Trek Hero PDF available

Eodin

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on some maps and miscellaneous stuff, so my next update may take a bit longer. That and my wife's having spine surgery this coming week, so we'll see what I get accomplished this week.

ANy chance you'll make a section or version for TNG/DS9/Voyager era?

Perhaps, but not in the near future. I don't have anywhere near the number of TNG/DS9/Voyager resources as I do TOS resources, and I'd have to search a lot of web pages for raw info. Still, I'll take a look at my "Star Trek TNG Officers Manual" and "Star Trek TNG Technical Manual" and see.

Not as much done today as I wanted but there's a map of Federation space with Klingon/Romulan/Gorn borders, stats on the Galileo Shuttle and Aqua Shuttle, 2 more of the crew of the Rigel Queen, and some more info on Klingon and Romulan empires. A few other tidbits as well.

I didn't change the social limitations being in the Racial packages yet, and I may not if it get's too messy.

As far as TNG/DS9/Voyager era, that's definitely a different book. I may do that one day, once I'm relatively happy with this one. If anyone has any GOOD web sites with information I could use to extrapolate histories and building equipment, let me know or send me an email.

Until next time, may the Great Bird of the Galaxy keep all your tribbles small.:)

Sources

Gaming Resources for any post The Original Series (TOS) TreK:

Well, there was the who ICON Trek collection of books from Last Unicorn Games. There was quite a bit of inofmration and source material there. Steve Long wrote the Deep Space Nine rules/setting book. All the books had to be vetted by Paramount as well, so there won't be mcuh breaking with Trek approve canon.

The new license holders, Decipher games, have their cinematic rules system (CODA) for Star Trek (as well as Lord of the Rings). It is a fine system, but it is designed for a wider audience per se, not the detail that Hero system fans adore. Quite a bit of source tidbits in the four books released to this point as well. An aliens sourcebook is due out soon.

This website is considered the biggest player resource for Trek on the interent, check out the netbooks (all are free, many wriiten by Steve) as well as the discussion forums.

http://www.trek-rpg.net/trek/index2.htm

Hope this is a good start.

• 2 weeks later...

TNGHero.pdf is now on my website, although it's a mishmash of the old and the new. (I basicly took a copy of the TrekHero, and starting making edits in various places.) There's package deals now for Ferengi, Cardassians, Bajorans and Betazeds, some conversion notes on Decipher 'Professional', 'Edges', and 'Flaws' into Hero terms, and othe miscellaneous stuff.

I bought Decipher's ST:RPG Player's Guide for something to read while staying with my wife in the hospital, and decided to work on it for a while. More later...

All I can say is:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

WOW!

Eodin, how the heck is my little vampire conversion 'sposed to compete with this? The quality is excellent, it looks almost professional, and it's a good read. Are you bucking for a job in the RPG market somewhere? A fully fleshed out version of this would absolutely blow my mind, I'm sure. Very good job, sir.

Please let me know what program you used for the layout. My MSWord documents would never look this good.

Agent333, I used MS Word 2000 to create the document before running it through PDF995. I used to be a Tech Writer and Layout manager years ago. I do have to say that much of the racial descriptions for TNG/DS9 races was pulled from various web sites, so I can't claim anything other than the racial packages I created on those.

And no, I'm not bucking for an RPG job...I have a great job as a programmer/analyst. I'm just giving back to the gaming community that's given me so much fun over the years.

Constructive Comment

The TNG Hero is off to a great start!

I was reviewing things, realizing that things can always be changed by the GM, but I wonder about the derived values of for the phaser. When you constructed them for Trek Hero (since the values in TNG Hero appear to be the same thus far), did you draw any inspiration from the Multi Purpose Energy Weapon on page 154 of Space Hero? According to Steve, he created it based on a TNG phaser (down to the "Heat Rocks" setting).

In comparison (basically the same as yours with wide angle settings for each option as well), I note that your Disintegrate setting for damage is 18+2D6 based on RKA 8d6 explosion... whereas the MPEW listed RKA 6d6 NND (except for Energy Fields). What do you think? I like the RKA 8D6, but the NND is also quite attractive as well. I personally think that with the lethality of phasers in the Trek universe (heck, you see it in the Decipher rules, settings 9 to 16 in a phaser are all 'Kill' results, the precursor ICON rules simply kept on piling on more dice with even bigger bonuses to damage).

Also, the number of charges available for the various weapons seem a bit less in comparison... then again, the MPEW is a 608 point item.

Anyway, food for thought. Keep up the excellent work. By the way, Decipher recently released the Aliens sourcebook, nearly 60 aliens developed.

I have read (and re-read) the Multipurpose Energy Weapon, and have come to the conclusion that the GMs may choose whichever one they like. My personal feeling on the NND vs. any FF ED (1+) is it's not quite right. Phaser fire can bring down an energy wall (as in when the Enterprise fired on the forcewall surrounding Vaal), and can lead to abuse (20 PD 1 ED FF would be immunity to phasers). And if the Borg can adapt their forcefields to ignore phasers, then they've got more than 1 ED in their FF). That's my take, anyway.

I haven't finished refiguring the damage for all 16 settings, but I'm going to use the same style of damage as I did before...EBs and RKAs with Standard Effect components, but no NND. I will use increased/reduced END to make the use per level more appropriate.

:)

Sounds Good

I find your design views logical. It just goes to show how there are often more than one way to achieve a goal. I will look forward to seeing your adjustments for the phasers by srtting, as well as all other refinements to the TNG Hero pdf. I'll start thinking about ship design matters as they present themselves.

Charles

Next revision to TNGHero

Well, the next minor revision of TNGHero is up. Mostly some tweaks to the Racial packages, and to the phasers. I think there's a few other things, but that's mostly it at this point.

With the races, I still have to do the Dominion and Borg, and that's going to take me a little more thinking. And my brain is tired from figuring the phasers...

I redesigned the phasers to use charges instead of an END Battery, just because of the way the damages in each setting now work versus how much END they use under normal circumstances. I'm still not happy with the damage writeup...to convert 512 cubic meters of rock to rubble (5 DEF/ 25 BODY) means doing 55 BODY in an attack, which becomes an 18d6 RKA Attack. If a Borg drone can resist an 18d6 RKA (Setting 16 from a Phaser Rifle), thats a 108ED FF (60 ED FF if you stick to SE rules for the damage). Mama mia. Oh well. More to come.

Superb

You can now really understand the dilemma with phasers and their powers. Of course, in Star Trek, the GM can simply create some power to obviates the lethality of the weapons (plot device or what?).

Anyway, I think taking this approach with ratcheting up the RKA per setting works fine, when Last Unicorn Games did the damage tables for phasers, they increased the values astronomically as well up through setting 16. Decipher (which has similar designers, using a refined version of the LUG system), simply made setting 9 and higher a Kill (and they did quantify the amount of rock that can be blown/disintegrated).

I also like what you did with the charges for energy/shot use of the weapon and how you tied the strength of a charge to wide beam use. If I recall, didn't Captain Tracy is ST:TOS episode "Omega Glory" (?) said they killed "thousands of Coms" with their phasers in a pitched battle (and lost).

I still wonder about the NND for the MPEW, but thats me:)

Charles

Lord Liaden...THANKS! That's a perfect idea. My brain was so tired from number-crunching I was overlooking the obvious.

ImperialOne/Charles...what you could do with the NND if you want to give it a try...I'd do something like make the Defense either 10+ ED in the FF, or Hardened ED FF, or something similar. 1+ ED FF means phasers in starship combat would never do damage to another starship with its shields up.

Just an FYI

I engaged Steve Long in an attempt to understand his thinking behind MPEW, here is a cut/paste just for our benefit:

"First, you're assuming the MPEW is a direct attempt to mirror a Trek phaser. That's not correct. It's obviously inspired by the phaser; I wouldn't deny that for a minute. But it's not a direct correlate, so complaining that "it's not quite right" or "it doesn't work just like a phaser ought to work" is missing the point, unless you're just using it as an example.

Second, the GM can define an NND defense as whatever he wants given the campaign's parameters. Though the rules generally forbid establishing "defense thresholds" for NNDs (like "defense is 10+ PD FF"), there's no reason a GM couldn't allow that if he wants to. It's a lot less problematic in a Heroic game where characters buy equipment with points and everyone has the same sort of weapon and knows how it works."

Hmmn. Something for me to reflect on, but I love your work as is.

;) ;) ;)

...Interesting...

So the MPEW is just inspired by a phaser, it's not a phaser "without the lawyers". Okay, no problem then.

ImperialOne/Charles, when you've run a game or two with the material, let me know how it goes. I'm always interested in possible tweaks. Same goes for anyone else using the material. Rule #3 of writing...Feedback is Good.

:)

Now if I can get the Dominion and the Borg done, find some valid and readable UFP/Cardassian/Klingon/etc. starmaps to pull off the web, and build a few starships, that would make for a good week or two...

I was just looking at your TOS file again (nice work, once again), and thinking about your writeups for the Vulcan nerve pinch, and I think you can add the Concentration limitation to bring those points down some. Spock never really seemed to use the nerve pinch in the middle of a highly acrobatic fight...usually as a surprise move against a bored guard or a combatant who's being held by Kirk.

Still pretty expensive this way, but saving a few points here and there can't hurt. Maybe someone else can suggest some other appropriate limitations and we can tame this beast....

Next minor revision

I've made some tweaks to the racial packages, and made my first stab at the Dominion changelings, vorta, jem'hadar and the Borg packages. Added some 23rd century vs. 24th century tidbits in a few places.

I haven't been able to find a 24th century Federation map with political borders yet online, and haven't had a chance to build any starships yet, but the work goes on.

Peregrine, I started with my FASA TrekHero and started editing to make TNGTrek, so please bear with me. As I have time and information, the FASA bits will be replaced as appropriate.

Captain Obvious, I'll have to give the Concentration limit some thought...I agree that expensive puppy needs to come down in cost if at all possible...

Re: Next minor revision

Originally posted by Eodin

Peregrine, I started with my FASA TrekHero and started editing to make TNGTrek, so please bear with me. As I have time and information, the FASA bits will be replaced as appropriate.

Don't misunderstand me... I love the FASATrek universe. I've set many games (face-to-face and PBeM) in my own variant of the FASATrek universe. I have tended to dislike where Paramount intentionally diverged from FASA's work. That said, it would take a full reinvention of the TNG/DS9 setting to make it consistent with FASATrek, so great has the divergence become. Pity.