Inspirational Reading

Steve Long

Re: Inspirational Reading

I'll mention the Connollys, John Connolly and Michael Connelly.

The latter has as hero the police officer Hieronymous Bosch. The books cover LAPD detective Bosch and his fracturous relationships with everyone including Internal Affairs.

The former has a former police officer whose family are murdered by a serial killer. He is haunted by the spirits of the dead. It is really strong stuff. In part enlightened by two of the supporting cast. One is a sleazy, stout, Italian burgler. The other is his lover a black, smooth, sophisticated assassin. Yup this is an odd twosome. The assassin is a man just to clear that up.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second the recommendation for Alistair Maclean, "The Master of Suspense." I WOULD recommend his World War Two books, H.M.S. Ulysses, South By Java Head, The Guns of Navarone, and so on.

And for chilling spy adventures, try his The Satan Bug. STILL one of the best thrillers around. I've read my Fawcett paperback editions of these books until the covers are falling off.

Maclean set a new standard for the action/adventure/spy thriller. Very few authors, even today, can write a story like the master.

Hi Guys,

Just to take you slightly off subject, what about comics?

Queen & Country published by Oni Press.

The Losers on the Vertigo imprint.

Sin City? maybe blurs the line between DC and pulp.

Just some thoughts, I'll post more when I can think of them. :bmk:

Absolutely: Add 100 Bullets to the above list... then for realy Dark CHAMPIONS (gritty, but with superstuff)... the top of these are Sleeper and DC's Bloodhound. Both incredibly hardboiled and/or noir. DC's new Manhunter is also pretty good. In fact, these are the kind of comics I read, now. No more Bats and Supes and JLA... no more Avengers (since the awful destruction of them)... I'm looking at the stack of comics that just have ready to file away... and even the really Supers level stuff is dark. Supreme Power and Wanted... Planetary..

Check out Steve Gerber's Hard Time... for a crime comic with a real twist.

Ooh... Gotham Central... cops in a supers world. Deadshot... exploration of a supervillain done REALLY well by new writer Gage.

Bendis' Powers... again, cops in a supersworld. Truly the epitome of Dark Champions, IMO. (Anything without supers, I consider Danger International... 'cause I'm an old fogey!)

How about Garth Ennis' 303? A military conspiracy comic from Avatar?

Lots of good Dark Champions stuff out there... most of it a far cry for the god-awful '80s an '90s Punisher stuff.

With all the talk about Burke, I'd just like to point out Vachss' Cross stories (some can be found in the Born Bad story collection). Basically, it's about a team of "urban mercenaries" and the various bits of nastiness that they get themselves into. I believe that there are comic/graphic novel adaptations of at some of the Cross material as well. I've always felt that both Burke and Cross were filled with good material (both plot and character) for roleplaying, assuming you can see past the griminess of the urban jungles they portray.

I'd also like to put in a word for F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack. I haven't read much of the newer material about him, but the first time I read a Repairman Jack story (in an anthology called Stalker, or maybe Predators) I said "I want to play this guy." These stories do generally have supernatural/s-f horror elements to them, but the character could probably work just as well in a good, dark, gritty urban action campaign.

David

I've got to agree Gotham Central is great. Sort of DC:The Animated Series from a "normal" pov. How the hell does a cop on the beat deal with The Joker?!

Also Powers, what can I say, perhaps the most refreshing title in the last decade. It's amazing how many people haven't checked that out!

100 Bullets I've never read, but Brian Azzarello is a great scribe.

I wanted to mention Supreme Power first off, but wasn't sure if it fit the genre. Power levels are very high but I suppose it does have that grim shadow of betrayal and exploitation hanging over it. :sneaky:

Wanted also looked like fun, perhaps pick up a collected when it's published.

Wanted also looked like fun, perhaps pick up a collected when it's published.

Wanted is actually Millar at his worst. It is an arrogant "f*** you!" to the comic reader. The only reason I bought it was the JG Jones art. It actually had a decent premise... but as with Millar's Authority it just shows his basic misanthropy, and comes through like someone who never got over being picked on in Junior High (or whatever the UK equivalent of Junior High might be).

The final page of the series is pure meanness. I get the idea that Millar's mum didn't love him enough.

Still, the idea of villains having "won" and eliminated all supers is intriguing, and made for very, VERY, Dark not-so Champions.

Neil, I have actually subscribed to Bloodhound on your suggestion of the title. I had a look on the DC website after you had mentioned it and the comic store I subscribe with has all of the issues at a reasonable price. It looks like another great series that is very relevant to the topic being discussed. Cheers mate! :)

for more of a supernatural bent and a bit of humor, Nick Pollotta's Bureau 13 novels which are based on the RPG are a lot fun, the puns fly almost as fast as the bullets

I havent run it as a campaign or anything, but Callahans Crosstime Saloon exists in my campaigns, not always in the wilds of suffolk county, but Callahans and Lady Sallys are both there to be found, having been a fan of Spider Robinson since high school, and one of the denizens of alt.callahans and the #callahans IRC channel

Neil' date=' I have actually subscribed to Bloodhound on your suggestion of the title. I had a look on the DC website after you had mentioned it and the comic store I subscribe with has all of the issues at a reasonable price. It looks like another great series that is very relevant to the topic being discussed. Cheers mate! :)[/quote']

Cool... I hope you like it. Can seem quite mild... and then get very raw. Very much a crime/action/drama with paranormal abilities thrown in.

If you ever decide to read 100 Bullets, do it through GNs. The stories are sometimes puposefully obscure, and while I like Risso's art, the characters start to all look alike and after twenty issues you might be like, "Now... who is this blonde bloke again?" Still an amazing read.

Enjoy!

Has anyone read any of the 'Jack Reacher' novels by Lee Child?

I am not holding them up as classical literature, but they are a decent read that could give you some ideas for a fairly realistic DC campaign.

No magic or monsters, the protagonist is an ex-MP who decided to travel the country when his time was served.

He is a genuinely smart, tough guy, who ends up involved in things out of a basic desire to do the right thing.

He does present a character who is a little "better" than a standard-issue human, without going anywhere near "super" territory.

The first novel is Killing Floor (which I haven't read yet).

I have read most of the rest of them, and like them fairly well.

If you have nothing better to do, pick one up at your local library.

KA.

(How's that for some mild praise? :) )

Australian author Matthew Reiley has done several books that would fit well. Especially the ones based around Scarecrow.

They are full of comic book over the top action and characters. Just a shame he really knows nothing about the guns and gear he gives his characters (something he openly admits too).

Well, this is where I'd post a big THANK YOU

big, get it?

to Steve for bringing a few books to DDC for me. Thanks for being so thoughtful! Now when Keith goes to a bookstore to pick up new copies of the books you gave him but he can't find, I'll read them and tell you what I thought!

Fortunately for him it was a "no fault" weekend. He had fun, that's all that counts!

Glad you got the books OK' date=' Susan -- I'm sure you'll enjoy 'em! ;)[/quote']

What Susan was trying to tell you in her previous post was that the books you so graciously brought 3000 miles for her were stupidly misplaced by her cheese-brained husband. I couldn't find them anywhere when packing to leave the con. Likewise, I left the plushie toys I bought for her and my daughter in the game room for Derek's CotSF game.

These were two of a long string of tiny brain malfunctions this weekend. I feel really really old.

Keith "uhhh.. oh yeah!--" Curtis

PS. Steve, thanks for the books anyway. I'll find local copies to replace them.

Joseph Wambaugh has written several books that could be good for a GM planning a law enforcement campaign, of the top of my head he has written the Onion Field about the kidnapping and murder of a police officer outside Bakersfield, CA and Lines & Shadows based around a police unit trying to reduce criminals preying on illegal immigrants along the California / Mexico border. He also wrote many episodes of the old TV series Police Story which if you can find it on late night TV can be another good source of ideas.

on the more militant side

Dogs of war, Fredrick Forsyth. This is a fairly realistic (supposedly) portrayal of a mercenary action in Africa. The book is much more realistic than the movie of the same name, although the movie isn't bad overall.

Blackhawk down & Killing Pablo, Mark Bowden. Ok, these are not fiction but both would be good material for setting up a DC military or paramilitary campaign. Blackhawk down you are probably familar with, the book gets into far more detail than the movie. Killing Pablo looks at the US involvement to fight Columbian drug lord Pablo Escobar, the history channel has done good shows on both of these for those who don't want to read.

WEB Griffon has several series of books, I've only read his Soldier, spies series that follows a group of WW2 OSS operatives but he has series based around law enforcement and modern military as well.

Not a book but Uncommon valor is a decent movie showing ex-military personnel setting up a mission for personal reasons (rescuing POW's in Vietnam), unlike most of the movies with similar themes it is done quite "realistically" and was actually loosely based on an actual planned operation. This was clearly the inspiration for Here there be Tigers, a module for Espionage by Kevin Dockery.

Richard Prestons The Hot Zone and The Cobra Event, the Hot Zone is not fiction but is a pretty scary look at biological agents and actual events, it is written in a novelish way. The Cobra Event is fiction based on a biological attack on New York, it follows a group of CDC investigators tracking the infection, think of the movie Outbreak but a lot less Hollywood.

Larry Bond is a less known techno-thriller writer along the lines of Tom Clancy.

Has anyone read any of the 'Jack Reacher' novels by Lee Child?

I am not holding them up as classical literature, but they are a decent read that could give you some ideas for a fairly realistic DC campaign.

No magic or monsters, the protagonist is an ex-MP who decided to travel the country when his time was served.

He is a genuinely smart, tough guy, who ends up involved in things out of a basic desire to do the right thing.

He does present a character who is a little "better" than a standard-issue human, without going anywhere near "super" territory.

The first novel is Killing Floor (which I haven't read yet).

I have read most of the rest of them, and like them fairly well.

If you have nothing better to do, pick one up at your local library.

KA.

(How's that for some mild praise? :) )

I have only read Killing Floor and while I enjoyed the style and pacing... the ending is so over the top that I never read any others... though I own three or four. Kind of like the old Alex Delaware novels... started out as well done thrillers about child abuse and such... but each successive novel seemd to have to have a bigger and bigger "Bondian" ending, that I just gave up.

One of the reasons I really liked the Jane Whitefield novels I mentioned previously (by Thomas Perry) is that despite the high tension, and "better-than-average" heroine... the endings were often quite low key... even the violent endings being relatively realistic.

I have only read Killing Floor and while I enjoyed the style and pacing... the ending is so over the top that I never read any others... though I own three or four. Kind of like the old Alex Delaware novels... started out as well done thrillers about child abuse and such... but each successive novel seemd to have to have a bigger and bigger "Bondian" ending, that I just gave up.

One of the reasons I really liked the Jane Whitefield novels I mentioned previously (by Thomas Perry) is that despite the high tension, and "better-than-average" heroine... the endings were often quite low key... even the violent endings being relatively realistic.

Thanks for the comments. :)

As I said, they definitely have their flaws.

I may feel the exact same way you do about "Killing Floor" if I ever get around to reading it.

Or, it could be that the author got better as he went along.

I will check out the books you recommended. They sound like they may accomplish what the 'Jack Reacher' author was trying to do, just a bit more sucessfully.

I will say that I don't usually demand strict realism, either in fiction or campaigns, because the real world is where I spend my non-leisure time.

I prefer spending my leisure time in an environment where things come out 'right' a little more often than is statistically reasonable. ;)

Of course, that may explain why I usually stick to the four-color genre. :D

KA.

Thanks for the comments. :)

As I said, they definitely have their flaws.

I may feel the exact same way you do about "Killing Floor" if I ever get around to reading it.

Or, it could be that the author got better as he went along.

I will check out the books you recommended. They sound like they may accomplish what the 'Jack Reacher' author was trying to do, just a bit more sucessfully.

I will say that I don't usually demand strict realism, either in fiction or campaigns, because the real world is where I spend my non-leisure time.

I prefer spending my leisure time in an environment where things come out 'right' a little more often than is statistically reasonable. ;)

Of course, that may explain why I usually stick to the four-color genre. :D

KA.

It's not necessarily about right or wrong... as much as a relatively realistic investigation/police prodedural/on-the-run plot suddenly taking a turn into the realm of absurd "ninjas invading the villains lair" kind of ending. While not quite that cheesy, the final scene of Killing Floor is so bizarre in some ways as to leave me feeling like, "What the heck was that?"

Yeah... reality is actually pretty dull... but interesting and dramatic doesn't have to be ridiculous. YMMV.

Wanted is actually Millar at his worst. It is an arrogant "f*** you!" to the comic reader. The only reason I bought it was the JG Jones art. It actually had a decent premise... but as with Millar's Authority it just shows his basic misanthropy, and comes through like someone who never got over being picked on in Junior High (or whatever the UK equivalent of Junior High might be).

The final page of the series is pure meanness. I get the idea that Millar's mum didn't love him enough.

Still, the idea of villains having "won" and eliminated all supers is intriguing, and made for very, VERY, Dark not-so Champions.

I was into this series right up until the last issue. Apparently, I am the exact type of person that Millar was trying to get at with his snide commentary on comics fandom. I thought that he had some clever conceits running through the series, and was actually enjoying what I thought was a good running the joke. Then I figured out that I wasn't laughing along with him, but that I was in fact the butt of the joke. A joke that was not really that funny or original. I thought The Pro was funnier in that aspect because it allowed you to laugh at yourself and the characters at the same time. When I saw how Millar ended Wanted, I wondered if he had just gotten tired of writing the damn thing and quit. On second thought, I realized that he was saying, "All you guys who read my work are idiots who need to find something else to do with your free time." Probably not totally untrue, but sort of a weird way to sell books and stay employed as a comics writer.

Back on topic:

I know that it isn't reading, but the HBO series The Wire would make excellent DC fodder. If you haven't seen it yet, please check it out. I am really thinking about writing up character sheets for Omar and Brother Mouzone. They would both make great walk-ons in a realistic DC campaign, or even a DC: TAS with a little tinkering.

For comics try The Losers or 100 Bullets from DC. I've read some really good issues of both of those books.

The campaign I am currently running is a dark Super's group but on a much larger scale than street vigilantism. I am trying to give it a

Authority, Ultimates, Powers feel. I find the DC book a great resource for skills and feel for the campaign.

As for other influences I think would be helpful to a DC game would be

Books by Philip K. Dick (Blade runner, Scanner Darkly and a host of others Hollywood is now turning into movies)

Along with Raymond Chandler, I suggest Ross Macdonald and James Ellroy.

All three deal with Los Angelos of the 40's and 50's but there is a nice dark gritty feel to their work. Especially Ellroy's "White Jazz".

I am reading a series of books currently by Jasper Fforde that aren't your typical Dark Crime scenario but I don't know where to classify it.

It feels like the off beat television program "The Avengers" but it has gritty elements to it. Hard to nail down but if anyone is looking for something off beat and different. Check out "The Eyre Affair" and its sequels following the adventures of Thursday Next.

I mention it only due to the versatility of the Champions system and that the book deals with Special Ops groups, Alternate Histories, Vampires, Criminal Masterminds and fantastic science.

Anyone ever see the Movie "Remo Williams: The adventure begins" ?

Its based on a series of books by Richard Sapir & Warren Murphy.

A Police Officer who's life is stripped away by a covert Intelligence agency

called CURE. He is retrained by Chiun Master of an ancient form of Korean Martial arts known as Sinanju. He is a one many army vs. Crime. He is

"The Destroyer". Fun little series of books. Why no one has turned it into a T.V. show I'll have no idea.

Speaking of Television...I posted it in another section but I recommend

The Television program "MI-5" (Its known as "Spooks" in England)

Outstanding show. Deals with the British Agency charged with protecting

England from Terrorists. Its on A&E Saturdays @10:00PM Eastern time.