Zombie Hero: Pt 1 The Oakdale Galleria

nexus

I thought I would post the logs from my Zombie Hero game "And the dead shall walk..." These logs contain adult language that may be offensive. They are also quite long.

It is dawn and a storm looms on horizon. Dark thunderheads billow and churn in the distance, lightening flashing in ominous silence among them. Its been 3 days since you've seen any people. Any living people anyway. There are plenty of bodies. People killed in the rioting, or that actually succumbed to the Flu...or "them" and died in the wreck clogged streets. The charnel smell of fire and rotting flesh hangs faintly in the air, tainting everything you taste with its foulness. Supplies are running low. The last of your canned goods are gone and your down to a few strips of jerky and some stale chips when you see it, like an oasis in the middle of the wastes, the shopping mall.

The sign says "Oakdale Galleria". Its a 2 floor mega shopping complex with a glass facade facing a broad open parking lot. Only a few burned out and stripped cars sit in the lot. Miraculously, nothing moves. The place looks almost pristine and untouched by the looting. Maybe there's something inside still.

Mackenzie Simons walked quietly with Angela close to her. "We gotta go there, we gotta see what we can find, Angie" she looked to her. "We have to get any supplies we can find" she walked on. Times like these she thought of Mike. He was so strong. He fought the disease to the bitter end. He never gave up, but like all the others that came into her ER praying they'd find some cure, they all fell victim to the disease and took the same dark path as all the others.

She shook the thought out of her head, she had to remember Mike as he was.

The Mike in the photo in her wallet hugging onto her with a smile on his

face after they went white water rafting. How he ever talked her into that

was beyond her. He called it an adventure before she started to work in the

er. After her residency and before she was a full ER doc they went out to

tame the rapids. It was an adventure she never would have gone on if it

wasn't for Mike. He was always spontaneous and wild and brought an extra

spark into her life.

Mackenzie looked to the Oakdale Galleria, it was her time to be wild and to

look at life a bit more. Doctor Mackenzie Simons would never have thought

of going to a mall to pillage for supplies, but Mrs. Michael Simons knew

there was nothing else she could do if she wanted her sister and her to

survive. So on she walked towards the mall.

Angie stuck close her, peering around with wide, frightened eyes at the surrounding lot. “Do you, do you think its safe, Sam? I mean…you remember what those guys tried to do back on the turn pike, right?†Her voice broke a bit as she recalled it. The two truckers and they’re friendly invitation to ride with them, then trying to paw them and get them into the back. Only a lucky kick to the balls stunned one long enough for them to get and run for it. They’d lost part of their supplies in the process. Why were people do this? They should be helping each other instead they were turning on each other like animals.

Mackenzie looked to Angie shuddering at the memory her sister brought up.

She put a hand to her shoulder, "I'm not sure, Ang" she said honestly, "But

I know that we're almost out of supplies as it is" she said, "And we won't

survive without them" she looked back to the mall, the applebees and olive

garden. She used to like going to shopping and then to Applebees with Angie

getting drinks after a well deserved girl's day out. It used to be fun.

Now here they stood looking to the mall and its surroundings as a way to

survive. "I'm sure not all people turned into animals yet. There has to be

some still willing to help"

With the tail of the duster swirling around his feet, Marc walked towards the mall quietly, keeping his eyes out for anything that moved in the shadows. Up ahead, he could hear voices - that was possibly good. Voices speaking coherent sentences meant they weren't walking corpses. Of course, it didn't necessarily mean they were friendly, either.

His hand dropped to the low-slung Peacemaker on his hip. Okay, so the whole 'modern cowboy' motif, with the holster slung low, and the duster (he was still looking for a decent Stetson), was more of a joke than anything else; probably brought on by the functional replica that was the Peacemaker, but he had used it. Unfortunately, on another human being.

"Christ," he muttered as he took his hand away from the gun. It had been a store about ten miles east of New York, some guy guarding a little mom and pop style grocery store with his life, had wanted to rob Marc of all his worldly possessions, which consisted of what he had inside his backpack, the clothes he wore, the gun at his hip, and the sword on his back. "The world's gone to hell in more ways than one." It was a simple choice, kill or be killed - but it still hadn't been an easy one.

Holding his hands up, palm out, he walked forward slowly, edging closer to the groups of people already congregating outside of the shopping center. With each step, the heavy backpack, slung over his right arm, thumped against his back, pushing the sheathed katana against him. Damn he felt ridiculous.

Without saying anything at first, he waited until he got someone's attention, his eyes sweeping over everyone, and he nodded, the faintest bit of a hopeful smile on his lips. He might have said something, his mouth certainly opened as if he might, but fear and that little tickle in the back of his mind that told him to shut up before he said something stupid stopped him from anything more than "Hi."

Mackenzie turned moving Ang behind her, "Hi" she said back looking at the man. She looked a far cry then she did back at the hospital, but she was still wearing scrub pants with a tank top she used to wear under her scrub top. She had a sack with some meager items, "We don't want any trouble" she said, "I can be useful" she said softly, "If you aren't stupid I... I'm a doc" she said.

Angie barely managed not to scream and huddled behind her sister. She was a smaller woman, almost frail looking with a pretty doll like beauty. She was dirty, her hair a mess and dressed in scruffy jeans and a loose blue blouse with a bad rip along the collar.

Marc smiled again, faintly, almost shyly and nodded. He wasn't very old, and looked it - every bit of nineteen years, and suddenly feeling very exposed. Even in the faint, dawn light, it wasn't hard to miss the fact that he was blushing as he turned away. With the soft sound of a throat clearing, he shook his head, his long, slightly dirty hair swaying in the ponytail he kept it in. "No.I don't want any trouble either," he dropped his left hand while pointing past the girls with his right. He thought he had seen some other people earlier.

"I was just heading there. I guess you two are, too?" He smiled again, still shy, and seemed reluctant to look at either woman. "I.well, I'm Marc," he swallowed. "I saw a sales paper showing the mall on my way into town. Figured if the place wasn't crawling with things, it might be a decent place to get some supplies."

He rolled his shoulders and dropped the hand that was point, watching them, but still not looking at them, his head cocked slightly, face tilted down just a bit.

John looks around the area of the mall carefully before doing anything. "Hopefully some food is still good in the food court." He mumbles to himself. To bad most malls don’t have gun stores in them, could use something better then I have now. He then reaches down and pulls out his M1911A1 45 automatic, and adjusts the M-1 garand he had found in a house a few miles away. He takes out his binoculars and scans the mall and the area around it before doing anything else. The parking lot looked clear of anyone, but no, wait, there were some people two woman and a man standing near the edge of the lot.

There was a person near the van, at least a human-like figure moving in ways... they... usually didn't: Smooth, fluid, easy. Purposeful, perhaps, walking around the van, examining it. She had just stepped out around from behind it into his field of vision.

The van, aside from being badly rusted out along the side was intact. It didn’t look like it had been her for very long. She could see a pack of cigarettes lying on the passenger’s seat, but the keys were not where to be seen. And all the doors were locked.

Still... locks were mechanisms, and fairly simple at that. If there was a locksmith's shop in the mall (as seemed likely), then maybe she could score some picks. There would be lots of locks to practice on, after all. So she headed toward the mall - and the other people, or at least she hoped they were people. She hated running from those... things, but nothing seemed to actually stop them. Knock them down, slow them, but stop them? Not that she'd yet found. Sandra saw another man walking across the lot. It seemed to be a gathering place; popular even after the end of the world. That had to be selling point. He didn’t seem to be terrible hurry and when she glanced at where he was walking as she stepped around the corner of the restaurant, she saw a small group of fellow refugees had assembled in front of the Galleria.

John stopped scanning the mall when he saw the people. He steadied the binoculars on them; they looked to be alive. He watched them for about 10 minutes then went on to see if there was anything else moving anywhere else, then, if he doesn’t see anything, he slowly stands up and starts walking towards them keeping an eye out for anything at all.

Mackenzie smiled a little, "Yea, we're looking for supplies too" she said, "I'm Mackenzie" she said looking to her sister going to let her speak for herself. "My sister and I were heading for supplies too. We had a bit of a run in and lost supplies before" she said watching him. He was cute, younger, but cute. "So we were hoping it was clear too."

Angie mustered a bit more courage and stepped out from behind her sister, taking in the young man with a speculative gaze. She wasn’t much older than him, perhaps a year.

It seems the people meeting in the parking lot were actually people and not zombies after all. The two women looked like they were in need and the man they were talking to is, for now, being friendly.

Kuri sighs, and decides that if she's going to check out this place, she is going to run into these people anyway. Might as well be on open terms. If the group is armed and jumpy it wouldn't do to surprise them either. Running her fingers through her long black hair and brushing her hips, she unconsciously checked to see that all of her sharp little friends were in place. Without a word, she began her walk towards the group.

Sandra cross the open space quickly, stepping up to the façade. She was a pretty, very pretty Chinese woman. Her rugged jeans and blouse were still clean but a little ragged. Much like the rest of them. The signs of survival. John was just stepping around a parked car when thunder broke over head and rain began to pour down in buckets.

Kuri stepped out of the sleeting rain, a slender gray form, her hair slicked across her face and clothing clinging to every inch of her lean body like a second skin now.

As the rain started to come down Mackenzie looked over to Angie and the new guy. "Crap, it's raining" she said turning, "We better run" she said looking to the buildings, "We better get somewhere dry"

Marc finally looked at the two women this time, grinning a bit. He still seemed a bit self conscious, but he wasn't looking around or through them. "I.well, let's go check it out. If the doors are locked, I might be able to get us inside," he lifted his eyes up as it started to rain, and sighed a bit. If it wasn't for bad luck.

"C'mon," he had been looking around. He could see other people, other figures, moving towards them. but none of them had the jerkier movements of a walking corpse. None of them were acting hostile...it seemed like everyone just wanted to get inside. Maybe for once he could manage to help someone out without fucking it up. "Looks like we got company, and if any of those things are around, I don't wanna be caught in the open." He flashed another smile, and began moving towards the front of the mall, already reaching into the inside pocket of the duster for his dad's old lockpick set, just in case.

Marc walked up to the front doors of the Galleria and peered inside, wiping the damp glass as best he could. The lights were on inside and the store still had their security grates down. He didn’t see anything moving or any people inside. The front doors were locked, automatic deadbolts. They’d have to find a maintenance door or blow threw the likely shatterproof glass to get in this way.

"Let's try for a loading dock," the Chinese girl suggested. "The deadheads don't have the brains to get up to a loading dock door and open it." She just hoped the roll-up doors hadn't been locked before everyone had left.

Mackenzie watched him, "Alright" she said starting to run towards the buildings. They had to get in and in shelter.

Angie huddled, trying futilely to shield herself against the rain. “Come on, we really need to get out of this…maybe we can back one of the those trucks up against the place and climb up on the roof…there’s got to be access up there, right?†She suggested as she hurried after her sister.

Mackenzie looked over, "We could try" she said as she continued to run."There has to be something better than out here"

They ran up to the front façade as the rain beat down on their heads. The inside of the Mall was still lit, but looked unoccupied.

Sabrina then said, in a very loud voice, "Well, since nobody's listening to me, I'll go check out the loading dock myself!" and went to find a loading dock - a mall this size would probably have several.

“Wait!†Angie shouted after her. “We shouldn’t split up!â€

She turned back to face them, "You're right, we shouldn't. So come and help!"

John got nervous as he started walking towards the women, the same nervousness he used to get before.

"Dammit the world has ended and there are zombies and I still get nervous around women." He mumbled to himself. "Hi I uh, my name is uh John." He looks at them and then quickly looks away.

Angie jumped, whirling and almost slipped in a puddle. “Holy Jesus Fuck!â€

Mackienzie moved protectively between her and the guy, “Hey John, lets just all get us over and inside†she said softly. “We don’t wanna be caught in the rain any longer than we have to beâ€

John frowns and then smiles "Uh sorry, didn’t mean to scare you.

Sabrina grinned a little, "I'm Sabrina."

“Come on, lets just in out of this rain before we all catch pneumonia,†Angie said, whining a bit. The rain was now coming down in buckets and brilliant flash of lightening punctuated her words.

"Then hurry up!" Sabrina snapped. "We need to get in, the loading docks are our best chance, and they'll be partly sheltered," and with that she starting around the mall, looking for the docks. At the very least there'd have to be one for the supermarket

“Who the hell died and put you in charge? Angie snapped back. “Who the fuck are you anyway?â€

Marc looked around. His hand had dropped to the butt of his pistol when Angie had fallen and called out. He hadn't moved between John and the women, but he had been ready to draw and shoot. Too many assholes and jerks out there to make him feel safe anymore. John, however, seemed as scared as everyone else."C'mon, let's check the loading dock. Baring that, there's probably a security entrance that's not on any type of timed lock. Easier to pick," he was fairly proficient with the picks. Not perfect, but proficient. "That doesn't work, I think we can find a way in on the roof. I don't think we'll need a truck though. Out back, there'll most likely be some sort of chained up access ladder. Most placed have them for emergencies or maintenance," he smiled a bit and struggled out of the duster, getting it unhooked from the Katana. Walking over to Angie, he slipped it over her shoulders. It was already wet, and so was she, but it would help keep the bite of the wind off of her until they could get her come clothes that she hadn't tried to bath in. He didn't bother looking at the girls or anyone else and hoped no one would see the faint blush of red on his face. Without saying another word he walked towards the back of the building.

Angie looked after him with an odd look on her face and shared a look with her sister.

"Yeah lets get inside, and this could help." Johnreaches into backpack and takes out his crowbar.

Mackenzie nodded and ran with them, “Ya, we have to hurry up†she said looking to them moving trying to find a way in.

The circled around past a Home Depot and its exterior greenhouse to the back of the mall. There were more cars back here. Some of them looked almost new. One, a candy apple red Porsche looked like it had just been rolled off the lot. It was parked near the loading dock. There was a large roll up door and a single metal fire door on the dock, marked “Mall Personnel Onlyâ€

Mackenzie moved over towards that, "Maybe we can find a way in up there"

Marc walked towards the back of the mall and shook his head slowly. There was an itch between his shoulder blades, one not born of the fear that they were being watched, but spawned from a deep rooted lack of confidence, a concern that he had opened his mouth and would screw it up. "Let's try these," he sighed softly. The roll up door, first. but lacking anything even remotely resembling a delivery truck in the area made it doubtful. The Porch, however. maybe.

Walking up to the first door, the roll up one, Marc put his ear to it and listened. He didn’t hear anything inside.

Sabrina smiled, "Very nice. Now, I’ll just check the door," and she hoisted herself up, pulling up on the door to see if it was actually unlocked. It opened, and she stepped in and was immediately assailed by the rank stench of rotting flesh. Sabrina gagged, rushed to the edge of the loading dock and vomited most of what she’d eaten in the last day or so onto the rain soaked concrete. After the heaving passed, she wiped her mouth, spat trying to clear the bitter taste then gasped, "I think we'd better let it air out... and if you've got a weapon, get it ready."

John pulls out his pistol after Sabrina throws up.

Jack, spotting the group stops dead in his tracks and waits and watches to see if there are any others with her. Still not sure if she is a deadhead. Crouches down in the bushes, and waits. He begins looking around to see if there are any possible escape routes, or possible weapons. They seemed to be too active and they were talking. Deadheads didn’t talk…much.

Kuri sees the group circle towards the loading dock and follows them. Just as she sees them open a door and reel back from something unseen, she calls out to them, "Hey, you wanna tell me why you're breaking into my mall?"

Sabrina walked right up to Kuri, "It's not yours and nobody's broken anything. We're just looking for shelter." As she got close enough to make out details, she thought that her aggressive tone might have been a mistake. Kuri was slim but wiry woman with fit physique and clearly defined lean muscles, perhaps she was a gymnast or some of at professional athlete herself. Whatever she was she was also extremely beautiful even soaked to the bone by the pouring rain. Sabrina felt a bit self conscious and not a little competitive.

Kuri replies with a smirk, she liked the fire in this one. With people so paranoid or outright dangerous, she found it amusing to be confronted in such a manner. "I was here first, but I suppose I can share." her smile is playful and friendly. It's been a long time since Kuri had any kind of human company. She'd like to think that these people might be allies’ even if temporary ones.

Angie looked over, peering out into the pouring rain. Where the hell were all these people coming from?

Seeing and hearing the people, Jack realizes that they are "safe", but "safe" isn't necessarily good in this day and age. Nevertheless, he hasn't seen a living person in what seems like forever. He decides that it would be in his best interest to see if he can hookup with the group.

He slowly stands up out of the bushes and raising empty hands, palms forward, calls out to the group next to the loading dock in an accent that puts him squarely as being from the Bronx yet his vocabulary is definitely that of someone educated although his appearance says certainly not refined.

"Hello there. I was passing through and noticed that this was the new hangout of the living. Since I'm obviously living, would you mind another warm body in your group? I have skills that could be of service, and all I would ask in return is your company and a couple meals a day."

When this man steps into the open, Kuri takes up a defensive stance. She didn't like surprises, even handsome ones.

As the group looks over they notice his jet black hair somewhat disheveled, but somehow still looking groomed. His chiseled features are obviously of Mediterranean decent from a pearly white smile. His face only has a day’s worth of growth if that. The leather bomber jacket he is wearing looks authentic, and in good shape. The jeans and work boots he is wearing look worn, but still in one piece. The large duffel bag slung over his shoulder looks full, but not heavy.

“Let’s just get out of the rain,†Angie urged and pulled the jacket tighter around her.

"As soon as the loading dock's aired out - you saw how I lost my lunch, you want to lose yours?" Sabrina said

“I’ve seen worse. I’m a nurse.†Angie responded. “And I’m also cold and wet.â€

Mackienzie looked to the group, "The weather is horrid, there are zombies

out there and we are looking for shelter." she said trying to move in with

Angie. "We mean no harm and I'll help out too. I have skills that could be

quite useful"

After the group gathered near the reeking entrance and out of the rain, "You can call me Kuri, I'm only good at two things, and fighting is the other one." The Japanese girl announced.

Mackenzie fought rolling her eyes, "I'm Mackenzie and I used to be an er

doc," she said, "I try to patch and heal"

“I bet she can’t do the second with a mattress or knee pads.†Angie whispered to her sister.

"So do you know what the stench is?" Sabrina asked. From the roll-up toolkit she was carrying and the full-looking backpack, it didn't take much to figure out what her main stock in trade was.

Ignoring the ensuing catfight between Sabrina and the new comer (maybe it was something with Asian Chicks?) Marc pulled his pistol, and held it tightly in his right hand. His left dropped to the heavy flashlight on his belt, pulling it out and clicking it on at the same time. He crossed his left arm over to his right, letting his wrists rest together. The flashlight he angled forward, the pistol he held towards the floor. Looking towards the others, and hoping to avoid anything confrontational, he let the beam of light dance across the inside of the now open area, hoping for some idea of what was going on. He was hit with stink of rotting meat as well and had to swallow a mouthful of vomit. Trying to breath threw his mouth (though it didn’t help much), he peered into the loading dock. Inside he could hear flies buzzing, hundreds of them. Not surprising considering the god-awful stench but he didn’t see the source of it.

Jack walks forward out of the bushes and straight toward the door. "It sounds safe to me. By the way, whose Porsche is that? Does it work?" Smiling at Kuri, he nods toward her, and says "Would you mind if I went in?"

Giving Jack a smile, Kuri says, "Not at all, somebody has to go in first, might as well be the guys with guns."

John takes out his flashlight and holds it and his gun the same way that Marc is. He looks at Marc "My uh dad was an ex marine, he taught me almost everything he knew while I was growing up, at the time I didn’t think it would be much good for anything, but now Im glad he taught me what he did." He then grins and moves closer to the door. It did stink. It stank like 300 pounds of raw meat going bad. The flies instantly turned on the two men, crawling over their faces and necks, making them itch.

Waiting a few seconds before following, Kuri nearly gags on the horrid stench of the room. Tracking the light from the men, it isn't obvious what is causing the smell.

As a matter of caution, Kuri pulls out two of knives and goes to a defensive stance.

The loading dock area was fairly large and quite empty looking. The door opened on a raised section that ran along the wall to some stairs up to the back of the room over looking the parking area. There was another door there, sitting slightly ajar. On the other side of the room sat a covered metal dumper.

Marc flashed John an uneasy smile. Not uneasy because he disliked the other man, but uneasy because grinning around a mouthful of rotted meat - and that is what it tasted like he had in his mouth - was not all that pleasant a task. "My dad was a cop. Had been in the army. Worked with SWAT for awhile," the grin slid from his face, and he looked around slowly. "I'm gonna check the door. You check the dumpster. With any luck, maybe there's just some bad meat from one of the restaurants." He swatted the flies from his face, and slowly stepped inside.

He crossed over to the door. It opened into a hall way, one of service accessways that ran behind the stores in the mall. It stretched off to the left and the right with doors leading into some of the stores and the mall proper.

John gagged from the smell and flies and almost threw up but was able to stop himself. He started breathing thru his mouth to cut down on the smell, though it didn’t seem to help any. He nodded at Marc's suggestion and slowly made his way over to the dumpster to look inside, slowly moving his flashlight around the room on his way. The smell was worse the closer he got and once he opened the container he found way. Laying there in a tangled mass of rot blackened flesh there was at least two human bodies, crawling with maggots. A face, so decayed he couldn’t tell if it was male or female leered up at him, mouth yawning open in a silent scream. John jumped back, with short strangled gasp and immediately threw up, he couldn’t stop himself, but fortunately he didn’t get anything on himself though.

From the man's reaction, Kuri didn't have to know what was in the dumpster. It was fairly obvious that much of the smell and flies were coming from whatever was inside. She had seen enough over the past months to avoid any curiosity.

Jack enters the loading dock area holding his hand over his nose and mouth fighting back the urge to vomit, and looking around. He moves toward the back of the loading dock and starts looking around. There’s some debris (cigarette butts, what might be a…used condom) on the floor and some large dark brown stains near the middle of the floor and the dumpster.

After looking around for a bit, Jack heads back into the room proper and looks around at everyone in a inventorying fashion as if taking note of who is with whom and the general state of health and well-being that everyone is in. After making a few mental notes, he unzips his duffel bag and pulls out a large police issue flashlight, and turning it on moves to follow the two with guns.

Kuri returns Jack's gaze evenly and when he turns away, shrugs and starts to follow in his path

Mackenzie looked in at the stench. It was even a bit much for her. She looked, "Stay back Angie" she said trying not to laugh at her sister's joke.

Sabrina stayed near the entrance; this wasn't a job for her, not really.

Marc tried to stifle a cough, the hand holding the gun lifting to his face, the back of his hand covering his mouth. The smell was horrid. "This hall leads both ways," he stuck his head into the hall and quickly scanned both sides. "Looks like maintenance and delivery accesses to the stores. Might even manage to find a security office or something back here, get some keys."

Another cough slipped past his lips, and he paled slightly. "C'mon, Marc," he chastised himself silently, the words in his head coming more in his father's voice than his own, that firm, yet kind, voice trying to put a little starch into his spine. "Let's not puke in front of the pretty ladies and make ourselves into a total ass, yeah?"

Pulling his head back, he smiled weakly as he looked back over his shoulder, while still trying to listen for anything that might be coming their way. "What kind of lock is on the door we came in? We don't want anything following us in, but we might need to get out in a big damned hurry."

As Kuri reaches the door, she calls back, "Come on ladies, its better if we stick together. Besides, they have the lights and the guns." Seeing them pause, she sighs, "Come on, you know how it works, the hot chicks always get attacked when the guys go wandering around."

“Yeah, let’s get in,†Angie said quietly, sneezed and muttered a curse.

Sabrina thought about it, "Good point," and stepped in, trying to breathe as little as she could. Despite the stink it was good to get in out of the rain. The place cast in semi gloom, just the light from the two doors and the flash lights breaking the darkness. The woman found themselves instantly assaulted by flies once they stepped inside.

Mackenzie looked to Angie, "We'll be fine" she glanced to the men, "We always are"

"OK," Sabrina half-gasped, "once we're inside, we close and lock the door then never come in here again...

John nods towards Marc and starts walking towards the door, not trusting himself to not throw up again if he was to say anything.

Jack stops short of entering the hallway, and motions for the women to go past. As he waits, he pulls up the sleeves of his jacket exposing very well developed forearms, and then reaches into his duffel bag again, and pulls out an aluminum baseball bat, that has been "modified" with a metal sleeve welded around it and rests it on his shoulder. "After you, I'll keep on eye on our backside." he says with a smile and a wink.

Angie smirked, but kept her mouth shut. After all they were armed and safety in numbers and all that. She really hoped this place had an intact sporting goods store. She and Mac needed to get some firepower and fast.

"So," Marc said quietly as he stepped into the hall, looking slowly back and fourth. "Do we do the completely fucking stupid thing that always got my D&D groups killed and split up," he was so nervous that he hadn't even realized, at first, he had named himself a D&D geek. Great way to make impressions. Moron. On the trail of that thought, of course, was 'What the fuck does it matter?', and that was, again, followed by 'Moron'.

"Shite," he muttered to himself, hoping the stench would lessen the further they got from that room. "I'm fucking chastising myself for chastising myself." Looking back towards John, he sighed softly, his tongue running against the inside of his cheek. "We can cover more ground that way. You cut that way," he nodded towards the left, "and I'll head this way?" His head angled towards the right as he looked at his new companion speculatively.

They all heard something faintly. It sounded like…music.

John chuckles "Well we could split up and get us all killed like in my D&D games too, seem to be missing my +2 long sword though, but what the hell cover more ground if we do." John looks at Marc and grins. John looks down the left hallway and sees a small window and door leading in what must be the loading dock office. Across the hall from that is a door marked “Men†and a water fountain. He starts off to the left.

Sabrina turned her head side to side, trying to determine where it came from. "No splitting up. Not until we're sure this place is safe.â€

“I agree with her. One of us gets cut off. And those things are in here…†Angie said. She didn’t need to finish that statement. Not at all.

Mackenzie looked to her, "Well, I'm not leaving my sis no matter what" she said firmly.

"Never fear," Marc's grin was a little sickly, but it was still a grin. "You have Sirs Marc and John, protectors of the most sacred. mall to watch over you. And our trusty companion, wilder of the holy bat of hitting shit," Pondering the music he continued, "Could be automated music from the mall itself, on timers. Or from a store."

Mackenzie looked to Marc, "I'm.....sure" she said raising a brow. And when

you two get into trouble you have us to save your butts"

There was a complete deadpan look on Marc's face when he looked at Mackenzie. "Wouldn't be the first time a woman had to save Sir Marc's ass. His cousin, Lady Samantha, used to beat up bullies for him regularly. My younger cousin at that," he looked back down his way and shrugged. "Doors.," he rolled his shoulders a bit at John.

Reaching over his shoulder, he touched the hilt of the katana, and sighed. "Just pray I don't stab myself in the foot if it comes down to this. I haven't been keeping up with my workouts lately. Other things on my mind and all that," he nodded again, glad the darkness hid the color he felt on his cheeks "So," he looked at Mackenzie. She said she was a doctor or had it been a nurse either way, that ranked her a hell of a lot higher than a computer science major with a sword and cowboy fetish. "Pick a direction."

Mackienzie said to follow the rest of them to left. They should stick together. She wasn’t going to do that standard dumb ass horror movie shit.

John laughs at Marc's comment and then bows "Sir John at your service, unfortunately I’m not in my dwarven body at the moment so cant protect you as well right now, but I will do my best." John laughs and then realizes the women are staring at him and blushes.

"Looks like an office and bathroom down that way, what’s down your way Marc?" John asked.

John looked around. He saw another bathroom, the ladies room, and an unmarked door. Further down, he could see more doors and a t intersection.

Jack, following the group, chuckles at the comments of the others, and then realizes that that was the first time he had laughed in a very long time.

He follows the group to the intersection, and then waits as they work out which way they were going. Leaning against the wall, he took a deep breathe and let it out slowly. Resting the bat on the ground and leaning it against his leg, he rubbed his eyes, and pinched the bridge of his nose letting out a sigh. Those near him can hear him barely mumble to himself, "I am so tired." Opening his eyes, he looks around at the others, and continues to listen. The intersection led up to a door. It had writing on it but he couldn’t make it out from distance, but the music was become much clearer. “Don’t worry, be Happy….â€

Kuri gives the man a friendly punch in the shoulder,"Hey Jack, we'll look around a bit, find someplace safe, and then you can take a nap."

Jack smiled at Kuri with a grin.†Yes, sleep would be very nice."

"Hmm nice choice in music. Well guess we will go this way." They came up to the door. It said simply “Mall 1st floor†(like it was going to lead to the second floor?).

The beautiful Japanese woman pulls at her pony tail and tightens the cloth holding her hair. Being damp is no fun but she could put up with it for now. At least she was out of the rain and in fairly friendly company. Kuri picks up her knives and resumes following her gun toting companions.

Samantha looked at the door, "Let's go in... and hope for the best."

Jack, sighed, and picked up the bat resting it on his shoulder again, and dropped in behind the group as they headed down the hall.

How long had it been since he had been around other living and breathing people. It seemed like years since the last of his family were taken from him. Now he found himself with another group of people that could eventually be taken from him as well. He shuddered at the thought. He didn't have any intention of getting to close at this point. He was still young, but felt like he had already lived a lifetime. Yes, he would do what he could to protect those around him, as he had always done, but he wouldn't let himself get close. He couldn't afford it.

He had come to the conclusion that the party would probably be able to handle itself just fine. There were apparently a couple somewhat trained individuals with guns, a couple women that appeared to be able to take care of themselves, and at least one physician. A physician, how he wished that he could have found one sooner...

"Always hated the crowds at the mall, guess we wont have to worry about that now huh, hopefully anyway." John said to everyone while walking towards the door marked mall first floor.

Samantha looked at the door, "Let's go in... and hope for the best."

"I could use some real rest" Mackenzie sighed as she looked around, "Maybe we can find one of those stupid you are here maps to see what all this place has" she said looking around some as they walked. "A drug store would be great." she said looking at the door. "Or a place selling bedding with actual beds... maybe a macy's or somethin"

They stepped out into the mall concourse. In the empty building the music was surprisingly loud.

*Don’t worry…Be Happy, Don’t worry be Happy now!*

The rear entrance set to one side and they could see the front doors down the other way, past a four way interaction. The Oakdale galleria appeared to be lain out in a roughly cross shape from this perspective. The door they’d emerged from was right beside the cinemas. There were a few stores in this section: Richman's Jewelers, Game Stop, Claires Boutique. Nails and More Salon, Teen Boutique and a few vending stands in the middle of the concourse (Cookie Time and a Pretzel Twister).

*The Landlord say your rent is late. He may have to litigate, but don't worry. Be happy!*

As he enters the mall proper, Jack immediately looks for a mall map. "I hope there is a Sears in this place I need some tools. We all could stand to get some firearms as well."

"Since that music is playing this place has power at least. If I remember correctly, malls generally have their own substation since it's highly likely that we have a power station providing this place with power. Hopefully it is running on autopilot, but it's best to assume that power could go out any minute. So don't get comfortable just yet. There is a high likelihood that there are some Deadheads in here as well."

Sabrina looked around, "Let's find a directory, figure out where we can go to clean up. I don't know about you guys, but after that dock, I'm feeling foul."

“If this place is like every other mall in the world, the map will be near the front door.†Angie said, taking off her borrowed jacket. Her rain soaked blouse was almost transparent at this point. She clearly wasn’t wearing anything under it.

John looked up at the marquee for the movies and sighed "Well there’s some good movies we won’t ever see." He then looks at game stop and sighs again and mumbles "Some good games too." He then looks around the mall that they can see from the door.

“Hey why not? They are probably still in there. We just have to figure out how to operate the projectors. And maybe there’s a sun coast in this place.†Angie said, trying to sound chipper. The "You are here" directory was probably up by the front doors.

John looks at Angie and then quickly looks away again. He then starts moving slowly towards the front doors.

Marc's eyes widened when Angie pulled off her coat and he turned quickly, looking away, offering the young woman some privacy, his cheeks a little red as he blushed. "Probably be at every major intersection and most entrances." His muttering words were barely loud enough for anyone to hear. "If we can," he cleared his throat and looked around a bit. "If we can find the security office, I can probably get in and make sure the automatic locks won't disengage, see if there are any other safety things we've got to worry about."

Jack turns and looks at John and Angie, "I should be able to figure out the projectors, but unfortunately, I don't think we'll be having a leisure time until we get this place thoroughly checked out, and as secured as it can be. Also, we need to make sure that everyone travels with a buddy. I don't care if you are going to take a dump, shower, or nap, you need to have someone with you and watching your back. My concern right this second is that this place is still locked down, that means that when the world went crazy this place was still closed. However, there is a good chance people are already

in here, and they could be Deadheads or "normal", but either way they are our enemies until they prove otherwise. I'm especially interested in any security guards that could have been in here, they probably had guns."

"Well, let's go looking," Sabrina said. "And there's no reason we can't see movies, music means power. Power means movies, hot food, hot water for bathing, climate control." She wanted to find a hardware store and a Radio Shack, with those she could rig up an adaptor so her voltaic back could recharged cordless tool battery packs.

There was a directory the intersection just front of the entrance to Macy’s. The mall was laid out in a roughly X configuration with elevators to the second floor in the center. Ir was quite large and contained many stores on the first floor.

HECHTS

MACYS

SEARS

RITE AID

First Floor:

1- Richman's Jewlers

2- Game Stop

3- Claires Boutique

4- Nails and More Salon

5- Teen Boutique

6- Hobby Shop

7- Time Keepers

8- Banana Republic

9- Dollar Store

10- Motherhood

11- Drycleaner/Shoe repair

12- unoccupied

13- Chesapeake Knife and Tool

A- Forever 21

B- Athlete's Foot

C- Leather Shop

D- Suncoast Video

E- Candy Shop

F- Hallmark

G- Sunglass Hut

H- Water, Water, Everywhere

I- Franklin Mint

J- Disney Store

K- Silver and Gold Jewelers

L- Pretzel Time

M- B. Dalton Book Store

N- Gap/Gap Kids

O- Game Keeper

P- unoccupied

Q- Small's Formal Wear

Mackenzie smiled, "This is great" she said softly, "They have a rite aid. I can look in on medication" she said, "And there are places we can find food at and more clothes"

“Yes, we should all get some dry clothing. First thing. Getting sick would just drain any medical supplies this place might still have…and the store’s going to be pretty empty anyway unless they restocked during the Black Flu outbreak.†Angie said, hugging herself and shivering a bit. Near the center of the Mall the air conditioning was more effective and was kind of cold in soaked clothes.

"Who’s going with me to Sears? I think that should be stop number one so that we can get properly armed, and grab the gear we need."

John's eyes first went to the hobby store, game keeper and game stop on the map, "Can’t think of that stuff right now." he mumbled. "Chesapeake Knife and Tool looks good, but we need to check out the whole mall first and find the security office too like you said, and I agree let’s not split up."

Sabrina looked around, "OK, let's start with the obvious: Checking the main entrances, make sure they're locked down. Then we can check over the service entrances, make sure they're secure. Everyone stay together until that's done, that sound right? And maybe we shouldn't pussy foot. We don't need to be sneaky around Deadheads and we don't want to be sneaky with humans."

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Zombie Hero: Pt 1 The Oakdale Galleria

Not as long this time. Its been a slow few days. More potentially offensive language and violence this time

"Agreed, running into Deadheads would be a drag, but some living folks are almost as bad." Kuri said

"Sounds good to me," Marc nodded at Sabrina, smiling faintly, his eyes wandering around the rest of the mall that was visible. He glanced over at the map, looking for a security office. That was likely where they'd have maps. "Once we find security, we can also check for blueprints that show any other entrances and exits, loading docks, parking access, or whatever else." The security office seemed to be the second flood. There was an access to the parking garage across the mall on this floor.

Mackenzie nodded, "Sounds good, let's get dry clothes, secure everything and find supplies' she said nodding.

Checking entrances took some time as they moved as a group. There were the main and rear entrances, and the chain stores had their own individual doors. The Sears and Macy were locked down tight though. In fact, most of the stores still had their security grates down. Finding the security off could likely solve that problem and that meant going upstairs.

The group was just checking the Macy’s final side entrance when the first of them appeared. It had been male, but most of the face was gone, chewed and torn into a ragged mask of tattered meat. It only had a single eye and it leered at them in mindless hunger as it flailed against the glass, howling in rage smearing the door with blood and vicera, despite the pounding rain. One could make out the words of the bloodied shirt. “High on life!â€

With the first 'thump' of flesh on glass, Marc had jumped, his eyes wide, as he leveled his revolver at the glass. It was amazing he hadn't squeezed off a round or two. "Jesus H. Fuckin' christ!" He spat out, lowering the pistol. He shook his head and tried to calm down.

Angie screamed flat out, recoiling. In her mind she saw the glass shattering then the rotting thing tearing into them.

Mackenzie gasped seeing it. She slipped in front of her sister. "We have to watch out for them. Do you think it can break the glass? Maybe we should find something to block the door"

John jumps back and raises his gun but is able to stop himself from shooting. "Shit, we need to check that door though."

After she caught her breath and swallowed the rising scream, Kuri said, "I knew the peace couldn't last." Kuri sighs, "We have to do something about this one, he's going to break in eventually and best to know where he is than wonder about him later. Maybe 'bat-man' can let him in and the rest of us can eliminate him quietly?"

Samantha jerked back, and then checked that the entrance was in fact secure. High strength safety glass would probably hold against it... she hoped. Or she tried to, she couldn’t make her legs work or tear her eyes away from the dead thing staring threw the glass at her. It hit the glass again and it shuddered under the blow. Samantha squeaked, her bladder cut loose and sent urine running down her legs. She definitely needed new clothes. At the very least, she needed a fresh set of panties. But that wasn’t her primary concern right now. Every instinct, every nerve, was screaming at her to run.

"I uh don’t think it can get thru the glass." John said with a nervous laugh, he suddenly smelled urine but chose to ignore it. "Marc watch him I’m uh going to check the door." John slowly started walking up to the door. "We gotta see if there are more then just this one out there too."

Mackenzie frowned, "I don't know if I can kill it, I mean I..." she frowned.

The creature leered at John, drooling some foul black substance that smeared the glass as tried to press its body threw. He didn’t see any others out in the parking lot, thank God.

"We don't have to kill it...I mean its outside. if it could break the glass it would have done it already." Angie said, trying to control her breathing.

"That is possible" Mackenzie said looking to her.

“And if we break the glass, the others can come in…and there’s always more of them, right?â€

Sabrina screamed as something barreled into her from behind and wrapped her in a steely grip as it took her down to the carpeted floor. She couldn’t see it, but she could smell it. Rotting meat and human waste mingled into a nauseating cloud. The others jerked around in time to see the deadhead tackle the Chinese woman to ground, snarling and clawing at her with its filthy nails. It was dressed in the soiled remnants of a janitorial uniform. It was or used to be a man. Most of his scalp was missing revealing bare gleaming skull.

Talk about cliff hanger.

Here is a tip for you.

You write cool stuff but you should not let yourself run out of steam. I have seen many campain logs start out interesting but the fizzle out into nothing. Don't let that happen to you.

Did I mention that this is cool?

John turned from the door to the one on top of Sabrina. He raised his gun to shoot but then lowered it again because he wasn’t sure if he could get a shot or not without hitting her. "Quick! Use your bat and hit it!"

Coughing up a little bile, Kuri keeps her head and rushes to her companion’s aid; she drops her knives and tries to get a grip on the deadhead to pull it away. Locking her arms around the Deadhead’s neck, the wiry Japanese hauls with all her strength, but it won’t budge, or even cease its snarling attempts to sink its teeth into Sabrina’s flesh

Shocked out of her paralysis, Sabrina drove her elbow down at the head of thing around her waist (assuming its arms are around her waist); the problem with being a kickboxer was that you kind of needed to be standing up. The blow cracked down on top of the creature’s head with sharp snap, jerking its head to the side, but not seeming to slow it all.

Mackenzie drew back keeping her sister away from it. "Oh Lord" she snapped,

"Try to get away from the blasted thing.

“We have to get it off her!†Angie grabbed a display post and ran up the grapplers, looking for opening. “If she’s bitten…. Mackenzie grabbed a mannequin arm and swung it trying to knock the zombie

off

Sabrina heard that, and tried to pull her knee up sharply into the zombie's gut, hoping that even if it was dead, the force of the impact would at least jar it loose a little. It didn’t even seem to notice, didn’t even grunt.

John switches his gun to his left hand and pulls his knife out of its sheath and moves up to try and stab the zombie. He tried to aim low and minimize the danger to the grappling woman, sinking his knife the zombie’s thigh to no apparent effect except a gush of rotting blood.

Mackenzie cracked the creature across the back of the head, shattering the mannequin arm against its bare skull, cracking the naked bone and exposing a pink pulsating lump of meat within.

John sees the head split open and tries to stab it in the brain. "Hit it in the damn head hurry, don’t let it bite her." He swung for the head, but the creature jerked suddenly and his blow skittered off his head and sliced into Sabrina’s hand!

Sabrina screamed in pain, agony racing up her arm

Swearing Mackenzie tries to hit it again, clubbing it uselessly across the back, "Someone grab one of the metal pipes, it might work better" she said swinging away.

John falls back when he cuts Sabrina's hand and stares at her it for a second until he remembered what was going on.

The small of fresh blood filled the creature with a new fury and strained to sink its teeth into her Sabrina’s flesh. Only Kuri’s arm around her neck kept it back, but she couldn’t hold it forever.

Sabrina herself was doing her best to struggle free, and not get eaten! Fear, the need to live, perhaps the pain lent the young scientist a feral strength and she wrenched herself out of the deadhead’s clammy grip and scurried from. The creature lunged for her foot, dragging Kuri with it for a few feet, but its hand closed on empty air.

When Sabrina broke free John saw his chance to shoot it. He dropped the bloody knife, snatched out his pistol and fired nearly point blank into the creature, He missed. The bullet blew a hole in the carpet beside the creature’s head.

Sabrina looked around for anything she could use to smash the deadhead's head in with - after all, everything died if you smashed its head, right? Even dead things, she hoped. She saw a piece of rack, lying under some nearby clothing….

Kuri renews her grip on the foul creature. The nauseating stench brings her to tears but she knows it would be a mistake to let it go.

Sabrina’s hand was bleeding badly. Combined with the fear and pain, she felt a little faint.

John quickly pulls the trigger again as Kuri jerked the creature up. The wild shot struck the dead thing in the center of its chest, slowing it not at all,

Mackenzie gasped watching them. She'd have to tend to Sabrina, but it wasn't safe yet. That thing was still attacking them. She moved trying to stay between it and Sabrina.

The creature shook off Kuri, the deadhead swung at John lunging for him…

"Shit" Mackenzie swore, "How do you stop those damn things?"

Sabrina scrambled over to the section of rack and grabbed it in her blood slick hands.

Hauling herself to feet, Kuri draws her twin fighting sticks and smashed them into the deadhead’s skull with a frightful cry, putting all she had behind the twin metal shot clubs. The bone crunched and collapsed, spraying John with gore and the zombie dropped like a puppet with its string cut and lay there twitching and jerking for a few seconds before it lie still.

Sabrina sank to her knees, "Someone get a first aid kit... please."

"I have some" she said looking to her, "I can help" she tried to see where the injuries were. The other woman’s hand was slashed open and bleeding badly.

Mackenzie winced looking it over, "We have to apply direct pressure and we have to raise your hands up." she said softly. She started to reach in her bag for first aid supplies, pulling out some gauze and bandages.

Sabrina nodded, face tight with pain, and held out her hand for

Mackenzie. The former nurse started bandaging her wounded companion, getting the bleeding under control with a pressure bandage. She wished she had something to do some decent sutures, but this would have to do for now.

John quickly started backing up when the thing started coming for him. He’d started to raise his weapon to fire again when Kuri killed it with the clubs. He blinked as the gore went all over him. "Holy shit" he barely got out before realizing what was on him and

started throwing up, which wasn’t much to throw up since he hadn’t eaten since the last time. He falls to his knees gagging and retching. He saw one of the thing's eyes laying on the floor, staring up at him. Oh God...

John quickly scrambles back and starts retching again, but now it was pretty much dry heaves. "Oh god, get me a towel or something so I can get this stuff off myface." He barely whispered.

Angie walked over to him and put her arm around his shoulder. “Come on, we’ll get you something. Its ok.†She said soothingly.

John looked up at Angie and then quickly back down at the floor. "Is she hurt bad? I didn’t mean to cut her, I wasn’t trying to, and really I wasn’t." Even with all that had happened he felt his face starting to flush from blushing at Angie having her arm around his shoulder. John slowly started standing up and when he was up started shaking.

“Its all right,†she took him over to one of the clothes racks and took a skirt (she didn’t like it) and started wiping his mouth and nose. “We’re all right. My sister is going to patch her up. Everything is going to be-“

â€Freeze you sons of bitches!†a gruff male voice barked. The speaker, a mustached man in a security guard outfit, stood a few feet away down the aisle, pointing a gun at them in a shooter’s stance. Another, fatter guard stood a little behind with a shotgun against his chest. “What the fuck do you think you’re doin’ in here!?â€

Nexus, are you running all of this via email or is there a website to check out?

And just how many games are you runnin', man? Where do you find the time?

Its via email. I just thought I'd post a few of the logs to show off my players work. They're really made the game fun.

And I have a medical condition that gives me alot of free time and not much energy to do much but sit here and type. :)

Guest WhammeWhamme

Its via email. I just thought I'd post a few of the logs to show off my players work. They're really made the game fun.

And I have a medical condition that gives me alot of free time and not much energy to do much but sit here and type. :)

So, uh, how many games DO you run? To the nearest ten, if nothing else.

Sabrina's fear, stress, pain and exhaustion all came together in pure anger. "What do you *think* we're doing, you gun-happy moron? Looking for food, clothes, shelter! We've just killed a deadhead, in case it slipped your miniscule notice, and there's another one outside that door!" She gestured toward it with her good hand, "So drop the macho act and do something useful! You can start by putting the gun away and getting some proper medical supplies!"

“I don’t think you got a clear picture of just what’s going on here.†He replied with a snarl. “Far as I’m concerned, I see a bunch of looters and trespassers and I’m thinking you can go right back out where you came from.â€

“Jeb,†the fat guy said in tremulous voice. “Come on, now. Those things are getting together out there. Look.†Indeed there were two more now, a former woman in a blood black dress missing the left side of her face and a girl in bicycle shorts and a tube top with her throat torn out ambling their way towards the door threw the rain. “We can’t send ‘em out there. It wouldn’t be right.â€

“Shut up!†he snapped not taking his eyes off the group or lowering the gun.

John froze when the security guard shouted at them and then continued wiping his face off. "What the hell you still doing your job for? Almost everyone is either dead or a deadhead now, what’s left to guard? Mr. big bad mall security guard." As he is wiping his face off he casually lowers his hand to rest above his handgun.

“Shut the fuck up!†he snapped again, switching the gun to John. “Get your hand away from that gun or I WILL shoot your ass, you got that?â€

So what are you going to do?" she demanded, getting up slowly. "Shoot us? That'll hurt us, but we'll kill you in return. Call the cops? Maybe it's managed to miss your tiny little brain, but there aren't any cops left to call! The mall's owners are dead, the merchants are dead! Even if they were alive, it's called 'defense of necessity.' We must have what's here to survive, and that is not a crime! So either you're a law-abiding police auxiliary, in which case you have no legal authority to shoot, or you're a gun-waving thug, in which case we have no reason to respect you."

“This is all the respect I need.†He leveled the gun at Sabrina head. “You got 3 seconds to get your ass back down on the floor and the rest of you drop those fucking guns! Unless this bitch can bounce bullets with that smart mouth, you’ll be washing off her brains!†And he meant it. That much was clear.

Angie whimpered. “Oh God, listen to him. He’ll do it!â€

"Sir, please..." Mackenzie said looking to him, "We came here for shelter.

From the rain... from those.... those poor people" was all she could say,

"Please sir...." she said.

“Listen to the lady. She’s smart.†Jeb said.

John moves his hand back away from his gun. He looks around at the others to see what they are doing. "Hey Jeb, We could use all the help we can get, and that includes you two too."

Addressing her companions Kuri says "All right guys, let's listen to these gentlemen and leave the way we came. I don't want to see anybody get hurt, and even if it's cold and wet outside, it's better than being dead." She crosses and rubs her arms a little, emphasizing a nice bit of cleavage and more through her still wet white linen shirt.

She tries to usher her friends forward while remaining behind so she can have a word with the security guards. "You fine gentlemen wouldn't happen to have something you could maybe share with just me would you? I'm not asking for much, just maybe you know, something warm...or something to eat?" She cranks up the heat and uses every skill she knows to appear non-threatening and sexy. "Maybe we can, uh...make a trade of some kind."

Jeb thinks about it a second. “Maybe we can do something at that, first you all put down those guns…slowly and kick them over here.†He didn’t lower his weapon.

The fat guy nodded. “Yeah, we got plenty of stuff here, Jeb. We can give them something, right?â€

Mackenzie held her hands out, "I have no weapons. I'm ... well I was an ER doctor..." she said looking to him, "We don't want any harm. We were just trying to see if this place was safe. We got caught in the down pour. We can try to work something out so it’s mutually beneficial, just please... put down the gun"

“This is my territory. You drop your guns and we’ll talk.â€

Sabrina took a long step back, not quickly enough to startle him, she hoped. This guy was scary, really scary, scary in a completely different way than the deadheads. Deadheads were a simple, predictable thing, a physical danger you could deal with. But "Jeb" was something else, a complete madman, stuck in his own little world of "I'm the boss" and completely unpredictable.

Kuri starts to saunter closer to the security guards, undoing her belts as she goes, "Look, John's not going to give you a good rate if you aren't friendly, he's just trying to protect his merchandise...you know? She smiles, "We'll just take care of business, make a little trade, and be on our way."

John looks at the guards and back at Mackenzie "So let me get this straight, we drop all our guns so we are defenseless, and you two are the only ones armed, that way you can do what you want with us and don’t have to worry about being shot? I don’t think so, hell no. I will not drop my guns, and I won’t be pulling them on you right now, so why don’t you drop your damn guns."

“All right.†Jeb fired, twice. The slugs hit high, spinning John half around. The pain was dull and hot, but he felt strangely numb, the burning centered on his chest and right shoulder, radiating outward.

“Shit, Jeb, what the hell are you doin’?!†the other guard shouted, taking a step backwards.

“Shot ‘em dipshit!†Jeb shouted back, turning the gun towards the approaching Kuri.

Mackenzie gasped, "Whoa... please... no...' she said her hands up. "John" she said looking over. "Please... I... stop fighting... let me help him. Please... I want to help him" Angie froze torn between trying to help John and terror of being shot.

Oh crud... that changed everything, Sabrina ran for some kind of cover, ducking into the clothing racks.

John fell to the ground "Holy shit" he said barely above a whisper. He tried to sit up using his right arm but fell back. "You fucking shot me you asshole." "Shit"

“EVERYBODY STOP! STOP IT FOR FUCK’S SAKE!†Marc shouted, throwing down his gun. “We’re going to kill each other before those things even get the chance. All right,†he stooped, putting his pistol on the floor. “I’ve put the gun down. None of the others are armed, ok? Please…you want us to go. We’ll go, just stop before someone gets killed….â€

Jeb paused, “You get back.†He motioned to Kuri,†and tell the chink to get her ass back out where I can see her. NOW!â€

Upon seeing the security guards open fire, Kuri screams and shouts at the guards, "Oh my god no! you can't do this! What are you doing?" Pretending to sob and cry, she tries to close the distance on the men.

“I SAID GET BACK! Jesse, get the others down here now. Get on it!†he shouted at the fat guy, startling him out of his shock. The other guard seemed on the verge of panic as he fumbled for his walkie talkie.

“Is that guy gonna die, Jeb? Oh shit…we’re gonna go to jail…or he’s gonna change into one of those things, oh shit, oh shit,†he was stammering even when he spoke into the radio, â€Murphy, you and Allen get down here….right now.â€

Sabrina straightened up from her previous position, behind to his side, "I'm right here." Chink... oh great. Racist, sexist, and stupid - of course they did tend to go together.

Mackenzie knew what she had to do. "Back up Kuri.... Sabrina just move so he can see you" she instructed. She had to stay in control of this. She looked over, "I am Doctor Mackenzie Simons and I have to go help him". "I am going to walk over to the man you shot and try to help him. I have no guns, but please... let me help him so he doesn't die" she said looking to the one with the gun as she started to move to John, "I'll even push his gun away from him, but please... if he looses too much blood he'll die. I have to work quickly because we don't have any safe hospitals"

“You heard her, Jeb,:†Jesse said. “he’s gonna die. You killed him.â€

“Get over there with the rest of them. You, stop squirming!†he pointed the gun at John. “Fuck yeah, I killed him and I’ll kill all these fuckers if they keep it up!â€

â€Wait, wait, please..he’s shot…he’s bleeding out. Let us help him.†Angie murmured, taking a step towards the injured man.

“Fine, you and the other doc look at him. But the rest of you. Down on the floor, face down, arms behind your backs. You got until three! Jesse, cover ‘em. 1….â€

Jeb... Must... Die..

Sounds like the game is just getting better.

Although I'm a little surprised the heroes gave up so easy when they sounded so confident to begin with.

You could hear that someone had been reading the damage lists in the hero book. (hmm that gun is probably a .38 or 9mm so he can't possible kill us on one shot...)

Off course the fat guy with the shotgun makes the difference. (They always do.)

But that is what makes reading stories based on rpg games better than just if one author wrote it alone, you just never know what the characters will do.

Mackenzie was used to bad situations. She had even been in a hostage situation at the hospital once. She just had to maintain control, "Everyone, do as he says" she said looking back to the others quickly before moving to John. "We don't need any more of us shot" she said moving over towards him

Kuri complies with Jeb's request, still sniffling "What is the matter with you people? You can't just shoot people like that; we weren't going to hurt you or anything." All lies, but the guards didn't know that. She knew she just had to wait for the right opportunity to kick somebody's teeth in.

. Mackenzie quickly knelt down besides him sliding the gun away from them as she said she would, "John, I'm gonna try to help, but it might hurt" she said drawing her pack down starting to dig into it for her first aid supplies. She looked over to the pair, "I guess it'd be too much to ask someone to get bandages from the drug store that's in here, wouldn't it?" she said looking up for a moment before gazing down and assessing his injuries. He was hurt, hurt very badly and she didn’t even have the right equipment for digging bullets out of someone. She could tell John was on the verge of losing consciousness and there was a lot of blood.

â€All right, hit the deck, China girl,†Jeb barked at Sabrina, but she was a bit distracted away from his gun by the lurching THING that had just stumbled around the a corner down the aisle behind the fat guard and was rapidly making it way towards them!

Sabrina pointed in the correct direction, "Deadhead... " and didn't even consider trying to hide her fear.

The fat guy didn’t budge. “Don’t try to tri- AAAAARGH!†Blood fountained as the Deadhead sank its teeth into neck from behind. “OH GOD HELP ME!†he screamed, quickly hauled down, the shot gun going off once as he fell, shattering the door glass….

Jeb whirled and fired his pistol wildly at the attacking zombie. Outside the other creatures scrambled, trying to press threw the hole in the door. One fell half way inside, glass cutting into its guts as it scrambled to pull itself threw to the warm living flesh inside….

Sabrina recovered quickly, "Is there a gate we can pull down?" she demanded of Jeb who was already taking off, running by his dying companion without a backwards glance. The zombie tore into the twitching fat man’s neck and shoulders, greedily devouring as much meat as it could stuff into its mouth.

Mackenzie looked to them, "We have to move fast now. Quick" she looked

over, "Get the guns, get the dead head away and find a way to block that

door" she snapped. "He's hurt bad, I gotta try" she said, "Does someone

have a pocket knife or somethin?"

Marc turned to the door, then looked after Jeb. “We gotta stop him, if there’s a gate he’s going to lock us in here!†With that he took off after the security guard, fumbling with his gun.

"You know, I KNEW something like that was going to happen. Stupid ass rent-a-cops. If they just listened to me and wanted to get laid, everything would have been fine, but NooOOooo." Kuri gets to her feet and gathers her fighting sticks, preparing for battle.

Sabrina dashed over to Mackenzie and unrolled her toolkit, "I'm pretty sure I have a couple of utility knives at least."

John looks up at Mackenzie and whispers "Don’t let them get me, kill me if it looks like they will get me"

Mackenzie gasped, "Holy shit" she murmured, she shouted to Kuri "Keep us safe, I'm gonna try to save him" she continued trying to work on him.

Further off in the store, two gun shots rang out.

The first Deadhead was through and getting to its feet, heedless of the shards of glass lodged in its belly and legs. The creature snarled and lunged for Kuri….

Guest Skaramine

I know it's kind of late to say...

But MacKenzie might know that shooting the pelvis will destroy the creature's ability to walk, given a sufficient-sized weapon (rifle, .45, shotgun). It won't kill them, but robbed of most of its speed, it'll be slightly less dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...