just make sure that you apply any Sense Group/Sense that is common or likely to be uses by electronic sensors. If I were GM, as long as you covered all the basics of what's commonly possible, I'd hand wave anything else and say you were invisible even if a robot bought a weird Detect.

P.S.: In a Champions campaign where the IHA (or similar) is in effect, any mutant with this ability would have to buy it versus Detect Mutant as well as anything else, because the sense is just too common on machines.

I would make sure to discuss with the GM what I mean by "electronic devices of any sort". The build shouldn't cover anything in the Unusual Sense Group, like a "Mutant Detector" or the like (unless they use the Simulated Sense Group rule).

If you truly mean any electronic device in a super genre campaign, I might reduce it to -¾ or -½, or just say that you can't stop Unusual Sense Group sensors at all, but leave it at -1.

edit: I just should have waited (or written faster). Dust Raven sort of beat me to it. :D

Well, just for clarification, I don't mind a few detect-inspired loopholes. That'd make for good fun, I think. What I'm trying to accomplish is the fact that no cameras, radar, recorders of any sort, etc, is going to see him. If he steps on a pressure pad then he's going to set it off (thus no "touch group" purchased). Similarly, if someone comes up with the appropriate detect (and I'm waffling on the actual special effects here) via science, then I think they should be able to detect him. It would be a highly unusual event, but it could happen.

Thanks for the input, folks.

What's that lim worth' date=' you think? Only versus electronics and sensors? Think that's a -1? More? It's probably no less than a -3/4 lim, but probably more- since most of your enemies will have "natural" senses.[/quote']

I think -1 is about right for a standard superhero game, but the lim could have a wide range of values depending on the campaign. For example, in a mecha-inspired campaign where all the villains use power armor, then the limitation might not be worth any points.

Just want to point out that film is not electronic. Video tape and other means of electronic recording can be covered pretty well, but film is a chemical medium, and most cameras are mechanical in their workings. Not really an electronics issue.

{Yes, most cameras have electronics for metering, flash, for determining exposure and shutter speed. But the actual shutter mechanism is not really an electronic thing as much as simple mechanics. Press button, shutter trips.}

I think that you could do it with the limitation as suggested, but change it to 'detectable by organic sensors', which would mean that if Viper had used real eyes in their security cameras (gross, but this is Viper...), you'd get seen, even though the signals from the eyes were being interpretted by electronics, the detect has already happened, but normal electronics and camera film wouldn't work. This could also, potentially, cover mirrors...

Interesting thought (maybe): what if Defender's helmet is opaque and he actually sees through cameras which feed into a screen in front of his eyes: character invisible? Probably....

Bionic eyes too...hmmm....glasses that correct vision...'I can see him but for some reason he's blurry'