Another gun that makes even ME go "WHY?"

gewing

The new .460 S&W magnum. It is ONLY in the monster revolver they made for the .500, and it is a lenghtened .454 casull, basically. It can use .45 Colt OR .454 CASULL as "REDUCED LOADS"!!!

It generates 65,000 PSI chamber pressure, and drives a 200 grain bullet at 2200 FPS!!! out of a bloody pistol!

That pressure is so high you can't put it in most lever action rifles. :nonp:

wow.

Re: Another gun that makes even ME go "WHY?"

Here's a page on the .460 round... interesting that it is actually a .45 in diameter...

... do they call it .460 to keep somebody from trying to load it in their USP or something?

Don't know enough about ammunition design... but is all that extra case length to hold more powder... creating a larger charge and more PSI?

http://www.sskindustries.com/460.htm

and you have to admit' date=' even a 'grazing hit' from this would make someone take a few moments to contemplate life.[/quote']

I have the funny feeling that all someone would have to do is *show* this gun to me and I'd be contemplating not only life, but a clean set of drawers.

:eek: ...plotz.

and the obvious question to come next is. . .

what damage would this gun do in hero terms?

I would rate it at 2d6+1 RKA...

I think the site says that it can also fire .45 and .454 rounds, not that the ammo designed for it would be .45...

Yes, yes, and yes. :)

Here's a page on the .460 round... interesting that it is actually a .45 in diameter...

... do they call it .460 to keep somebody from trying to load it in their USP or something?

Don't know enough about ammunition design... but is all that extra case length to hold more powder... creating a larger charge and more PSI?

http://www.sskindustries.com/460.htm

Of the top of my head, the .454 casull is about 2 times as powerful as a .44 magnum.

This is more powerful yet...

I would rate it at 2d6+1 RKA...

I think the site says that it can also fire .45 and .454 rounds, not that the ammo designed for it would be .45...

Of the top of my head, the .454 casull is about 2 times as powerful as a .44 magnum.

This is more powerful yet...

Hmmm... In that case, and having the book to work from now instead of my memory, I would say: 2 & 1/2 d6 RKA,

-2 OCV, +1 STUN Multiplier, STR Min = 15...

THey did, and it is. it is a single shot with a HUGE muzzle brake, iirc it weighs about 15 lbs, and still kicks damned hard. I have seen video of it, it is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever seen. It should lose a lot of performance due to the short barrel, and the cloud of burning powder ejected iirc was... frightening.

Like most .50 BMG weapons, it would have almost no role as a weapon for a criminal unless they are trying to recreate "Thunderbold and Lightfoot"

If they could figure out a way to make a handgun chambered for .50 Browning M2HB in any way usable by a human being' date=' I'm sure someone would...the scary thing is it would probably be legal :nonp:[/quote']

THey did, and it is. it is a single shot with a HUGE muzzle brake, iirc it weighs about 15 lbs, and still kicks damned hard. I have seen video of it, it is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever seen. It should lose a lot of performance due to the short barrel, and the cloud of burning powder ejected iirc was... frightening.

Like most .50 BMG weapons, it would have almost no role as a weapon for a criminal unless they are trying to recreate "Thunderbold and Lightfoot"

The longest barrel you can have and still call it a pistol is about 14", IIRC.

Was that the Maadi-Griffin thing?

Unless the other guy's wearing full plate armor made out of some kind of funky ceramic, definitely overkill.

OTOH, Mayfair's Underground had handguns scaled for metahumans, up to and including a 30mm(!) automatic.

The new .460 S&W magnum. It is ONLY in the monster revolver they made for the .500, and it is a lenghtened .454 casull, basically. It can use .45 Colt OR .454 CASULL as "REDUCED LOADS"!!!

It generates 65,000 PSI chamber pressure, and drives a 200 grain bullet at 2200 FPS!!! out of a bloody pistol!

That pressure is so high you can't put it in most lever action rifles. :nonp:

wow.

.454 Casull as a *reduced* load?

That's the gun you want in case you have a grizzly bear wander into the neighborhood.

JG

The longest barrel you can have and still call it a pistol is about 14", IIRC.

Was that the Maadi-Griffin thing?

Unless the other guy's wearing full plate armor made out of some kind of funky ceramic, definitely overkill.

OTOH, Mayfair's Underground had handguns scaled for metahumans, up to and including a 30mm(!) automatic.

Yeah, I think that was the gun.

I have seen big guns in books, tell me about that one.

This is something I'd like to see for Champions. We've half-assed it in our games... using the basic limitation "bulky if not in power armor or are a metahuman" kind of thing. I do think it would be scary for a 35 STR metahuman who could easily weild a couple of belt fed .50 Cals like handguns... and the kind of absolutely insanely deadly weapons that could be designed to be used by really strong, nigh-invulnerable types who don't have to worry about radiation blow back or anything like that.

Back to the topic at hand... the kind of gun here... the S&W .460 I see likely to be quite a big seller in a world with metahumans. If people today (real world) think they are justified in having a semi-automatic 7.62 carbine for "home protection"... just think about the "home protection" ads you'd see in a world with super villians! :) Heck... I wonder if any calibers smaller than .45 would have lasted is a supers world. I can't see cops ever carrying anything like 9mm in a world where penetration might be stopped by super tough skin, and it all comes down to knockdown and heavy impact weapons. I'd bet every regular patrol units in major cities would have an assault rifle with steel core rounds alongside that shotgun... at minimum.

OTOH' date=' Mayfair's Underground had handguns scaled for metahumans, up to and including a 30mm(!) automatic.[/quote']

KAZEI 5 has the 12.5mm S&W Assault Pistol as well as the 15mm 3-shot Stormbreaker.

HELLSING has the .454 Casull Longslide Automatic and the 13mm Jackal Anti-Freak Battle Gun.

It seems the past few years that as soon as a newest "most powerful" hand gun is produced somebody has to top it. I remember all through High School it was the .44 Magnum and .460 Weatherby (most powerful handgun, most powerful rifle), then in the late 80's along came the .454 Casull and the Barret "light" fifty, even then things stayed pretty static. Sure you had some limited production weapons like the .44 Automag, .445 Super Magnum, .500 Linebaugh and such but those were very limited semi-custom weapons. Seems like it was the very late 90's when the current supermagnum thing kicked off, .50 Action Express, .440 Casull, .460 Ruger, .500 S&W and now this. But I can see some value to these weapons... if you have a problem with Rhinos getting into your trash :)

I've held a .500 S&W and a .44 Magnum in my hand, I don't think you really even need a gun with the .500, just drop it on the burglars foot, he won't be going anywhere until the cops bring in a forklift to get it off of him.

As far as the .460, .454, .45 thing that is not uncommon, the title of a round is not usually all that accurate, a .44 Magnum is actually .429, I guess .43 Magnum didn't sound as good, the .38 Special can be used in the .357 Magnum because in reality both are .357" in diameter, many .30 caliber rifles are really .31" or even .32" :stupid:

there were lugers and peacemaker colts with enormous barrels that were probably better classified as carbines.

there was a carbine peacemaker for sale a while back on a website, for close to $100,000 that was still in firing condition.

then there was the 1921 thompson in mint condition with violin case that was around $65,000 with 2 drums

there were lugers and peacemaker colts with enormous barrels that were probably better classified as carbines.

there was a carbine peacemaker for sale a while back on a website, for close to $100,000 that was still in firing condition.

then there was the 1921 thompson in mint condition with violin case that was around $65,000 with 2 drums

.500 S&W is a huge handgun! My wife owns a Kimber .45, we believe in large caliber for home defense, plus it is just plain fun to shoot!

FYI: You can purchase new from Kahr Arms a new semi-automatic 1927 A-1 .45 cal Thompson carbine. You can even get a new violin case to carry it. My wife purchased one! It is a "blast" to fire and very accurate at up to 50'. For more info on the Tommyguns visit http://www.tommygun.com

years ago before the advent of that vile disgusting and mostly worthless abomination called PC, we had a mafia/gangster day during school spirit week[this was in 82, to show my age]

so assorted folks were carrying around violin cases, so I borrowed a hardshell Cello case to tote around for the day, the question was asked "Why a Cello Case, Fire Support of Course"

years ago before the advent of that vile disgusting and mostly worthless abomination called PC' date=' we had a mafia/gangster day during school spirit week[this was in 82, to show my age']

so assorted folks were carrying around violin cases, so I borrowed a hardshell Cello case to tote around for the day, the question was asked "Why a Cello Case, Fire Support of Course"

Just call in Campa and Quino and you're all set.