Powers of a Roman Catholic priest?

Trebuchet

I'm trying to create a new character for a Dark Champions campaign; and I've decided it would be intriguing to play a mystic character who is a Roman Catholic priest and Jesuit. Now whipping up a few magical-type combat spells is easy; what I'm having trouble with is determining what kind of "holy" powers such a character might also possess? What kind of (literally) God-given abilities to combat supernatural evil might a holy warrior/priest wield in such a campaign? Ideas?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Powers of a Roman Catholic priest?

Some other non-magic things a priest might have:

Oratory

PS:accounting (some priests are good with managing money)

Contacts - local police, local fire dept., local school leaders, community leaders, rich parish members, church leadership local and maybe even nationally (perhaps contacts in Rome if the priest has some fame or pull)

Favors - may be owed favors by the same groups mentioned in contacts

Reputation - could have this if is a local activist or frequently in the news

A roommate of mine from college (a aerospace eng.) is now a priest in Indiana. He likes his job, and it is quite challenging (especially fund raising and money management). He has many local contacts.

For a DC character this could be very useful. [an example: he could have a conversation with a member of his church, the local police chief, about recent criminal events].

You definitely need the classic Exorcism ritual, which I'd probably do as a Dispel vs. any demonic summoning or possession, One At A Time, working against Summon, Mental/Spiritual Transform, or whatever else you think is appropriate.

You'd want your priest to have the ability to Bless objects to make them effective/more effective against supernatural evil. I'd generally run that as Transform to make the item activate those Susceptibilities and/or Vulnerabilities, although additional Damage Powers UOO could also fit.

Of course if the priest is really in good with the Divine, "laying on of hands" (Healing) would be very appropriate.

I'll give it some more thought and see what else I can come up with. :)

You can model him on any of the Saints' various miracles as well. Some of the saints being divinities of other religions too, expands the list (birgitte springs to mind).

I'm sure there are plenty of saint websites out there if you want to google it.

Possibly a high Pre,only vs. "sinners" (Repent or go the ****), armor of faith (PD/ED), possibly an EGO attack, Aid, Healing, Luck, Power Defence (My faith protects me), Suppress (magic of demonic origin) - any of these might be appropriate.

If it were a nun, I would add HKA, OIF (Ruler).

Possibly a high Pre,only vs. "sinners" (Repent or go the ****), armor of faith (PD/ED), possibly an EGO attack, Aid, Healing, Luck, Power Defence (My faith protects me), Suppress (magic of demonic origin) - any of these might be appropriate.

If it were a nun, I would add HKA, OIF (Ruler).

Aha! Another scarred veteran of a Catholic school! ;)

I'm trying to create a new character for a Dark Champions campaign; and I've decided it would be intriguing to play a mystic character who is a Roman Catholic priest and Jesuit. Now whipping up a few magical-type combat spells is easy; what I'm having trouble with is determining what kind of "holy" powers such a character might also possess? What kind of (literally) God-given abilities to combat supernatural evil might a holy warrior/priest wield in such a campaign? Ideas?

Let's see. Casting out demons (some sort of dispel vs bodyjacking); speaking with new tongues (universal translator); healing by laying on hands (Aid, Stun & Body, touch range); Prophecy (precog, only while asleep, no conscious control); taking up serpents & drinking deadly things (both LS vs poison); and miracles (6d6 luck).

Check out the Christian Ritual Magic article in the link below. It was made for GURPS, but converting them to HERO (or just using the concepts) shouldn't be too hard.

http://fantasy.geographic.net/gurps

While you're at it, check out the other articles there. GURPS Hot and Heavy is... interesting, to say the least.

An important thing to keep in mind when dealing with christian theory in games is the distinction between rituals and divine blessings. Priests know how to perform rituals (a kind of holy spell or ceremony) through thier own faith and knowledge. God granted powers (like laying on hands and resurrections) are the province of saints and prophets. The powers are granted to them (whether they like it or not). A priest can't learn how to do these things, he has to have the power dropped on his head.

Here's what I have so far. I'll probably add a couple offensive slots. Any suggestions?

Cost** Power END
37** God's Grace: Multipower, 56-point reserve, (56 Active Points); OIF (Cross; -1/2)*
5u** 1) Bless: Minor Transform 5 1/2d6 (Object into Holy Object, Ritual Desecration) (55 Active Points)* 5
5u** 2) Begone, Demon!: Suppress Mind Control 11d6 (55 Active Points)* 5
3u** 3) Power of God: Detect Evil 17- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense (29 Active Points)* 0
1u** 4) Holy Light: Sight Group Images Increased Size (2" radius; +1/4) (12 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), No Range (-1/2)* 1
3u** 5) Heal Thyself!: Healing BODY 3d6, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection (55 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1)* 15
2u** 6) Power of the Righteous: +20 PRE (20 Active Points)*
6u** 7) Shield of Faith: Force Wall (9 PD/9 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (56 Active Points)* 2
10** Body Armor: Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)* 0
Powers Cost: 72

He's got some martial arts for basic self defense. I've still got about 10 points to play with. I might put some more Limitatios on some of the MP slots; Extra Time on the Exorcism (Begone, Demon!) makes sense.

I'm also trying to figure out a good name for a Catholic/Christian holy warrior. For the moment I'm using the working name of "Justicar" but I'm not really happy with that. Any suggestions from the Christians on the boards? I'm actually looking for something that sounds kind of "Old Testament."

A little further afield, but my world's NPC, The Bishop, who now does deep undercover work for an inner-circle of the Catholic Church (and btw is himself a former Anglican English super who is believed retired), has the Voice of God, which can compel someone to do something; he most often uses a minor variant that compels someone to speak the truth. As a side note to this, he uses that to two levels, one which compels someone just to say only truth but not anything specific (i.e., they cannot lie or even implicitly deceive, but they can talk about something else or skirt the issue), and another which overtly forces someone to blurt out what he wishes. However, he has severe Psych Lims as to using those powers, he uses only the one that compels someone to say truthful things but nothing entirely specific on a regular basis, and he can resort to the more powerful version if he feels it's a serious enough situation and he's not getting enough info and/or the person is evil. And he can only use the Voice of God when it's certain, at least in his mind at an entirely sincere, deep level, that God would so approve of what is being commanded - in fact he has to be certain it is God speaking through him, i.e., he really beileves that. And in this case God almost never smites directly via that - there are cases which I would rule as GM that he might, though.

He similarly has Detect Evil as above. He also has Detect Souls/Spirits, I figure on a super-level that's consistent with Exorcist abilities/approaches.

PS - he can also Detect Lies. He has many other powers, too, less directly related to what you're asking (powerful Suppresses to mechanical/electrical items, the material items of man, and such, as well as the ability to Suppress many mind-altering and "intrusive" powers - essentially a somewhat-limited VPP), and he is extremely powerful, though. Not sure how many points as I haven't formally statted him. I will soon as he's becoming more relevant for the campaign, but I won't post him here as it's against my policy to post currently-used NPCs as I don't like even subliminal direct influence on players.

Thanks for the input, Zorn. I haven't decided yet if his powers are actually literally gifts from God, but I have decided that he believes that to be the case. My background so far for him is Italian-American, 28 years old, a skilled linguist (He speaks Hebrew, Hellenic Greek, Latin, Italian, and English). He served four years as a US Marine officer before attending seminary in Rome. While in seminary his powers first manifested, which quickly brought him to the attention of the Jesuits. The Jesuits in turn have inducted him into an elite circle of church servants with superpowers. Now done with his training as a priest, he's been sent back to his hometown parish to do his first rotation as a newly ordained priest. Since he's a neighborhood kid made good, he's popular and a good example for the local at-risk kids. (He has numerous relatives in the Mob.) The Jesuits would like him to not only gain more experience with his powers but also to use them for good. His Archbishop is aware of his abilities and serves as his spiritual advisor and mentor. (Bought as a Contact)

I need to buy him a few more skills and stick some type of direct mystic attack into his MP.

We haven't decided exactly where the campaign city is yet, but odds are good it will be Hudson City (possibly renamed) once that comes out.

The strange thing here is that I've always found myself leaning towards the following write up for exorcism powers: Extar dimensional movement usable as attack(+1), anydimension, only to return the target from whence they came(-1), others only(-1/2)l, with extra time and focus lims to represent the ritual required, an activation roll based on Power:Faith skill(14 or 15< probably) and a side effect of the dispel vs. mind control if the priest fails the activation roll and the demon gets a free shot at possessing the priest first, however you would run that...

Did you mean ritual consecration for that one slot? 'Cause I would think he wouldn't want to desecrate things... :no:

I know it's a little hokey, but why not just go by his name and call himlike Father O'Brien or something like that?

Also, 'nother idea: Change Environment 2", no range(-1/2), 0 end cost(+1/2), Blessed ground- 2 pts. NND RKA(defense is being a human being or animal from the earth dimension), or something like that...

I'm also trying to figure out a good name for a Catholic/Christian holy warrior. For the moment I'm using the working name of "Justicar" but I'm not really happy with that. Any suggestions from the Christians on the boards? I'm actually looking for something that sounds kind of "Old Testament."

Mordecai "warrior"

Gideon, "mighty warrior"

Ezekiel, "Strength of God" or "Strenghtened by God"

humm

Ethan, "strong, firm, constant"

Gabriel, "God is my strength"

Lemuel, "devoted to God, beloging to God"

Malachi, "messenger of God"

Obadiah, "servant of God"

Zedekiah, "justice of the lord"

Did you mean ritual consecration for that one slot? 'Cause I would think he wouldn't want to desecrate things... :no:

I know it's a little hokey, but why not just go by his name and call himlike Father O'Brien or something like that?

Also, 'nother idea: Change Environment 2", no range(-1/2), 0 end cost(+1/2), Blessed ground- 2 pts. NND RKA(defense is being a human being or animal from the earth dimension), or something like that...

When you buy Transform you have to specify a method for it to be changed back. I figured the logical reversal for a consecrated item would be to desecrate it. But this way he can bless any object and in theory make it more effective against most supernatural foes.

I considered just using his name, but decided he's still going to need a Secret ID since he has family. He's going to be a much more "Shadow" type of hero, using his God-given powers to fight Evil as opposed to just evil.

I like the Change Environment for Blessed ground idea a lot. I was trying to come up with a way to do something like that, but your method is better. I'll probably make it linger a bit (It would be up to the GM to decide if the effect would be permanent on a case by case basis.)

Mordecai "warrior"

Gideon, "mighty warrior"

Ezekiel, "Strength of God" or "Strenghtened by God"

humm

Ethan, "strong, firm, constant"

Gabriel, "God is my strength"

Lemuel, "devoted to God, beloging to God"

Malachi, "messenger of God"

Obadiah, "servant of God"

Zedekiah, "justice of the lord"

I like Mordecai; Zedekiah is good too. I was also considering Maccabee, since I believe that means "hammer" in Hebrew. I intend to play him more like an evangelical Protestant in his hero ID; and yes that's an anachronism. But even the Catholics have their firebreathers (Like Galadorn but give him a personality and actual compassion). He'll constantly quote the Bible, particularly the OT ("For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind. Hosea, chapter seven, verse eight" being a favorite).

I think I may use Gabriel as his christian name. That'll be a subtle dig at Mentor, since that's Mentor's RL surname.

IIRC you said you had once attended Catholic seminary? How long does that usually take? Do I need to adjust his timeline?

Thanks much for the help. :)

The most obvious hero names for this character would be something along the lines of "The Priest", "The Deacon", "The Bishop", "The Jesuit", etc. Or maybe you could go with "Fist of God", "Hand of God", "Hammer of God", something like that. I can't quote from the Bible at all, really, but I'm almost certain that one could find cool character names there. Maybe not a direct quote, but a name inspired by a story like "The Eleventh Plague". There's bound to be something better in there.

IIRC you said you had once attended Catholic seminary? How long does that usually take? Do I need to adjust his timeline?

In my teens I thought I had a vocation to the priesthood, and many of my High School studies reflected this. (For example, I was the only Freshman in my Latin class.) By the time I finished high school I was no longer a Christian, and I was "religion shopping." So I never got around to even filling out my application for seminary.

Usually seminary takes four years, and is done like graduate school, after one has an undergrad degree. Sometimes seminary can be done at the same time as the undergrad degree. But he would have had to have finished college before being commissoned in the Marines. Maybe a wunderkin who finished high school at 17, college at 20, four years in the Marines (includes OCS), then four years seminary. That would be just right for him to be 28.

What was his undergrad degree in, and what did he do in the Marines? If his degree is in psychology, or his job in the Marines involved counseling, that might have shortened his seminary studies.

Thanks much for the help. :)

You're welcome!